Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HB Motorwerks; Hamptonroads VA

HB Motorwerks; Hamptonroads VA

I just want to say to all the folks living in the Hamptonroads VA who are looking for an alternative to the dealer that Lester (VW) and Paul (Audi) are the guys you want. There shop is located in Chesapeake VA and there work is top shelf. Here are some engines Paul has built with custom exhaust manifolds and turbo piping. Paul is currently working on my RS6. He is replacing the Trans, EGT sensors, EVAP sensor, motor mounts solenoid, o2 sensors and the timing belt service. They are really good.

Dang- You guys with choices

make me soooooo jealous. I am very limited in quality repair shops to do work on my RS in Central Arkansas. Currently, my service tech is 2 hours away which makes a 4 hour round trip for service work. 8 hours of round trip if the car has to stay at the shop for more than a day. Ooooooof!

Congrats on finding someone you are happy with to do your service work. Good luck with the repair.

Well since we have the exhaust out of the car, I found a reason to make some improvements. I am sending the whole thing out and getting it Ceramic Coated here in VB. From the manifolds back to the mufflers. Paul has already changed out the Flex Couplings and we change all the joints to V-Band type clamps. See Pics

Flex Couplings

V-Band Clamps

Nice work. The entire exhaust? Those V-Band clamp joints must have took some work to fab. I like it. Did you gut the CATS?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I'm not going to gut the cats, it just leads to more CEL's in my opinion. The clamps actually came from Vibrant Performance. They are nice though. Yes I am having the entire exhaust ceramic coated from the manifold back to the mufflers. I just don't like rust and they help cut heat from the manifolds up in the engine bay.

A big job indeed.

I have ceramic coated hot parts on both my Toyota's but I started at the cylinder head. Exhaust manifold, turbo turbine housing, downpipe all ceramic coated. They look as nice today as 10yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Well since we have the exhaust out of the car, I found a reason to make some improvements. I am sending the whole thing out and getting it Ceramic Coated here in VB. From the manifolds back to the mufflers. Paul has already changed out the Flex Couplings and we change all the joints to V-Band type clamps. See Pics

Flex Couplings

V-Band Clamps

Hmmm, turbo housing. Good idea. Thanks Dave for costing me more money with your great ideas.

Who loves ya baby

Hmmm, turbo housing. Good idea. Thanks Dave for costing me more money with your great ideas.

I just talked to Paul and he said we was going to suggest I did it. I guess great minds think alike, right?

If you have the deep pockets all kinds of people will line up to stick their hands in your pockets.

That said, I would not do it. I would leave the turbos and exhaust manifolds alone. Esp the turbos.....I would not disturb them because I dont have the specs on the turbine housings to know for 100% sure there is clearance to add the slight thickness of the ceramic coating. When you go disturbing used turbos and opening them up after they have spun just fine for 70k....you never know what will happen. While it should be ok....on this car it means dropping the engine again if problems occur. Tough call.

Who has deep pockets? Surely not me. I am a retired Army Vet living on a fixed income. See this cautious Dave is not much fun. I like the other Dave who throws caution to the wind. Paul was concerned with that as well and he has not fully committed to touching the Turbo's. He will advise me if he doesn't think its a good idea, but if I insist he'll have it done. Now I have to consider this possibility simply because it is the logical thing to do.

Merry Christmas to ya buddy. Leave them alone.

Who has deep pockets? Surely not me. I am a retired Army Vet living on a fixed income. See this cautious Dave is not much fun. I like the other Dave who throws caution to the wind. Paul was concerned with that as well and he has not fully committed to touching the Turbo's. He will advise me if he doesn't think its a good idea, but if I insist he'll have it done. Now I have to consider this possibility simply because it is the logical thing to do.

Turbo's & Ceramic Coating

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Merry Christmas to ya buddy. Leave them alone.

Merry xmas to u Dave.

Well after some deliberation. Dave & Paul have convinced me to leave the turbo's alone during this ceramic phase I'm having. They both had the same concerns about taking the turbo's apart after 71K miles just for coating the housing. I am a man of reason, so I will go forward without touching the turbo's. Paul got really technical about the turbo's and why we shouldn't take them apart. I have to trust the technical expertise of both these guys as this is the first turbo powered car I have ever owned.

I'm not doing any ceramic coating now. I am going to get new Sway Bars though. Here are more pics of the process.

Last edited by GEN XER; December 29th, 2009 at 02:26.

Have you guys pressure tested your intercoolers while they're easily accessible? They both look kind of oily on the lower seam.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Have you guys pressure tested your intercoolers while they're easily accessible? They both look kind of oily on the lower seam.
    I am having them tested and cleaned. Luckily for me Paul can weld.

I am having them tested and cleaned. Luckily for me Paul can weld.
    I see. Looks like they're leaking in the same place mine was, I wonder what's causing this consistent failure on all of our cars? It looks like everything's coming along nicely. I have to admit I'm slightly upset that your car is getting a new trans, TC, exhaust work, etc, and it appears it will be done sooner than mine, which is in for a measly auxiliary coolant pump.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    I see. Looks like they're leaking in the same place mine was, I wonder what's causing this consistent failure on all of our cars? It looks like everything's coming along nicely. I have to admit I'm slightly upset that your car is getting a new trans, TC, exhaust work, etc, and it appears it will be done sooner than mine, which is in for a measly auxiliary coolant pump.
    Where were yours leaking from? I hope along the bead/weld. It should be done by the beginning of next week with Thur being New Years Eve and all and if we don't get any more snow.