Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HB Motorwerks; Hamptonroads VA

Willie,

Why weld blown intercoolers when Fidelity will put brand new ones on?

I just noticed these pics.

Intercoolers are shot.

Did you fix them?

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    I am having them tested and cleaned. Luckily for me Paul can weld.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Willie,

Why weld blown intercoolers when Fidelity will put brand new ones on?

I just noticed these pics.

Intercoolers are shot.

Did you fix them?
    They did not have leaks and since there were no codes for boost problems or leaks Fidelity wouldn't even discuss it. I tried to get the IC and turbo's replaced.

I drove the car today we found the last leak of three. The tranny leaked from the oil cooler lines next to the trans, they only needed to be tightened. The PS hose leaked, bad hose clamp and today there was a coolant leak again a bad hose clamp. The drive was like driving a new car, now I know why I could not get by a 5.7L challenger. The car had a slipping tranny. After the car warmed up and I had the temps up I put it in S drive and gave it study gas and it gave me a study smile. It pulled like a train shift after shift brought more and more power to the road very quickly until I let off at about 100mph, the downshifts from 100 were very crisp and super smooth. I now see what I was missing.

Finally the Exhaust.

From the Rear.

From resonators back you can use 500 degree paint.

From here forward use 1500 degree or better. There is a big difference in heat from this section forward. We used 2000 degrees from here forward.

Vibrant V-Bands here.

Very Very hot here.

Trans

Back together again

What are the two new green lines I see going through the bulkhead?
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    What are the two new green lines I see going through the bulkhead?
    Eagle Eye. We did not know what this was either as it starts in the engine bay so we followed it all the way back to the end of the exhaust and found out it is the vacuum line for the MTM exhaust baffle. Whoever put this in could have done a better job in our opinion.

Congrats on the discovered power! Nice pics of the job
    210K miles rolled

Thanks Max. My Sways will be here in two days. I will post up pics of the install.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Congrats on the discovered power! Nice pics of the job

I look forward to hearing your

Thanks Max. My Sways will be here in two days. I will post up pics of the install.
    impression of the sways. IMHO- it was one of the best bang for the buck mod I did on the car.
    210K miles rolled

BTW guys a new fuel filter really makes a difference. I have all the maint records from the previous owner and I could not find anything showing a fuel filter change so there is know telling how long it had been on there, but I notice the difference at idle. I use to have a slight miss or stumble at idle, its gone now. It idles really smooth now.

impression of the sways. IMHO- it was one of the best bang for the buck mod I did on the car.
    I'm sure I will love them. I have a set of H&R sways on my GTI and they are just awesome.

From the looks of the intercooler end tanks. They are leaking. Boost leaks may not trigger any codes. Depending on the size of the leak...what ends up happening is this.

boost level never reaches peak.....ecu keeps wastegates closed and turbo spins faster.....boost level gets closer to peak but now the turbos are spinning faster than needed.

Get the picture.

Should have pressure tested the intercoolers. That would have gotten Fidelity to pay for them. Show them pressure test results.

BTW, nice job on the thread. The pics were fun to look over. Give your buddies at the shop a pat on the back. Good guys.

Oh and I still would take that IC off and pressure test it. hehe

They did not have leaks and since there were no codes for boost problems or leaks Fidelity wouldn't even discuss it. I tried to get the IC and turbo's replaced.

From the looks of the intercooler end tanks. They are leaking. Boost leaks may not trigger any codes. Depending on the size of the leak...what ends up happening is this.

boost level never reaches peak.....ecu keeps wastegates closed and turbo spins faster.....boost level gets closer to peak but now the turbos are spinning faster than needed.

Get the picture.

Should have pressure tested the intercoolers. That would have gotten Fidelity to pay for them. Show them pressure test results.

BTW, nice job on the thread. The pics were fun to look over. Give your buddies at the shop a pat on the back. Good guys.

Oh and I still would take that IC off and pressure test it. hehe
    They were pressure tested. We found no leaks. I wanted there to be leaks so I could have them replace but no such luck.

That oil trail is normally a good indicator. But if you pressure tested thats all you could do.

Enjoy the ride.

Max,

Did you have any linkages changed when u did your sways? Looking at the links where the sway bar and control arm connect, it seems like there may be a lot of forces at play and may need upgrading.

Not to butt in, but I installed my H-sports over 12,000 miles ago and have never had any trouble with the stock sway bar links. I did however have to trim a small channel in the lower engine shield where the sway bar protrudes on the way towards the control arm on each side.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Not that I know

Max,

Did you have any linkages changed when u did your sways? Looking at the links where the sway bar and control arm connect, it seems like there may be a lot of forces at play and may need upgrading.
    of- I'm sure they stealership would have charged me an arm & leg and first child if any part had to be changed. I've not heard of anyone else that had these put on doing it either. Again, take my advice with a grain of salt as I have no mechanical background on these things.
    210K miles rolled

The real question is....

Do you answer more than 71% of the calls to your office? Hehe

of- I'm sure they stealership would have charged me an arm & leg and first child if any part had to be changed. I've not heard of anyone else that had these put on doing it either. Again, take my advice with a grain of salt as I have no mechanical background on these things.

Threadjacker- LOL- I don't answer the phone

The real question is....

Do you answer more than 71% of the calls to your office? Hehe
    I've trained my clients to email their requests with that strategy...Allows me to document each and every item- no "freebies" for the constant "5 minute questions"- As you all know- I have important forum posts to tend to.

The idiotic tax questions never ended such as:

1) Can I deduct my pet dog collar I bought him 3 years ago? Answer: only if he is a seeing eye dog and you better have Bruce Lee do the eye gouge on you when the IRS letter arrives
    2) Can I deduct my grandma's undies as a medical device?
    Sure- as long as she has loose bowels and you have a doctor's note. However; maintaining the documentation can be a smelly situation
    3) Can I deduct...(make up your own)

I did 10 years at Ernst & Young in the tax department reading and living the code. Went out on my own about 15 years ago and haven't looked back. Also, I've shed most of my tax work due to the uneasy feeling of being a "bill-collector".

It just never mattered- If you saved a client thousands on their taxes- they would complain that they still had to send in $5 (sound like anyone you know?). What a pain in the a** it became.

For example, the tax partner at Ernst I worked with and I reviewed a large bank's tax returns and got them back over $1 mil in taxes for 3 years of prior year filed returns. The issue was missed by their internal and external accountants. Mind you- this was a "permanent" difference and not even a timing difference. Do you think they changed accountants after this?- Hell no; they stuck with same idiots that had made the mistake. However; we did make a hefty fee for the review, and I did marry a lady (she actually recommended us to the bank for the review) that was in their tax department so it all worked out for me in the long run.

I enjoy the CFO consulting and computer accounting software work that now forms the majority of our practice. It provides me the luxury of doing the work for the most part on my time schedule. The client's don't care if I program or resolve their issue in the dead of night, just as long as they get a fix to the issue.

Of course, I've heard of some on this forum- that have far more posts than me and purport to work- that stay on the golf course quite often, forming get togethers for wrenching parties, or shining various items with Mop & Glow. :cool2: LOL

The answer to question word ratio on this one is way out of wack. I'm sure more than you wanted to know but I had some time to kill as I think of who I'm going to bill for the time that just passed...LOL
    Last edited by MaxRS6; January 9th, 2010 at 02:29.
    210K miles rolled