Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does My Warranty Cover This?

No. I was hoping it did. If not then what is the solution

1) Remove brake fluid (yellow) cap behind headlight housing.

2) Pull black plastic shroud that covers brake fluid reservoir straight up, it will take a little effort. This will give you a tiny bit more room to work.

3) Locate the two spring steel bale wires that hold the black plastic back of headlight housing onto the lens housing. Release (pivot) them from their stops, they come loose pretty easily, use a slot screwdriver if you need to, space is tight.

4) Push black plastic housing away from lens housing to open a gap.

5) You'll see the backs of the bulbs and wires in there. Steal wife's blow dryer (or use your own if you're a beemer driver.) Position blow dryer to blow hot air into gap.

6) Open a beer or three. You'll be idle for the next hour or so. Let hot air blow into the gap until you don't see any droplets on the lens. (1/2 hour?) Then let it blow for another 15 minutes. Let the whole thing cool for another half an hour.

6) Put it back together. Problem solved.

I literally JUST went through this today. I got my RS6 three days ago (the Avus silver low mile car from Cali, it is SO clean...) I started the updates (19" S5 wheels, LED tails, LED license plate bulbs, iPhone adaptor... and 6000k xenon bulbs ((look great, a nice blue vs. the stock yellow-ish.)) But I failed to put the back of the headlight on snug, went through the car wash, and... two hours later mist in the headlight. Bad shit, that. But the blow-dryer technique fixed it right up. I'm sure the stealership would charge $400 for the same.

Why not replace a headlight under warranty? It shouldn't have condensation and it will impact the performance of the headlight. You could even say the lower output and dazzle affect could be dangerous!

I had a Chrysler Conquest (aka Mitsubishi Starion) that had about a dozen fog lights replaced uder warranty and extended warranty due to condensation. I think the dealer wanted some extra labor $$$ because I wasn't asking to have them repaired. The funny thing is that they never tried to figure out why they were getting wet inside. Maybe there was an missing or dislodged air deflector. They must not have wanted to stop their money train...

Anyway, maybe there is a significant cause for the condensation in your headlight and the cause and the headlight could be a warranty claim. Or maybe the bulb is a little loose allowing some moisture in and the hairdryer and tight reinstall of the bulb will cure it all!

Thanks for the comments. I am taking it back to the shop where they changed the Trans as they had all this taken apart and probably dislodged the headlight in the process. I will recommend the hairdryer method as a fix for drying the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by droogie5 View Post
    ...I got my RS6 three days ago (the Avus silver low mile car from Cali..
    Is this the one from Eureka, CA at 18,000 miles or so?
    They wanted $42k?

If so, this is the one from the thread "Price keeps dropping" or something like that...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Is this the one from Eureka, CA at 18,000 miles or so?
    They wanted $42k?

If so, this is the one from the thread "Price keeps dropping" or something like that...
    No, the folks in Eureka were stuck at 42k, wasn't going to pay that.

My car was the one in Santa Barbera, 34k miles. Aggressively maintained, DRC and timing belt just done. Never really had any problems of any kind in the maintenance history.

Sooo loving it.

One of the coolest things about driving it is it's invisible to the average schmo, and a rock star to car guys.

Already stepped on an S5, Mustang GT, an e39 M3 with mods and like six different fart-can civics... in the first three days.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    I have condensation in my drivers side headlight. Is this covered?
    The Headlights are covered under the Fidelity Gold plan. It is simpler to just get a new headlight.

The Headlights are covered under the Fidelity Gold plan. It is simpler to just get a new headlight.
    I don't have warranty, but I start face a problem also with right headlight and when I contact the dealer they told me that is a one piece part and there is no repair kit (seals, cover) for that one. I have to go for a brand new one which cost $1150USD!!!!! The problem is when I go for car washing, little bit of water appear inside with foggy cover. Any idea guys how can i get this sorted out!!
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

Man $1150, now I know I'm glad I got the warranty. The fog probably had a bad seal and high pressure water gets right by it.

Congrats, sounds like the low mileage cars are getting snapped up. Post up some pics and start a thread.

Your statement about invisible and rock star status among car guys is so funny. You could not be more correct.

No, the folks in Eureka were stuck at 42k, wasn't going to pay that.

My car was the one in Santa Barbera, 34k miles. Aggressively maintained, DRC and timing belt just done. Never really had any problems of any kind in the maintenance history.

Sooo loving it.

One of the coolest things about driving it is it's invisible to the average schmo, and a rock star to car guys.

Already stepped on an S5, Mustang GT, an e39 M3 with mods and like six different fart-can civics... in the first three days.

Man $1150, now I know I'm glad I got the warranty. The fog probably had a bad seal and high pressure water gets right by it.
    Yes, exactly that is the issue. but is there anyway to get a new seals or cover instead of replacing whole headlight just becuase of damaged seal!! does not make sense!
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

I dont know of a way to re-seal the lense but I think there is a way.

Wait one...
    There is a way. Let me do a little zen recall and digging to find the write up. Here are the pix, though, so I know it can be done (99% sure that C5 A6 4.2 headlights are the same as RS6). This guy blacked out his inner reflectors and changed the projectors:

Gratuitious shot w/lambo wheels:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights1.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	9115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights2.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	9116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights3.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	9117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights4.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	9118  
    Last edited by Spidercat; January 19th, 2010 at 10:20.

1) Remove brake fluid (yellow) cap behind headlight housing.

2) Pull black plastic shroud that covers brake fluid reservoir straight up, it will take a little effort. This will give you a tiny bit more room to work.

3) Locate the two spring steel bale wires that hold the black plastic back of headlight housing onto the lens housing. Release (pivot) them from their stops, they come loose pretty easily, use a slot screwdriver if you need to, space is tight.

4) Push black plastic housing away from lens housing to open a gap.

5) You'll see the backs of the bulbs and wires in there. Steal wife's blow dryer (or use your own if you're a beemer driver.) Position blow dryer to blow hot air into gap.

6) Open a beer or three. You'll be idle for the next hour or so. Let hot air blow into the gap until you don't see any droplets on the lens. (1/2 hour?) Then let it blow for another 15 minutes. Let the whole thing cool for another half an hour.

6) Put it back together. Problem solved.

I literally JUST went through this today. I got my RS6 three days ago (the Avus silver low mile car from Cali, it is SO clean...) I started the updates (19" S5 wheels, LED tails, LED license plate bulbs, iPhone adaptor... and 6000k xenon bulbs ((look great, a nice blue vs. the stock yellow-ish.)) But I failed to put the back of the headlight on snug, went through the car wash, and... two hours later mist in the headlight. Bad shit, that. But the blow-dryer technique fixed it right up. I'm sure the stealership would charge $400 for the same.
    This technique has been employed. I was so embarrassed to find one of the steel clamps on the back of the housing was off and therefore the seal was broke.

BOOM! No more water. Damn I forgot to take before and after pics.

^^ Congrats on getting the H20 out ^^
    210K miles rolled

So glad I could help!

The satisfaction of snapping that clip into place on a dried out housing, for me, is as good as 290 straight yards off the tee.

... but I'm odd that way...

:trash:

This technique has been employed. I was so embarrassed to find one of the steel clamps on the back of the housing was off and therefore the seal was broke.
    Sorry, I guess I win the retard prize for not reading more than 3 posts above.