Thread: Noises?

Noises?

Anyone else getting a "che che che" continuing sound from their AC systems? Also has anyone confirmed that the whine that starts around 2k rpm is a turbo whine. I find it mildly annoying when doing in city driving. It's no problem on the highway since the wind noise off the A pillers drowns it out. I am not flaming, this is a fantastic ride and I'm just trying to make the overall experience perfect.

Re: Noises?

Originally posted by rsjoe
    Anyone else getting a "che che che" continuing sound from their AC systems?
    Nope - you might have something rubbing / catching in the engine compartment perhaps? Have you tried lifting the hood and listening to it at tickover?

Wind your window down some time when you're driving past something that will reflect the sound back at you and let the revs slowly climb from about 1500rpm (tip mode is good for doing this) - if you can hear the annoying whine get louder and higher pitched from outside as well as inside, then it's probably the turbos. It should be more of a whistle than a whine thought.

Also try turning the aircon off - if that stops the noise, it's a pusher that moves warm air away from the AC compressor & there's not a lot you can do about it.

It could also be transmission noise - they are a little whiny and it is right underneath where the driver sits, so you will hear it.

Finally, it has been suggested that something in the engine bay emits radio inteference and I would tend to agree - in the UK, Radio 4 on FM often picks up a whining noise that varies with rpms! Try turning the stereo off (not down, so the speakers powner down) and if the noise stops it's radio inteference.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Alternator whine

I can confirm what you describe as alternator whine. My car has been at the dealer for nearly a week now fixing it. I'm afraid this is a problem with all the US spec cars. I complained about it the second time I took the car for a test drive. Initially, I was told that all the cars are doing it, so it meets spec. Obviously this was not acceptable. We tried a few things initially, such as swapping amps and the head unit. The problem is simple and predictable. Because of where the battery was located, they ran the large power cable right next to all the speaker wires, which induces engine whine through the speakers. After talking the engineer, they approved my dealer repair it by shielding the cables with foil tape and ground them to the car. They would not approve routing the power outside the car. I am told my car will be fixed after the holiday.

Hi.My car was doing the same in the beginning too,but now it has 19k km behind and the noise is gone.I dont remember at exactly which point it disappeared,but it definately did.Maybe its just when the turbo is new or something.I dont think it means there is something wrong

I don't think we are talking about the same noise. Is your battery located in the same place as US (right rear of trunk)? It is virtually impossible not to have noise induced with a power cable carrying high amps next to speaker wire not to create noise.

Re: Noises?

Originally posted by rsjoe
    Anyone else getting a "che che che" continuing sound from their AC systems? Also has anyone confirmed that the whine that starts around 2k rpm is a turbo whine. I find it mildly annoying when doing in city driving. It's no problem on the highway since the wind noise off the A pillers drowns it out. I am not flaming, this is a fantastic ride and I'm just trying to make the overall experience perfect.
    I love the turbo whine It turns heads.
    ----
    Jordan Conley
    03 RS6
    01 TT Roadster
    95 A6Q 2.8
    [IMG]http://www.rs6.com/gfx/racing/001a.jpg[/IMG]

no beef here

1) The 'che che che' kind of sound coming from AC might be the same that plagued the B5 S4s. Remember the little fan that was between the ashtray and the radio? Listen in that section to see if the noise is coming from there.

2) The whine I still believe is from the turbos, but can't say so with 100% certainty. Most of the time I ride with the radio on, and I don't hear it. I think that the noise would be more pronounced with it on. Also, it's not coming through the speakers, as it seems to come from the general area where my gas pedal is at.

"che che che" and whine

The "che che che" noise is coming from the radio/vent area and does not happen if you shut down the hvac system. The whine is definitely most pronounced at the right side of the glove box in the passenger area. It's the sound that metal bearings would make though it doesn't rise to the level I've had with some aftermarket superchargers. If you open the hood and have someone rev car between 2-3k rpm you can't hear it when looking into the engine bay. If you turn sound system on or crack a window you can't hear it. It's like the sound on the high frequency portion of a hearing test. It may even be a resonance created by some engine component, but I'm hoping it is the alternator theory, that should be easy to check out.

some tests

More testing on my part has yielded an interesting output.

1) I really can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from, other then it's by the car's firewall general region.

2) Sound is more prounounced in 1st and 2nd gear, as it goes away (very faint) in 3rd gear. This could be also because the engine rumble seems higher from exhaust at 3rd gear.

3) Sound is faint, but was there nonetheless at about 1800 RPM. It builds noise strenght up to 3000 RPM, where it seems to be at its highest pitch level.

4) Car was not fully warm yet, as oil temperature was only registering 150 degrees F.

5) The noise does not bother me one bit. I just decided to pay more attention on the daily commute today, mostly city driving. I had the car in Tiptronic mode, so I could control the shifting, and try to hear the noise level.

6) Cracking the window open did not help increase whine noise level.

7) I still believe it might be coming from the turbos, but whatever anyone finds out, would be great to share.

Talking

Picked up car today and noise appears to be fixed. Cables were wrapped in foid, insulated and grounded to chassis. So far, do not hear any alternator whine.

I suspected it was a shielding issue

After owning MANY turbos, I knew this was not "Turbo whine."

Can you detail more specifically what section they wrapped and the length?

Yeah, that whine bugs me, too. I think I'm going to have my dealer wrap & ground things as previously posted.

Another weird electronic annoyance: In our community, we use transponders (little black disc's that stick to the window with a suction cup) to automatically open the security gates.

In our A6, we put it in the recommended spot which is at the bottom, left corner of the windshield. However, in the RS6, the transponder would not work in that position. We had to stick it on the rear side window now. Kind of a pain. I wonder what is causing the problem...
    -Kyle
    [url]http://www.kyle-bailey.com[/url]

2003 RS6
    2004 A8L

In answer to the question about what how the cables were isulated, the entire speaker cable harness and power line had to be wrapped. The rear seat and passenger seat were removed. The cables were wrapped in foil first. Ground wires were connected from the foil to the chassis. The cables were then wrapped with tap (like duct tape) to insulate again. It took about 4 hours to wrap the cables. Total time spent on the car was almost twenty hours. Audi may come up with another solution for other cars, such as routing the power line outside the car or some other place than next to the speaker harness.

mklein - what's the name of the dealer

who did this job?

Originally posted by mklein511
    Picked up car today and noise appears to be fixed. Cables were wrapped in foid, insulated and grounded to chassis. So far, do not hear any alternator whine.
    Great to hear. The sound is similar to when an aftermarket sound system is put in a car with poorly insulated wires. Nice to hear it was fixed.

One thing i noticed (not really a complaint) was that there are a few rattles coming from inside the cabin towards the rear. They're not loud (very faint) but there. I was a little suprised to hear rattles on a car that is so new. I was wondering if any other members had experienced minor rattles as well or if the guys at quattro just left some loose parts in my car

Ben

Originally posted by Benman
    or if the guys at quattro just left some loose parts in my car
    They kind of did in mine.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

My car was fixed by Nalley Audi (North Atlanta-Roswell). Took it for a good drive last nite and did not hear any appreciable whine. That made a huge difference.