Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Tranny Issues be with the Fluid

I made a post about the "life time" fluid almost a year ago after doing some research. The SAME fluid that Audi uses for the transmission is the SAME fluid ZF recomends and sell. ZF states that the fluid be changed every 60k km....

I recommend 30K or never if it passed 70-80K, however i don't do fluid change as a service. Is warranty covers fluid change? I don't think so. TC failure is caused by dirty fluid. If you change it regularly the tranny and TC will last way longer. Insurance is about making $ for them. It would cost too much for everyone's fluid change. They rather just pay a couple TC replacement. This is the flaw of any warranty. Frequently replaced fluid with LubeGuard will save the TC, but if the TC is gone already it is a big mistake not to rebuild the tranny when it is out. It would save $ on the long run. If the TC is gone the valve body and the tranny is full of dirt anyway.
    05 Cayenne turbo

I can deal with most of what you said. Only differ where it comes to insurance.

Fidelity/Audi do not act as most insurance companies do. I do think you can get them to pop off the pan during a TC repair and inspect for debris.

Other than that....I like the 30k change interval. I will do mine at 35k along with the major service.

Lastly, I will change/refill with Audi mineral oil. For many reasons but mostly do not want to mix oils.

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    I recommend 30K or never if it passed 70-80K, however i don't do fluid change as a service. Is warranty covers fluid change? I don't think so. TC failure is caused by dirty fluid. If you change it regularly the tranny and TC will last way longer. Insurance is about making $ for them. It would cost too much for everyone's fluid change. They rather just pay a couple TC replacement. This is the flaw of any warranty. Frequently replaced fluid with LubeGuard will save the TC, but if the TC is gone already it is a big mistake not to rebuild the tranny when it is out. It would save $ on the long run. If the TC is gone the valve body and the tranny is full of dirt anyway.

What I try to do here is bring what I think are superior products to what we currently use. I know full well some are going to go with what they know and trust. I know most of us use synthetic oil in most of our vehicles, even those that don't require synthetic, why, because we know synthetic is superior to conventional oil. It only stands to reason that if a synthetic works better in the engine then it will work better in the tranny and in the gear boxes. I prefer to use what I think are superior performing lubricants and coolants, and I know they are better because of Oil Analysis (science) and not because someone told me it works better. Brian the owner of BND is not just some guy mixing chemicals in his backyard, he is a respected Physicist and a Chemist who left the industry because he wanted to make a better product than what was being offered by the current players. Oil analysis prove that I have less engine wear (Alu, Iron, and Brass) using Quantum Blue oils over any off the shelf oil. The analysis also shows that the Zinc and Phosphorus (wear protection) levels are 3 to 4 times higher in the virgin sample and in the samples after 10K miles. I will be replacing my tranny oil with the improved upon oil from BND, because I trust it. I just hope I'm not to late. I got 69,xxx miles on mine right now, and sometimes I feel a harsh thud when it kicks down from 5th gear at WOT. I will have about half a gallon left in the TC, so I will probably have to do another change somewhere around 25-30K miles, or should I do it sooner?
    Last edited by GEN XER; November 26th, 2009 at 22:10.

FWIW, we had Qisha a while back offer his advice (similar to TozoM8):
    http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?...ighlight=fluid
    "The OE TCU Software is made to assure a lifecycle run of approx. 150.000KM, combined with proper service of course. TCU tuning gives benefits in shift times an earlier converter lock-up, part of transfering higher input torque leading to a higher internal temperature and higher wear with reduced overall lifespan. FYI the oil used in modern automatic transmissions do have a viscosity of 33 mm˛/s at 40° celcius, at 100° celsius only 7 mm˛/s. The RS6 does have a 2nd oil cooler in addition to a heat sink, to assure the transmission oil temperature stays within the needed range. This works well with OE specs. For tuned cars the only recommendable workflows are a transmission oil change every 15.000KM and 2nd to that a transmission oil filter change every 30.000KM. This does not prevent higher wear but copes with the reduced oil service life.

Ask your dealer for the TCU software status and forward it to me. I doublecheck on it.

Qisha"

Granted, this advice is for modded TCU, but the reasoning is the same.

Willie,

If your going to change to a different oil then do a complete flush. Run new fluid thru and pull the return oil cooler line and empty the old out as you pump in the new. Keep flushing till new fluid comes out the return drain. Just like bleeding brakes. This is the only way to properly flush out all of the old fluid and out of the TC.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    What I try to do here is bring what I think are superior products to what we currently use. I know full well some are going to go with what they know and trust. I know most of us use synthetic oil in most of our vehicles, even those that don't require synthetic, why, because we know synthetic is superior to conventional oil. It only stands to reason that if a synthetic works better in the engine then it will work better in the tranny and in the gear boxes. I prefer to use what I think are superior performing lubricants and coolants, and I know they are better because of Oil Analysis (science) and not because someone told me it works better. Brian the owner of BND is not just some guy mixing chemicals in his backyard, he is a respected Physicist and a Chemist who left the industry because he wanted to make a better product than what was being offered by the current players. Oil analysis prove that I have less engine wear (Alu, Iron, and Brass) using Quantum Blue oils over any off the shelf oil. The analysis also shows that the Zinc and Phosphorus (wear protection) levels are 3 to 4 times higher in the virgin sample and in the samples after 10K miles. I will be replacing my tranny oil with the improved upon oil from BND, because I trust it. I just hope I'm not to late. I got 69,xxx miles on mine right now, and sometimes I feel a harsh thud when it kicks down from 5th gear at WOT. I will have about half a gallon left in the TC, so I will probably have to do another change somewhere around 25-30K miles, or should I do it sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Willie,

If your going to change to a different oil then do a complete flush. Run new fluid thru and pull the return oil cooler line and empty the old out as you pump in the new. Keep flushing till new fluid comes out the return drain. Just like bleeding brakes. This is the only way to properly flush out all of the old fluid and out of the TC.
    So would you say I needed to order an extra half gallon of fluid to ensure I have enough? It takes 2.4 gals to fill the system, so if I order 3 gals I should have enough to totally flush the system.

It's more then that, from dry Tozo put in just under 12l, so ~3 gallons.

See thats why we are here. I was told it takes 9L. That may be because your system was totally empty.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    See thats why we are here. I was told it takes 9L.
    Well, if you did a drain and filled it 9l sounds about right, as the TC holds about 3l of fluid.

But yeah, rs6.com is a great resource, I love it!

It takes 12.5L t o fill and empty transmission. The TC takes 4.5L. If you want to flush it through the cooler you will need another 5L to get the old fluid out and fill it properly.
    05 Cayenne turbo

17.5L = 4.6gals. Sorry redblooded American here.

This is BND's respnse to a question about there tranny oil and software management.

"That is only if you change the composition of the fluids. I made a copy of the fluid but changed some of the characteristics of the fluid that were shortcomings and added ultra high heat durability that will greatly resist the shearing that occurs due to high rpm, high heat, and internal friction. Reduce the friction between the gears and main shaft and you reduce the heat and increase the power transfer etc".

Well- This thread clears up the oil and fluid needs/requirements.

It seems the consensus for the best results is:

1) never change fluid or change routinely and often
    2) never change a high mileage or continue changing routinely and often
    3) use Audi OEM or don't use Audi OEM or use a "special brewed mix"
    4) Consume mind altering substances and don't worry about it

I think that about sums it up

You forgot one...

5. Always drive down the hwy with your brakes on.

You forgot one too,

6. Always launch by reving motor to 4k and droping into drive.

Well I am getting a replacement trans, and if it comes with fluid in it I will be replacing it.

Got around to changing the tranny fluid this weekend with BND's oil. Can highly recommend based on first impressions. Car shifts smother and no more "clunking" when cold. Is that the oil or just getting fresh oil into the tranny - hard to say. But so far seems to have helped. I also did the filter and was pleasantly surprised by the small amount of metal on the magnets and the low amount of sludge. Car is at 61k miles.