Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator replacement

Stupid question, but could someone please explain how to release tension from the serpantine belt from underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by audiprotn View Post
    Stupid question, but could someone please explain how to release tension from the serpantine belt from underneath.
    There is a spring loaded roller which can be pushed up, and that releases tension on the belt
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    There is a spring loaded roller which can be pushed up, and that releases tension on the belt
    Yes, I finally figured that out. But for some reason I still couldn't release it. Is there a special tool? I tried with the ratchet but that did not work for me.

You may not need an alternator --- maybe just the regulator. That was my issue, as with many others on the forum as well. Regulator cost only about $40 iirc. But you do have to drop the Alternator to swap out the regulator.

Ref the pulley, there is a place where you can put a socket wrench and use that as leverage to move the pulley up, releasing tension .. look for it

Found it : I bought my regulator for $36 from RMEuropean.com - Bosch # 0031546506
    Last edited by LIRS6; May 14th, 2014 at 23:22. Reason: regulator
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    You may not need an alternator --- maybe just the regulator. That was my issue, as with many others on the forum as well. Regulator cost only about $40 iirc. But you do have to drop the Alternator to swap out the regulator.

Ref the pulley, there is a place where you can put a socket wrench and use that as leverage to move the pulley up, releasing tension .. look for it

Found it : I bought my regulator for $36 from RMEuropean.com - Bosch # 0031546506
    Thanks, I read about it but decided to go with remanufactured Bosch for $150. Coming in this Friday.

Having a really hard time pushing it in, seems almost impossible, especially since the car is on ramps.
    Maybe someone could suggest anything?
    thanks

I know my mechanic raised it above just ramps with jack stands, don't know if that will let u get more leverage, but mine slipped right back in for him, so idk if that helps, all I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Styhl View Post
    I know my mechanic raised it above just ramps with jack stands, don't know if that will let u get more leverage, but mine slipped right back in for him, so idk if that helps, all I can think of.
    I can't slide in the top of it back inside ( where the Allen bolt goes in).
    Tried using rubber hammer but that did not really help.
    P.S. This is my first DIY this complicated haha

Sir I might be passing by your area tomorrow, I can take a look at it. Lol
    Last edited by Zmey; May 18th, 2014 at 05:24.
    6spd complete

I can't slide in the top of it back inside ( where the Allen bolt goes in).
    Tried using rubber hammer but that did not really help.
    P.S. This is my first DIY this complicated haha
    Patience is the key - i did mine on jack stands, so lying on my back and trying to work it in was no fun, but I eventually got it back in place.
    Good luck
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Try taking a metal file and chamfering the "ears" (where the bolt passes thru) on the alternater.... It's an extremely tight fit. Good luck!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Figured I'd bring this one back to the land of the living as a 'simple' voltage regulator replacement brought Einhorn back from the dead. The bosch part number listed at RMEuropean.com - Bosch # 0031546506 is the one.

Thanks to those who've gone before

Good to know this isn't as complicated as I was expecting. Thought it was another "Remove bumper/engine" job, lol. 82,000 miles on mine now and I expect it will come sooner or later. No idea how old my battery is; I should pop the cover off one day and check!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Concerning pn 0031546506​... Huco or Bosch brand? Does it really matter, as I understand it Huco is an OEM manufacturer as well... No one has the Bosch brand vr in my area but everybody has the Huco brand.

Anyone used the Huco brand before- thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RSoverAll View Post
    Concerning pn 0031546506​... Huco or Bosch brand? Does it really matter, as I understand it Huco is an OEM manufacturer as well... No one has the Bosch brand vr in my area but everybody has the Huco brand.

Anyone used the Huco brand before- thoughts?
    Finding the same thing. My euro wholesale supplers carry HUCO. Made in India, which puts me on edge. But the 'Bufkin' pipe is being replace and plant to spend a lot of time at high RPM's in two weeks.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Finding the same thing. My euro wholesale supplers carry HUCO. Made in India, which puts me on edge. But the 'Bufkin' pipe is being replace and plant to spend a lot of time at high RPM's in two weeks.
    I went ahead with the Huco brand. Have yet to install... Read some about them on the Volvo and Saab forums, seems to be a solid performer over there.

That Bufkin pipe is a very nice piece.

Then again, there is eBay if you want the Bosch unit....

Bosch unit on Amazon goes for $35 shipped (2 days to your door with Prime!)

For future reference, if someone is looking for a replacement alternator to swap-in when something goes wrong with theirs, I've got one on its way back to me fresh rebuild. Was new old stock and only in the car for ~2 hours before the regulator gave up the magic smoke. Yours for way less than Audi's $974 list price (of which they have 0 in stock in the US as of typing this up)

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)