Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator replacement

Alternator replacement

Hey guys, I had the thrilling experience of losing voltage the other day. While driving home the other night the instrument cluster got dim, the car started running like shit and every icon on the dash lit up with the volt gauge showing a little over 8. Barely got the car to the house. I plugged in to get codes, all low voltage codes. Out of her 86,xxx tour of duty this is the first time she almost left me stranded. Anyway, I went ahead and replaced the original battery and alternator and all is now well.

I'm not a big DIY'r, brakes/oil/plugs are about it. So I had a friend relpace the alternator and I "helped". It was a lot easier than I had expected and maybe these pics will be of use to another member. I have never tried to post a DIY, so bear with me.

Beginning with the removal of the belly pan. The alternator was able to be finessed out of its place by removing the serpentine belt from the pulley, removing the two oil lines originating from the oil filter location, and removing the intercooler hose. After that there are two hex bolts to the front (bumper side) of the alternator to be removed ( I believe they were 6mm) And there were two wires to be removed from the rear of the alternator, one a plug type connection the other was held on by a nut.

^^ The IC hose to remove and brackets to remove.

^ Here is one of the hex type bolts on the alternator the other is towards the top of the alternator (couldnt get a good pic of that one)

^ Here is the plug to remove and the other wire to remove is located above it (also hard to get a pic)

The last pic is of re-installing one of the oil lines, to get a better perspective.

Please, anyone feel free to correct or add comment.

Thanks, saved it just in case.
    St Augustine, FL
    03 RS6
    07 GTI
    88 16v Cabby

Nice,

Where did you get the reman alt?

$$

I got the parts from stealership....

Battery part# 000-915-105-DL-DSP
    List price $190.00

Generator part# 077-903-015-RX
    List price $675.00 - $200 for core.

Without much haggling I was able to get 20% off the list price. Ended up being $532.00 total for battery and generator.

The generator does not come with the pulley, so save the old one. And I had to add about a half liter of oil as a result of removing the oil lines.

Nice write-up!

but i'd start with disconnecting the battery next time, safety first!

Hey "got boost", did you have to pull the front bumper for this? I've got the battery light on and the voltage dipping to around 9V,(autozone checked their 18 month old battery and said it was fine.). Two shops I've talked to mentioned having to put the front end into "service position" for this, but it looks like you did it without pulling anything but the IC hose and the oil tubes. Also, did you check into the $184 Bosch alternator that's out there? I don't know what difference there is between that and the audi alternator, but IF it fits, I might go with that.

check with genuinevwaudiparts.com

they have the best Audi parts prices. You will need the Audi pn and you just plug in the number for a price. The auto lookup does not have RS6

Quote Originally Posted by MJR964 View Post
    Hey "got boost", did you have to pull the front bumper for this? I've got the battery light on and the voltage dipping to around 9V,(autozone checked their 18 month old battery and said it was fine.). Two shops I've talked to mentioned having to put the front end into "service position" for this, but it looks like you did it without pulling anything but the IC hose and the oil tubes. Also, did you check into the $184 Bosch alternator that's out there? I don't know what difference there is between that and the audi alternator, but IF it fits, I might go with that.

Appreciate the Info got boost. Did the same thing on the A6 2.7t and had to put the front into service position. Nice to know that this can be done on the RS without bumper removal. Such info is invaluable. Thanks....

Correct, the front bumper does not need to move.

Having it on a lift helps.

I am returning this thread from the dead with hopes that someone could help me.

I am following Got Boost's instructions, but I am stuck when it comes to the removal of the oil lines on the filter side. I cannot get enough room to get in there.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance guys

I managed to remove all of the bolts as well as the oil lines.

The only problem now is how to finess the alternator out?
    I've going at it for the past hour and if anybody knows how to do it, please share.

Thanks much
    03 Audi RS6 MTM
    83 MB 300SD
    07 MB C230 - GONE, 02 Acura TL-S Supercharged - GONE

So I just spend the better part of an afternoon tearing the alternator out of my car. Last night I went out to do a couple logs for fun, and I noticed the battery light came on. Wasn't real surprised as I've been noticing random voltage reading for the last couple months.

Anyway, I am going to try to have it rebuilt and see how well it does. There is a good auto-electrical shop in another city near me. I'm afraid they may not have the voltage regulator on hand and I am looking for help from the Forum to find one.

Mark, I know your a guru on find parts, maybe you already know.

It's a Bosch. Numbers on it show:

BR14-MO
    F 00M 145 247
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Audi part # for the Alternator is 077903015R add a 'X' after the 'R' to find rebuilt which may be all that is available. The voltage regulator is 077903803A I haven't found anyone to have a cheaper price on the Regulator than Genuine, I thought that using the Bosch Part # I would be able to find it cheaper but the only cheaper ones I found were aftermarket replacements, not Bosch. Another thing, someone mentioned rebuilding the Regulator to fix bad Diodes, the Diodes are not in the Regulator but are in the other plastic housing bolted onto the back of the Alternator.
    Last edited by hahnmgh63; September 11th, 2011 at 00:08.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Wish I'd known about this a few years ago with my s4! Man, I love this place but seriously, I'll take 122 over 682 or 443 any day.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I knew you'd pull through for me Mark! Thanks!

The Diodes on mine look ok. Slightly crusty, but not bad for over 95k miles. I gave the alternator a greased lightning bath and rinse. Man did those windings brighten up!
    Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Audi part # for the Alternator is 077903015R add a 'X' after the 'R' to find rebuilt which may be all that is available. The voltage regulator is 077903803A I haven't found anyone to have a cheaper price on the Regulator than Genuine, I thought that using the Bosch Part # I would be able to find it cheaper but the only cheaper ones I found were aftermarket replacements, not Bosch. Another thing, someone mentioned rebuilding the Regulator to fix bad Diodes, the Diodes are not in the Regulator but are in the other plastic housing bolted onto the back of the Alternator.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

unfortunate news from Bill at Genuine is that they don't have the regulators in stock and think it may take over a MONTH! Trying to pursue different options now. Various online auto parts stores don't have them listed.

OK update. After calling about 5 places and trying various online suppliers, I called the local auto electrical shop in my area with the Bosch part # (as I tried with the other's) and they will have it by tuesday for 100 bucks. They said it is a genuine bosch but won't have the VW logo on - then he chuckeled a little. I am skeptical of fitment and will know on tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    unfortunate news from Bill at Genuine is that they don't have the regulators in stock and think it may take over a MONTH! Trying to pursue different options now. Various online auto parts stores don't have them listed.