Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator replacement

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Finding the same thing. My euro wholesale supplers carry HUCO. Made in India, which puts me on edge. But the 'Bufkin' pipe is being replace and plant to spend a lot of time at high RPM's in two weeks.
    Go with the Bosch one, it lasted this long and HUCO is a definatley an eco option brand
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Anyone have a part number and reliable source on the Bosch unit? We're talking alternator or voltage regulator at this point?

Other_Erik I sent you a PM regarding the one you have. My car sat for three months and lo and behold, voltage drop on the first test drive after all the suspension work.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Mine turned out not to be the voltage regulator. It will need a complete alternator replacement. If anyone has a line on an inexpensive one please let me know; the control arms, shocks, steering rack, and wheel refinishing have broken the bank enough as it is :-(

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    Go with the Bosch one, it lasted this long and HUCO is a definatley an eco option brand
    Agreed. Have a new HUCO and while the company is German, making parts in India is not inspiring.

Being on a first name basis with my Audi dealer parts guy (tested him today, by just saying my first name for fun), and also in need/want of a quality Vreg, had him price it out with the other bits (including cam bearing cap bolts). And waiting in some heavily fortified German Warehouse, waiting for one of us to pull the trigger. Careful of that aim, eh.

Something like $275 for actual OEM part. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

After perusing the vast array of VW/Audi alternators, pulled the trigger and had one sent over today. Overtly obvious of the different Vreg setup but the chassis form factor seems the same (need to take measurements), including verifying if the Vreg fitment (swapping them). If it works will have a reasonably priced 150amp OE fit RS6 power source.

If not, some wiring adaptations could still lead to a plug and play setup. There's hope, it's just time and money.

Being that my Alt is OEM with 100K miles, the VR is cracked, the front end is off for major service, this is the time.

Well one of these days I'll get my forward replacement back. In the meantime, Kaestner Auto in Waukesha, WI has done well by me - sent them my old alternator when I thought my new one was working - refurb ran me $220 plus s/h. Then after I drove away from the UPS store my new alt's VR let out the magic smoke, so I had another $600 bill to swap the refurb'ed old one back in, and another $150 later (voltage regulator and burnt contacts), the new alternator with 2 hours of use will be sent back to me. I said back in PM that I'd be willing to let this one go for $500 even though I've got ~$850 into it including purchase. If you do want to buy it, I'll take your core for $150 expecting another $250-300 or so in refurb repair to keep a spare on my shelf.

Thanks
    O_E

--Edit - Not to mention the weeks of frustration trying to order a new old stock, waiting to hear back from companies that sold me a part they didn't have, no Beast while the alternator was non-functional... Not trying to run up a profit. - /Edit--
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

So, $350 plus shipping damages and my old alt? I'll definitely keep that in mind. My tech is trying with his sources but to no avail so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    So, $350 plus shipping damages and my old alt? I'll definitely keep that in mind. My tech is trying with his sources but to no avail so far.
    Your tech is going through the same headache as me and my tech went through last month - zero alternators in stock, roll the dice on a used unit from ebay, or be put on the 6-week waiting list to get one from Germany (list price is/was $974). I am still waiting on my 2nd refurb (new old stock 2hour unit) to get back to me, will PM you again if/when it shows up. I know the heartache of not having the Beast for extended periods of time :|

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Well luckily I don't *need* mine again til the snow starts falling, but at the same time it's sitting on my tech's lift after he just did all that work to it

What about this one: http://www.amazon.com/ALTERNATOR-200.../dp/B009VKK3TS

Is 077-903-015R right or no?

What about this one: http://www.amazon.com/ALTERNATOR-200.../dp/B009VKK3TS

Is 077-903-015R right or no?
    That's the correct alternator, and is exactly the one I ordered that only lasted an hour before it died - check out the one review, that's from me.

O_E

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    That's the correct alternator, and is exactly the one I ordered that only lasted an hour before it died - check out the one review, that's from me.

O_E
    Ha! I had a feeling that was you, LOL. They do have a lot of positive reviews on NewEgg.com, however. Wonder if you just got a dud?

Ha! I had a feeling that was you, LOL. They do have a lot of positive reviews on NewEgg.com, however. Wonder if you just got a dud?
    Entirely possible I got a dud, but the distributor should've honored a reasonable warranty and at least offered to help with the extra $600 I had to shell out to have their bad alternator removed and my refurb'ed alternator re-installed. I contacted them and they offered to send me another replacement alternator _after_ I shipped the lemon back to them :|

I second the none in stock anywhere comment. I had a couple sold to me that didn't exist only to have sneaky credit issued back to AMEX while waiting patiently. Take it out have it rebuilt.

My local rebuilder can source Bosch VR's at reasonable prices. Since I had the HUCO already, put that in. The OE unit was cracked.

Rebuilder said it's better not to break the case halves apart. Too many bearing issues, unless it absolutely needs them. Mine were tip top thankfully.

Would a new reman Bosch 120amp at far less cost be of interest? I was kicking this around for myself.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    My local rebuilder can source Bosch VR's at reasonable prices. Since I had the HUCO already, put that in. The OE unit was cracked.

Rebuilder said it's better not to break the case halves apart. Too many bearing issues, unless it absolutely needs them. Mine were tip top thankfully.

Would a new reman Bosch 120amp at far less cost be of interest? I was kicking this around for myself.
    Agree on the case halves comment, but when you've got bearings that have taken a beating and brushes that need replacing, no choice there. I had my OE unit rebuilt damn near from scratch, and it set me back a little bit of pocket change (to the tune of ~$325 all in). That said, I wouldn't be looking at a 120A unit unless you've stripped some electronics out - stock unit is 150A, and there are plenty of things that suck up the juice. Cooling fans on full pull ~40A, HVAC can pull nearly the same between compressor and fans, stock radio pulls maybe 12A at full blast... oh, and of course you need to feed fuel pump and spark

According to the rebuilder, I should get my 2-hours-used unit back today sometime, assuming the post office doesn't forward my mail to god-only-knows-where like they have been the past 2 weeks :|

O_E

My tech can get a reman from Audi in the $500 range; thinking I should just go that way and be done with it... *grumble* I know it's not a Toyota Camry but still, no reason whatsoever why it should cost so much more!

My tech can get a reman from Audi in the $500 range; thinking I should just go that way and be done with it... *grumble* I know it's not a Toyota Camry but still, no reason whatsoever why it should cost so much more!
    Pull the trigger and get your old one rebuilt, then you have a spare sitting on the shelf.

Mine was rebuilt and then delivered to my old address (I moved last month) even though I noted to the rebuilder that my address had changed no less than 4 different ways. :| Going to swing by the old place on the way home today (30 minutes in the wrong direction) and hopefully it's still sitting on the porch there.

O_E

Quote Originally Posted by audiprotn View Post
    Got mine for $180
    Sent back my old one (core).
    Would recommend this company