Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator replacement

Crap I wish I saw this earlier. I bought a Bosch alternator from autopartwarehouse and it did not fit. Not only that but they wouldn't take it back even though their site sells it as an exact OEM replacement. Now the question is did the shop I took the car to try to scam me or the the part supplier. My hunch is the part supplier.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

I saw that one on their website. Then I saw the picture of the 90' offset pulley. I thought first that it was one of those generic photos, but it didn't say so and made you assume that was the actual unit.

Regardless, I would bitch hard on that one Chung. It clearly states that part is the replacement for the RS6, and of course it is not.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I went at it for over a week with them back and forth. They have outsourced all of their support and stuck to their policy of 30 day returns (I waited to install the alternator until everything was appart). Needless to say I won't buy from them again. And not just typing this I wonder if I can dispute this with my cc company. Probably too late but I am going to try.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

alright guys, got the replacement regulator installed at auto electric company mentioned previously. $113 with shipping. They tested the alternator and it puts out a nice full charge. He commented that the bearings and brushes look great and will likely go another 95k miles or more.

Think twice before buying a whole new alternator if you need one. Chances are its just the voltage regulator. I'll be trying to install this weekend.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Also, for any enthusiast doing this, it is well worth to DIY. I took mine out following the instructions here and ended up using a local alternator place, the bill came to be less than $200.
    Last edited by svir; September 21st, 2011 at 18:22.
    03 Audi RS6 MTM
    83 MB 300SD
    07 MB C230 - GONE, 02 Acura TL-S Supercharged - GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Crap I wish I saw this earlier. I bought a Bosch alternator from autopartwarehouse and it did not fit. Not only that but they wouldn't take it back even though their site sells it as an exact OEM replacement. Now the question is did the shop I took the car to try to scam me or the the part supplier. My hunch is the part supplier.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain
    Shows on another seller's webpage as the correct replacement alternator for RS6 - and this pic looks identical to my OEM http://www.carid.com/2003-audi-a6-ch...r-9411287.html
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

for reference the uppper hexbolt is an 8 and the lower is a 13 thanks for the right up Boost my mechanic is following your guide saved me the money for "service position"

Battery light came up, voltage was around 12. Happened on the hwy, managed to get back, that was about 15 miles, car felt just fine.
    Gonna attempt this DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by audiprotn View Post
    Battery light came up, voltage was around 12. Happened on the hwy, managed to get back, that was about 15 miles, car felt just fine.
    Gonna attempt this DIY.
    I watch my mechanic do this job only struggle he had was there is a tensioning device for after the hexbolts are released to keep the alternator in place, it took a good bit of leverage to actually free from mine, give yourself room to work under the car, good luck. Also duralast via Autozone has a lifetime warranty for 185+80 core if you're in the states

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    Shows on another seller's webpage as the correct replacement alternator for RS6 - and this pic looks identical to my OEM http://www.carid.com/2003-audi-a6-ch...r-9411287.html
    Could anyone please confirm if this is one is good to go?
    Or should I just get voltage regulator and rebuild it at a local shop?

It looks right, but my ship weight was 17lbs, why is there's 15.

Maybe difference in packaging?
    how much time did it take your mechanic to switch them?

Billed me 2 hours, maybe took a bit longer, was there 3 but it was Saturday and he had people come thru ya have to stop and chat with.

That's nice!

now, anyone could help with removing those oil lines?
    How do you get in there

Quote Originally Posted by audiprotn View Post
    That's nice!

now, anyone could help with removing those oil lines?
    How do you get in there
    I think my mechanic used a crescent from underneath, you have to take the intercooler tube off first, expect a bit of oil have a drip pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Styhl View Post
    I think my mechanic used a crescent from underneath, you have to take the intercooler tube off first, expect a bit of oil have a drip pan.
    Yeah, intercooler pipe was easy to take off. Drained all the oil prior to that as well.
    Now I still don't see the space how to take those likes off.

I thought it was the 2 big aluminum looking nuts, I was doing stuff in the trunk while he did that part but he put em back on with a crescent wrench

Ok, got it. Actually was easy. Now on to removing alternator