Thread: Operating Temperature

Operating Temperature

So I have been noticing that the smaller cooling fan is coming on much more often and the oil temperature is now between the mid point and 250F when prior it was between 150F and the midpoint. I did a search here and it seems like my thermostat may be going. So I took it into the dealer and they said it all checks out fine. So the questions are

1. Where does your car run normal driving oil temperature ?

2. What should I be looking at with Vag Com or whatever to diagnose further ?

3. Should I just drive it until it "fails"?

Mine runs at 88°C oil and 90-92 water when driving it normally (i.e., not quickly ).

You need to log the water temperature in the ECU measuring blocks, and I believe the oil temperature is only available in the instrument cluster measuring blocks. This in itself is a bit weird. Does the ECU not use oil temp?

Are you running low on oil?

Oil level is full

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post
    So I have been noticing that the smaller cooling fan is coming on much more often and the oil temperature is now between the mid point and 250F when prior it was between 150F and the midpoint. I did a search here and it seems like my thermostat may be going. So I took it into the dealer and they said it all checks out fine. So the questions are

Mine is at around 85C (185F) oil in normal use. When my thermostat failed, the oil temp moved up to over 200F, and whats more the oil temperature became more susceptible to engine load (ie driving uphill made the oil temp rise noticeably, whereas in normal use it is usually rock steady).

Interestingly the water temp stayed stable at 90C (195F) for a week or two after oil temp started to move around (while I was waiting for a service slot at the workshop), but then (I guess as the thermostat failed completely) the water temp started to oscillate more dramatically and I took the car in immediately.

I would get a second opinion if the shop can't find anything wrong. The bottom line is that something has changed in your oil temp, ergo, something ain't right!

The water temperature is pinned at 90°. It has to vary significantly from 90 for the dash needle to change. I might have to get a DashDAQ at some point..

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post

1. just below the mid-point
    2. dunno
    3. not in my opinion; I was driving mine as the oil temp was fine and the water temp showed only slight increases, but then would move back to normal position. However on the day that I had scheduled to bring the car to the dealer, the water temp shot up dramatically and I was very concerned that I might damage the engine. I limped into the dealer with the water temp just below "H". It was the thermostat, and all was well after it was replaced. Note: if you are anywhere near 75k, consider having the 75k service done (timing belt replaced etc) at the same time as the thermostat, if that is indeed the issue.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa