Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf R

Volkswagen Golf R

This latest Golf is good news. 270 bhp and 0-100 kph in 5.5 seconds for the DSG equipped version. The AWD system is apparently hydraulic. i am not quite sure what this means but the promise of more usable performance should make it worth having. The styling tweaks are great. Love the LED lights front and rear. Altogether much more subtle and refined than the GTI, which is not to take anything away from the GTI.

i ordered a GTI for September delivery and now this comes along...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Volkswagen-Golf-11999112503921600x1060.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	8556  

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    This latest Golf is good news. 270 bhp and 0-100 kph in 5.5 seconds for the DSG equipped version. The AWD system is apparently hydraulic. i am not quite sure what this means but the promise of more usable performance should make it worth having. The styling tweaks are great. Love the LED lights front and rear. Altogether much more subtle and refined than the GTI, which is not to take anything away from the GTI.

i ordered a GTI for September delivery and now this comes along...
    is it the latest haldex version?hydraulic...what was before?electronic maybe?

I don't know the answer, because no one has yet road tested it. Most of the existing reports are based only on VW's Press Release at the IAA. It should all become clear within a couple of weeks.

For me, the Golf R is more practical than the TT-S (as well as much more conservative, which I like). It is also better looking than the S3 IMHO.

It's using the latest Haldex system that's used in the TT/S and probably the TT/RS though I can't say that for sure.

Should be a great alternative to the S3 and 130i, though it's price a bit on the high side.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I don't know the answer, because no one has yet road tested it. Most of the existing reports are based only on VW's Press Release at the IAA. It should all become clear within a couple of weeks.

For me, the Golf R is more practical than the TT-S (as well as much more conservative, which I like). It is also better looking than the S3 IMHO.
    I agree. Curious to see the technical depth about awd system...

On the web I found that...

The new Golf R utilizes a newer version of the Haldex all-wheel-drive system that does not require slip to engage AWD. Rather the new system is pre-primed and looks at throttle position and torque being delivered to determine how much clutch-pack locking to initiate. What this means is if the car is floored from a standing start, the electronics automatically assume that maximum torque is required and pre-engages the AWD system to maximize grip for the launch. When the car is normally driving down the highway in a situation where AWD isn't necessary, the system disengages the AWD clutch pack to reduce frictional losses and improve economy. Overall the new system is far more responsive and progressive in its behavior.

Looks very good and sounds promising. Should be one great driving machine!

Quote Originally Posted by andreadebi View Post

The new Golf R utilizes a newer version of the Haldex all-wheel-drive system that does not require slip to engage AWD. Rather the new system is pre-primed and looks at throttle position and torque being delivered to determine how much clutch-pack locking to initiate. What this means is if the car is floored from a standing start, the electronics automatically assume that maximum torque is required and pre-engages the AWD system to maximize grip for the launch. When the car is normally driving down the highway in a situation where AWD isn't necessary, the system disengages the AWD clutch pack to reduce frictional losses and improve economy. Overall the new system is far more responsive and progressive in its behavior.
    Grazie mille per tua 'insight'.

I love this car. it really has something.

Grazie mille per tua 'insight'.

I love this car. it really has something.
    yes I agree

Quote Originally Posted by andreadebi View Post

Just as I thought, it's the same as the TT/RS. Should make it a better car than the old R32 and even more enjoyable to drive than the Mk6 GTI.

and you can add also HPP Haldex with 3 settings

I remember reading somewhere that no VAG product has used anything other than 2 Gen Haldex, now that statement was obivously made prior to either the TT/RS or the Golf R, so is it right to still assume no Haldex-XWD.

Or is that assumption wrong?

€ 36.400 in germany

http://www.eurocarblog.com/post/2363...ricing-details

full optional € 47.000....

Andrea, are you thinking of getting a Golf R?

@Tailpipe, did you get my mail?

I think I'd rather have an S3 Sportsback than the Golf

Last time I looked the Golf was much more expensive than an A3 SB with smae level of options.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Andrea, are you thinking of getting a Golf R?
    I like it very much but not thinking of getting one...and in 2 years new golf VII...

is the Golf R the same thing the Golf R36 ?