Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another V10 Thread - drove one today

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post
    I don't think anybody disagrees with you. In fact, I agree with you entirely. The R8 is an outstanding car, one of a handful of the great cars on the planet.

You put it well, it's greater than the sum of its parts. Much better car than the TT. When running canyons, the R8 is dangerously close to my F430.

I can only imagine how good it will be with another 100 hp. But if the V10 did not exist, I would keep my R8 for a long time. As it is, it has stayed while a GT3 and GT3 RS both left my garage. It is a phenomonal car.
    i just found it interesting you noted on the original post i referred to you- that the R8 was "slow".

in my personal experience AND in the experience of a very experienced and good friend i have over in north california- who has tracked his V8 with F430's and CLK 63 blacks- that the R8 can stay with and pass F430's. the V8 could very well be said is a better machine than the F430, in fact. it is less powerful, but just as fast or faster on a track in the hands of most average drivers.

i do get pangs of desire for the V10. and i could get one. but i prefer to sit and watch my money and wait for obama to stop destroying our country before i spend more money- but i degress :blush:
    Last edited by RXBG; August 21st, 2009 at 14:47.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i do get pangs of desire for the V10. and i could get one. but i prefer to sit and watch my money and wait for obama to stop destoying our country before i spend more money- but i degress :blush:
    Amen!!!
    Right there with you RXBG.
    An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!

the V8 could very well be said is a better machine than the F430:
    Um, no. Just no. Now you're being silly.
    2008 Ferrari F430 Spider F1

Um, no. Just no. Now you're being silly.
    at least 50% more accessible track performance for the average joe, with less hp and torque yielding almost neck-neck performance, real daily driver usability, 4 year warranty/maintenance at $ 750 at almost half the price?

oh. no. YOU are being silly.

silly guy.

---unless of course you are a SCCA instructor- in which case you could negate the accessibility issue.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

at least 50% more accessible track performance for the average joe, with less hp and torque yielding almost neck-neck performance, real daily driver usability, 4 year warranty/maintenance at $ 750 at almost half the price?

oh. no. YOU are being silly.

silly guy.

---unless of course you are a SCCA instructor- in which case you could negate the accessibility issue.
    You're right, I'm sure most people would take a V8 R8 over a F430 for even money.

I was just offered $85K on my trade for the V10. Just imagine how good the V8 R8 is at that price! It just might be better than an Enzo!

Get a grip man, it's a nice entry level high end car with good performance and value. It's not the end of the world, nor is it a true exotic.

Keep saving your money and blaming Obama for having to drive your V8. Don't be ashamed, it's a nice daily driver.
    Last edited by Bluehinder; August 21st, 2009 at 20:41.

bluehinder- too many generalizations in your post- esp. the R8 value- you've lost track of the discussion. used car values are not the point of the discussion (FYI- i've been offered 100K for my car on trade in on a V10 they are willing to discount off MSRP- imagine a 140K car- V10 vs F430 on a track? LOL). taken further- the depreciation on an F430 coupe is huge compared to my R8's- F430 roadster is a different issue re: depreciation).

and no- i don't pretend to insist that the R8 is God. then again- neither is Obama. though in states like CO where the air is thin it may be easier to believe that. (just kidding guy)

-back on track. my conclusion is that one guy's 5 mile V10 R8 drive created quite a stir.

...and don't let your dealer rape you on your car's trade-in.--- if i were you i'd be trading both the R8 and the F430 on an Italia- THAT car is going to be God!
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

RXBG,

One thing you need to learn about Ferrari is that owners buy the cars without regard for issues of depreciation. We buy them to enjoy driving them, and then buy the next one. Ferrari owners do not obcess about resale value and depreciation like Audi owners. For most Ferrari owners, they are fourth or fifth cars. Mine will be traded next year on the 458, and I could hardly care what my trade value is, I just want the car.

I'm fine with my R8 trade to my dealer. He always has me number one on any list, the V10 and the upcoming RS, and has for a decade.

Oh yeah, the original poster took a five mile drive in heavy traffic, with a motor not broken in, tires and brakes not broken in, and concluded the V8 was the better car.

I don't know what KoolAid you guys are drinking.

Blue- they are all just opinions. that makes for great discussion. i agree that too many people get cars thinking about depreciation (or conversely speculation). but in my experience they are spread out across all types of cars types.

i am pretty well connected at Champion Motors and The Collection in Miami- two of the premier dealers in the country. MOST P-car and F-car buyers are speculators- hedging purchases purely on depreciation potential and demand. and their trade-in agreements- signed at initial purchase- limit them to predetermined mileage on their cars. it is one of the ways the rich stay rich.

but- all in all. nice discusssion. cheers.

Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

RXBG.

I agree with your second paragraph. That is how the game works. Stay in the loop or you get excomunicated.

Enjoy your car, good conversation.

Best,

Blue

Oh yeah, the original poster took a five mile drive in heavy traffic, with a motor not broken in, tires and brakes not broken in, and concluded the V8 was the better car.

I don't know what KoolAid you guys are drinking.
    Ah, but you are incorrect.

I never said the V8 was better - my test drive ended up becoming a focus on an alien way to change the gears. Trying to compare 30K of seat time in an MT6 to a few minutes in an auto is not fair to either ride.

I said that I would like to get more time in an R-tronic setup and that, with the very limited seat time that I got in the car, that I probably did not get a chance to give the auto a chance.

I did say that I didn't care for a few aspects of the V10:
    I find the wheels to be atrocious looking, I don't care for the chrome (I have removed all chrome except the Quattro badge from the grill of mine) and I think the flared Sigma blades look like someone in the styling department didn't take any time and develop a better flow "look". I also dislike the performance of the P-Zeros, as I'm pretty much a PS2 lover and user. Other than the tires, my dislikes of the V10 are not performance oriented by any means.

I would love to have a V10 sitting behind my seats - and with my exceptionally limited time in the car, right now I would prefer a manual tranny attached to the power plant.
    An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!