Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another V10 Thread - drove one today

Another V10 Thread - drove one today

Took my R8 into the shop today (The Audi Connection in Montgomery, OH) - was scheduled for regular maintenance and was to be taken in tomorrow, but required a sudden repair today. Fortunately I was only couple miles away when the issue arose. I will start a new thread on this after I write this post.

Anyhow, they had a V10 in the showroom. R-tronic, black on black w/carbon everywhere. 18.4 miles on the odometer.

Okay, flame away at me for having an opinion - I can handle it.

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the car as much as I should be. I was really expecting a lot more. - mind you, the comments below are just my opinion, so don't take them personally - we're all here to share, right? So I'm sharing!

Exterior:
    I've never been a fan of black on black. Been there, done that and I don't ever want a black vehicle again - just don't care for the R8 in black either. Thus far the only three (maybe four) colors I'd consider are the Daytona Gray that mine's in or Silver or White w/Oxygen blades. I'd really like to see one of the blue ones in person. Something tells me that pix of the blue w/carbon trim don't do the car justice.

The Silver V8 w/Oxygen blades sitting on the other side of the showroom looks MUCH better to me.

I really like the Alcantera headliner. Wish I had that in mine.

The wheels are UGLY. Man, they hurt to look at! The OEM V8 rims are simple, elegant and I like them. I like my Dymags even more. Why Audi chose to put these testosterone laden goat horned spoke looking things on the car is beyond me.

The Sigma blades with the wider opening don't flow with the car like the V8's blades do. It has an "add on" look to it that almost looks like the designers just couldn't figure out how to make it functional and still keep the sleek styling of the V8. They just stick out w/o any style flow.

I have had this feeling about the blades as I've looked at the pix of the V10's that have been posted. To see it in person really solidified my feelings about it.

Chrome - have never been a fan, ever... The only chrome left on my R8 is the Quattro badge on the front grill.

I do like the intake and exhaust grills - they're not quite as busy as they are on the V8. I forgot to check and see what the headlights and running lights looked like.

Drive Train:
    Ah, the R-tronic transmission. Okay, what the ???? Why would you do that to one of these wonderful machines??? It should only be offered in a 6 speed stick.

I am under the impression that the car "learns" the driving habits of it's owner, so right now this V10 is lax in what it's supposed to do - the system's still in learn mode, not "I know what you want to do" mode. It would be very interesting to drive it after someone else has driven it (aggressively - I don't baby mine) for a while. I'd really like to see how much different it would be.

I drove the car just a tick over 5 miles. All in fairly heavy traffic except for one .5 mile jaunt to about 115 (and it gets there very quickly!)

Easy driving in traffic and it drives and feels like my V8 does. No surprise there. They're pretty much the same platform.

But the shifting of the transmission??? Easy driving and the transmission sort of hesitates between shifts - not a smooth shift, just this funky little hesitation - almost like the engine's having a small fuel starving issue.

It was extremely disconcerting. Gave me this "What did I just do wrong?" feeling.

A little more aggressive on the fun pedal and the shifting got even weirder. As it goes between gears, it feels like the car's actually braking - like a jab at the brake pedal. If I were to compare it to a motocross bike, it feels like the compression braking when I let off the throttle of the bike. Front end dips a tad, you jerk forward in the seat a hair it grabs the next gear and is fine until the next shift.

We had a chance, off a green light that I happened to roll up on w/o anybody in the lane, to stick the fun pedal to the floor. The car takes a deep breath and around 4,500 it suddenly lets out this just amazing howl. The V8 has more of a bellow to it's exhaust note down low, but man oh man, that V10 with the throttle body butterflies wide open and spinning 8K is pure music!

It feels like my V8 has more low end, right off the line (this may be a result of me having a 6 speed stick and this V10 being auto - can't say for sure) and I was actually very disappointed at the low end performance of the V10 - I expected it to push me back in the seat a lot harder, sooner than it did. It puts you back in the seat - don't get me wrong, it just wasn't the tractor that I was expecting. And I have to state, I believe a lot of this to be the difference between the stick and the R-tronic setup. I've not driven anything but the stick so this was a completely different beast.

It feels like my RS6 is much more brutal in power delivery than either the V8 or the V10 R8. It gives you this wonderful feeling of "OH YEA!" as you get sucked into the seats.

The R8's are just so much more sophisticated in delivery that the whoosh factor is a tad lost. (and they are much easier to drive! Twin Turbo lag, followed by Twin Turbo boost can be a handfull - especially in a 4 door sedan)

I found it interesting that instead of shifting just as the engine hit redline, the transmission waited to shift until the engine hit the rev limiter. (is this something that goes away with the push of the sport button?)

Odd. You have this insane drive going, the engine howling it's beautiful song and then for just part of a second, maybe .1 or .2, it goes flat and burbles as it bounces off the limiter before it grabs the next gear (very quickly!) and puts you back in the seat again.

I know that I can keep a much better (feeling) drive with my stick as long as I don't bounce off the limiter, but shift just as it hits redline.

Even though it may sound like I'm crabbing about the power delivery, I'm not - it's amazing. It just wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I believe I was expecting a lot more...

Tires - Someone tell me why Audi puts those nasty bricks of rubber Pirelli's on the R8? Really???

After a very quick jaunt to 115 and then a little ride on the brake pedal, we went into a nice, smooth 270 degree clover leaf (and my salesman - same one that sold me my RS6 six years ago, thank you Mike! - sort of stiffened up and grabbed the door handle) decently hot.

quick side note - first off the car was not mine, second, it had bricks, uh, Pirellis and third, they were brand new, oily Pirellis.

As we entered the corner the car settled in and then became a tad skittish - damn tires suck. It never felt even remotely out of control, just skittish. PS2's would solve this problem completely. Hell, the worn out set presently on my R8 would spank those stupid Pirellis all over the tarmac. Mike looked over at me as we exited the ramp and said "Wow - that was amazing!" - I plan on taking him back through that corner when I pick up mine. He needs to see what one can really do. It was, maybe, an 80 to 85% run through the corner.

Now, I'd like to add a couple things to this:
    First, as stated above, this was not my car, so I was being very, very nice to it.

Second - I've never been in the auto version. It's alien to me after putting 30K down with a stick. After some seat time, my feelings about the system may/could change.

Third - I never changed any settings on the car other than to hit the magnetic ride control as we entered the clover leaf, so there's a very good chance that a lot of what I was "missing" was just a push of the sport button away. Can't say. Never pushed it - heck, never seen one until this afternoon.

Overall I'm very glad I got to drive the V10 - and when my V8's worn completely out I'll look into one. - but there's no way it will have the R-tronic in it.

I was impressed with the power plant, but the transmission got in the way (for me). I expected more grunt out of it, but all that is put behind as soon as the V10 is given a chance to breath.

Rock on, Audi! Rock on!
    An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!

i was waiting for such a post. too bad you couldn't drive a manual to get a true comparison.

i disagree with the pirelli issue. i love mine. and i've had experience with PS2s on both my S4 and TT... the PS2's are more grippy in the dry but they let go later and rather quickly, disconcertingly quickly imo. and for a car like the R8 i prefer the progressiveness of the pirellis. on my S4 i preferred the PS2's.

i agree on the black- i don't know why dealers order so many black on black cars with the r-tronic. even the latest lease programs reflect a lower residual on the R-tronics vs the manuals. black itself is a nightmare to take care of and one bad wash and dry or wax job will leave permanent marks on the car for its entire life. further, black hides the lines of the R8.

it seems overall, though, that the extra power may not be worth the 50K check one has to write to get it. i may look into one- a basic model once dealers come down their high horses and want to deal for the cars.

good post.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I think the R8 V10 wheels are one of the best Audi wheels design wise IMHO.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    I think the R8 V10 wheels are one of the best Audi wheels design wise IMHO.
    Thank you for the nice reply of your opinion. Too often we (internet users) tend to "attack" someone else's opinion if it doesn't jive with our own.

I completely respect your opinion and the right to have an opinion - even if it's completely wrong!

I need to get a pic of the "Goat Head" guitars that BC Rich Guitars is now producing - it's sort of a modified Flying V - and it really reminds me of the spokes in the wheel.

I wish I could find a picture of the guitar, as it would make you step back and say "WOW, that's the goat head guitar in those rims!" LOL. - been to BC Rich's site for a pic, but it's not a released guitar yet. The guy who works in my building makes all the BCR custom guitars so I get to see some really cool shit.
    An R8 and an RS6 in one garage: It doesn't get much better!

you should get just a little more used to the r-tronic........i have now my second R8 with the r tronic and i massively improved compared to the V8 ...........i will not miss it anymore
    saluto da mike the Nougatilicious marker

switzerland - a land flowing with milk and honey

Driving a car for 5 miles in heavy traffic, motor not broken in, tires and brakes not broken in, I'm not sure how you can have any opinion.
    2008 Ferrari F430 Spider F1

Drove R8 V10 10 days ago on 300km drive(Adriatic coast) against my V8. Huge difference... Much more torque on V10, specially at low revs. V10 mechanically much smoother and revs much better... V10 much, much faster...
    Drive dynamics? Little bit stiffer suspension on V10(Magnetic Ride)...

Conclusion-V10 IMHO better sportscar overall.

I also testdrove both the V8 and V10 and they're not even in the same league. V8 is slow while the V10 is supercar fast (low and high revs).

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    I also testdrove both the V8 and V10 and they're not even in the same league. V8 is slow while the V10 is supercar fast (low and high revs).
    V8 is not slow. it is an extremely quick car. by the standards of the V10 or other more expensive exotica the car seems slow but 0-60 in 3.9 (R&T) is not slow. and the fact that it is almost as fast in many respects as a 2004 gallardo.

so lets keep perspective here.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    V8 is not slow.
    Compared to his Ruf it is That's Rami's perspective :cool2:
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

The V8 is underpowered. It didn't take the V10 to expose that.

I don't care what R&T says, it's no sub 4.0 second car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post

You're absolutely correct. You can add at least .5 seconds to that time. I've compared it to 997 C2S and it got destroyed, plain and simple.

Now I'm not bashing the R8 V8 here, don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE that car ... but it's just too slow
    Luckily they got it right with the V10 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Compared to his Ruf it is That's Rami's perspective :cool2:
    Hehe, I don't compare anything to that beast

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post

interesting that you would say that. how do your R8 and F430 compare on a track?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

You're absolutely correct. You can add at least .5 seconds to that time. I've compared it to 997 C2S and it got destroyed, plain and simple.

Now I'm not bashing the R8 V8 here, don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE that car ... but it's just too slow
    Luckily they got it right with the V10 version.
    well, if instrumented testing has provided such numbers then it is obviously capable of such performance. now, in the sense that you might compare a PDK car vs a manual R8 you have to take that into consideration.

all in all. the main issue with the V8 R8 is straight line accel. handling and turn wise it is marvelous no matter how you cut it. in that sense it is more than the sum of its parts- and more than the sum of the 997 TT's parts too i may add.

and i mean, come on. a RUF 911. beyond the scope of the original comparison. i am well aware of B5 S4's that are capable of 1/4 miles in the 10.5 second range at over 130 mph. and i've seen even faster 1990 mustangs- that would RUFfle your porsche Rami... so i say again, lets keep perspective here guys.

too much is made of numbers imo.

and yes. i do have a V8- but i am trying to be reasonable and going back to the argument that for some the V10 vs V8 performance difference doesn't justify the cost penalty. for others it does. and that the original poster simply has his opinion- he admits he only drove the car in a limited fashion.

on another note, i will be very excited to see what else audi has in store for the R8 chassis. the chassis is insane- as i've been told by R8 mechanics and engineers- so i will be curious to see how powerful they make this car before the end of its lifecycle. ironically, the only thing that may keep huge power from being put into it may be the engine cooling solution.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

well, if instrumented testing has provided such numbers then it is obviously capable of such performance. now, in the sense that you might compare a PDK car vs a manual R8 you have to take that into consideration.

all in all. the main issue with the V8 R8 is straight line accel. handling and turn wise it is marvelous no matter how you cut it. in that sense it is more than the sum of its parts- and more than the sum of the 997 TT's parts too i may add.

and i mean, come on. a RUF 911. beyond the scope of the original comparison. i am well aware of B5 S4's that are capable of 1/4 miles in the 10.5 second range at over 130 mph. and i've seen even faster 1990 mustangs- that would RUFfle your porsche Rami... so i say again, lets keep perspective here guys.

and yes. i do have a V8- but i am trying to be reasonable and going back to the argument that for some the V10 vs V8 performance difference doesn't justify the cost penalty. for others it does. and that the original poster simply has his opinion- he admits he only drove the car in a limited fashion.

on another note, i will be very excited to see what else audi has in store for the R8 chassis. the chassis is insane- as i've been told by R8 mechanics and engineers- so i will be curious to see how powerful they make this car before the end of its lifecycle. ironically, the only thing that may keep huge power from being put into it may be the engine cooling solution.
    I don't think anybody disagrees with you. In fact, I agree with you entirely. The R8 is an outstanding car, one of a handful of the great cars on the planet.

You put it well, it's greater than the sum of its parts. Much better car than the TT. When running canyons, the R8 is dangerously close to my F430.

I can only imagine how good it will be with another 100 hp. But if the V10 did not exist, I would keep my R8 for a long time. As it is, it has stayed while a GT3 and GT3 RS both left my garage. It is a phenomonal car.

You're absolutely correct when saying the R8 is the better car overall compared to the mighty 997 turbo. That is the reason why I sold mine. Even in Rt12 guise it's still "just" a Porsche. An R8 on the other hand is "just" an Audi but a damn special one.

I understand that you will, as an R8 V8 owner, defend your car. That is only normal. For you the performance difference may not justify the price gap but for me it's exactly that performance difference that does justify the price gap Put the V8 and V10 next to each other and it will utterly destroy it. I've seen the V10 perform against one of the fastest supercars out there atm: the Lambo LP560-4 coupé. The Lambo won ... by inches!
    Now put the V8 next to the LP560 and see what happens. I already did with my LP560-4 Spyder ... not a pretty sight for the R8

Of course it's not a slow car. But in straight line performance ... in this particular category ... it just is.

Numbers aren't everything indeed. The R8 is a masterpiece, be it in V8 or V10 shape.

Numbers aren't everything indeed. The R8 is a masterpiece, be it in V8 or V10 shape.
    Nothing to add
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net