Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regular vs. Sound-enhancing exhaust

Regular vs. Sound-enhancing exhaust

Did anyone notice a distinct difference between the two? I spent 5 minutes listening for differences and I couldn't pick it up. The only thing that I may have noticed was that the sound enhancing exhaust may have had a little "backfire" note to it, like Harleys, but even that I thought was in my head. Wife and sales guys also couldn't hear a difference.

At any rate, someone at my dealer didn't take delivery of his Avus RS6 so I snatched it up yesterday. I was stuck at MS-4 for weeks and getting restless. Will be taking delivery sometime next week as the car is getting prepped!

Also, I saw a debadged Mugello Blue RS6 in the parking lot at the Great Bay Athletic Club in Newmarket, NH. Does that belong to anyone here? Very stealthy!
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Re: Regular vs. Sound-enhancing exhaust

Originally posted by JJV-MA
    Did anyone notice a distinct difference between the two? I spent 5 minutes listening for differences and I couldn't pick it up. The only thing that I may have noticed was that the sound enhancing exhaust may have had a little "backfire" note to it, like Harleys, but even that I thought was in my head. Wife and sales guys also couldn't hear a difference.
    that's the same difference i heard. must be in both our heads. it also seems to be just a touch louder from the inside. as from the outside it is pretty dang close

Ben

Personally I believe that the Sport Exhaust does make a difference to the performance of the car and that for the US because of regualtions and what have you, Audi calls it sound enhancing exhaust and the strange thing is that it does not seem to enhance the sound much according to you guys.

Furthermore, I read in the local motor press, after a bunch of South African journalists were invited in May or June to sample the RS6 and the S4 in Germany, that "someone" at Quattro Ghmb" said that the current version of the RS6 does 4.7 seconds from 0-100 km/h and that they are now getting 4.6 sec. from 0-100 k with the sport exhaust.

If the exhaust does not make much aural difference, why would Audi bother if it also did not make any difference to the performance of the car?
    Unless it's a scam and we are dealing with an unethical company, which I don't believe.
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

at any rate, someone at my dealer didn't take delivery of his Avus RS6 so I snatched it up yesterday.
    JJV-MA, Congratulations!!! Was that the color you originally wanted?

Also, I saw a debadged Mugello Blue RS6 in the parking lot at the Great Bay Athletic Club in Newmarket, NH. Does that belong to anyone here? Very stealthy!
    I think it would be really deceiving to not just debadge the car, but also put A6/2.8 badging in its place (not for me, but if you'r egoing for stealth).

Unless it's a scam and we are dealing with an unethical company, which I don't believe.
    Very funny

the current version of the RS6 does 4.7 seconds from 0-100 km/h and that they are now getting 4.6 sec. from 0-100 k with the sport exhaust.
    I'll take a .1 second improvement as an added bonus for the option!

Finnus

Last edited by Finnus; August 21st, 2003 at 13:27.
    2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Congrats JJV-MA!

The difference in exhaust should be inside the car.

Outside it is already at the limit of what's approved.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Finnus, Avus was what I had originally ordered too. The three differences were (1) silver instead of ebony interior, (2) no sound-enhancing exhaust, and (3) rear side airbags. Frankly, the silver vs. ebony was a coin toss for me, so I am just as happy. As for the exhaust, I like the LOOK of the silver tips vs. the black tips, but I'm sure I would have liked the upgraded SOUND in the cabin, so in the end that was a push too. I didn't order the airbags, but I'll take 'em if it means I get into an RS 6 early!!

Erik, no wonder we couldn't detect a difference outside the car. We were all trying so hard to hear the difference while we would rotate stepping on the accelerator in each car and listen from the outside.

I can't wait to take delivery next week, but then I am going away for the long holiday weekend so the car will be sitting in the garage!! What is it with many of us going away after we take delivery? I feel like a kid the week before Christmas. I haven't felt this way, well, since I was kid!!
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

I am a bit concerned...is there anyone out there that got the sound enhancing system, but still got black tips? I ordered sound enhancing exhaust, but my tips are black. How can I tell? It sounds enhanced, but I don't have anything to compare it to and my sticker says it's on the car. Please bear in mind...I'm not a mechanic!!! Thanks!

Originally posted by luckylady
    I am a bit concerned
    Black tips are the sound-enhanced (aka sports) exhaust option. Standard tips are shiny.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Thanks Brit!!! That is what I was thinking - I mis-took the original post. I had my windows tinted - looks terrific! I'll be posting pictures soon.

JJV-MA,

SOOOOO got a little impatient did we. Compleatly understandable as I did as well......I did not have the heart to tell you the other day. I am going write a review after break in so that I get the cars full potential. I hope you enjoy the car when you get it.

03 RS6 in a garage near me
    01 S8
    92 S4

Benman,

Originally posted by Bauer
    SOOOOO got a little impatient did we. Compleatly understandable as I did as well......I did not have the heart to tell you the other day.
    Thank you for sparing me!! I was going out of my mind last week. All is well that ends well!
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

The way we understand it is that the sound enhancing system is a larger bore than the "normal" system. O.CT did see some power gains with the sound-enhancing system. Further gains yet from the Milltek catback which has a larger bore than the sound enhancing system. -Pete, Stratmosphere

Personally, I would have skipped the extra loud exhaust. The "normal" one has a nice enough sound, and my neighbors and wife wouldn't tell me it sounds like a motorcycle outside when I drive.

Might be worth to add - UK mag EVO said they thought some of the exhaust options offered by tuners ruined the car i.e. no stealth and that some of the exhasut just were too loud, and also changed the sound quite a bit.

If you've seen the MTM video that was around you know what I mean.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

The MTM, monster loud as reported by EVO Mag. The Milltek is not like that. We have a couple of customers up here running the Milltek. -Pete

...c'mon everybody.....we want the beast too "look" stealthy but we want it to "sound" like a big block chevy

sound is great

From lots of folks in my office, the ones that I've talked to, they all said wonderful things about the sound of the car.
    The car is still stealth as far as I'm concerned even with the sound enhancing exhaust.
    It's a V8 under the hood, and it's hard to hide some of the wonderful sounding power.

It's not as if it sounds like a 'fart can' exhaust!

Talking Re: sound is great

Originally posted by nene
    It's not as if it sounds like a 'fart can' exhaust!