Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: RS6 with bad trans and/or bad motor

I'll knock on wood then. After almost 3 years of ownership and 25K I've added to it (53K total), mine has never been in the shop. I do all of my own Maintenence and have all of the parts for the control arms as it is time (sad that they're needed at 50K).
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I'll knock on wood then. After almost 3 years of ownership and 25K I've added to it (53K total), mine has never been in the shop. I do all of my own Maintenence and have all of the parts for the control arms as it is time (sad that they're needed at 50K).
    Same for me with 275 000 kms......
    MTM Clubsport 6 speeds mechanical gearbox

Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    Well, No such luck. Went down this morning to start her up and she's sitting in a huge pool of oil..

Whats next? Locusts?
    Sorry to hear that Paul. You sure are one trooper to stick with this beast after all you have been through with Audi as a whole. Hope the $20K was not out of your pocket. Good luck and hope you baby stops bleeding oil soon!
    Robert
    06 Magnum SRT8 : Trinity
    06 Sequoia AKA: The School bus

So, back on to my original post. It seems that the original response that finding a broken RS6 should be easy, is not at all correct?

I'm still looking and not having any luck.

Since most of them are coming off of warranty, maybe it shouldn't be too hard in the near future??

I've got a 6 speed kit nearly complete and I'm anticipating that there will be a market for a 6 speed conversion once folks aren't worried about voiding their warranties. It's most likely going to be a more robust setup than the tippy trans, too.

Hypothetically, I'll throw it out there as a teaser. What would someone be willing to pay for the following kit:

01E 6 speed trans (beefed up and geared properly for the RS6)
    Accompanying rear end
    Prop shaft
    Front axles
    Wet & Dry clutch / shifter items
    Misc wiring
    Custom engine/trans adapter
    Custom starter
    Properly coded ECU
    Mounting hardware
    Trans cooling delete items.

Eventually I'm going to start a new thread for this, but I'm hoping for some initial feedback.

what do you mean by "accompanying rear end" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clubsport View Post
    what do you mean by "accompanying rear end" ?
    This is where I show my lack of experience, but I'm pretty sure if you put a 6 speed in the RS6 and keep the stock rear end (ring & pinion), the front wheels will spin at a different rate from the rear wheels.

By "accompanying" I mean that the front diff must match the rear diff. Please correct me if I'm wrong here?

No, you are right, but the ratio on a O1E and on the rs6 gearbox is not the same. On the 01E, 40 km/h for 1000 rpm and 50 km/h for 1000 rpm on the rs6. The output shaft on the 01E must be replace to keep the same top speed on the rs6.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I've got a 6 speed kit nearly complete and I'm anticipating that there will be a market for a 6 speed conversion once folks aren't worried about voiding their warranties.
    I agree 100%. A decent manual conversion is bound to be sought after, especially since no one seems to want to repair the tiptro units, just replace them lock, stock and barrel. I'd be interested, but not at MTM prices

Quote Originally Posted by Shoppinit View Post
    I'd be interested, but not at MTM prices
    What is MTM charging?

I've heard that they swapped blocks and internals to make it happen. I'm not sure how they did this because the upper oil pans are different among other things. Once you open up the rod and main caps, unless you're MTM, it's very difficult to find replacement internals, etc., too.

My R&D has yielded an adapter that will replace the OEM 01E transmission spacer and not add to any length of the drivetrain. This makes swapping things much easier. My current project/prototype uses all the components from an A6 2.7T 6 spd car.

I had the trans and engine block CMM'd and laser scanned for the adapter design, so the precision should be where it needs to be. I just wish I had more time to work on this.

As for pricing, the 01E trans is anywhere from $2800 to over $6000 depending on the source, (new/used) and options. Then all the other goodies . . .

I think clubsport is best equipped to answer this question, since it seems from his signature that he's got the only manual RS6 made by MTM.

I think clubsport is best equipped to answer this question, since it seems from his signature that he's got the only manual RS6 made by MTM.
    I think you are wright......

This is where I show my lack of experience, but I'm pretty sure if you put a 6 speed in the RS6 and keep the stock rear end (ring & pinion), the front wheels will spin at a different rate from the rear wheels.

By "accompanying" I mean that the front diff must match the rear diff. Please correct me if I'm wrong here?
    The Rs6 rear diff uses a 4.11 Ring And pinion which happens to be the same ratio as the 01E front crown and pinon gears.

What is MTM charging?
    Last I heard 20,000 Euros
    www.advancedautomotion.com

I know, because I saw it with my eyes and I took it in my hands, that the output shaft in my 01E is a special one.

I believe you. There's an interesting youtube video about the MTM clubsport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Wf4K7a0kI

Clubsport, how did they get around the TCU/ECU problem since the RS6 ECU is only designed for auto boxes?

YES, it is my car....

Fir the tcu/ecu problem, they make a totally new ecu which is the GUMPERT appolo development ecu......

That's probably part of the reason the conversion is so expensive, although I wouldn't be surprised if MTM didn't make any profit on that conversion. I presume it was bosch who did your ECU.

In any case, the clubsport looks and sounds fantastic. Did you get the dent out of the back wing after he slid into the snow bank?
    Last edited by Shoppinit; July 30th, 2009 at 12:14. Reason: remove video link

In any case, the clubsport looks and sounds fantastic. Did you get the dent out of the back wing after he slid into the snow bank?
    the clubsport sounds really fantastic. When I Took the car at the airport, it was perfect : http://roc-racing-historic.fr/Livrai...ort%202008.htm

So when are you selling it?