Thread: MTM Vs APR

MTM Vs APR

I am curious to the talk about the 2 major companies in terms of there ECU upgrades. I know APR says 65-70 hp more and MTM is 50. It seems that no matter what, the reliablity factor has to be the main issue here. Any thoughts?
    Aaron.

the board seems to like Revo, MTM is preferred worldwide, APR seems to be on a second tier... But I think ultimately, it's a question of what your tuner uses and is comfortable with.

Watch out for the term "tuner". If you consider a shop that sells XYZ equipment to "tune" your ECU.

Consider this. Is anyone at XYZ shop really doing anything other than installing software or even a chip. Thats it really. They are just salespeople that really have no means to alter the outcome. You may like Jimmy at ABC Motorsports but Jimmy has no effect on the outcome. None, zero, nada.

Getting back to MTM vs APR. Given the choice between these 2 companies. I would choose MTM every single time. We have had owners here with bad outcomes from APR. IMHO. Thats really all I have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    the board seems to like Revo, MTM is preferred worldwide, APR seems to be on a second tier... But I think ultimately, it's a question of what your tuner uses and is comfortable with.

Personally, and i've stated this before.. i've had both software programs. MTM first, followed by switching to APR. Trust me, i know MTM's reputation and how highly they are regarded - and without taking anything away from them - i like the APR ECU better. On all counts (sensation of power, shifts and lack of problems) i prefer the APR chip.

I can only speak from personal experience. The shop is comfortable with both, and actually assumed i would have liked the MTM better. I will not be switching back to MTM unless things take an unexpected change.
    Fonzie
    Current: '11 S4 | '15 S8 | '14 911 Turbo S | '15 SQ5 | '03 RS6 | '16 RS7 | '11 458 Italia
    Past: '13 S6 | '12 P85 | '13 P85+ | '10 E63 | '12 S65 | '09 A4

As stated above, you may want to consider Revo. A Revo dealer will "program" your ECU for a free 5 hour test drive. They also have a serial port switch that permits you to change tune programing.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best- Occam's Razor

Fonzie, how long have you had the APR tune?

I do like the Revo but although it doesn't have a TCU program like MTM & APR, you can get your TCU upgraded through MTM or Hoppen Motorsports in N.A. for cheap.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

My car has had the MTM ECU for 5 years and has had no problems and it runs great. On the other hand I do not like that it does not have a valet mode.

ive had apr for about 2 years now.

also enjoy valet mode and security lock mode
    Fonzie
    Current: '11 S4 | '15 S8 | '14 911 Turbo S | '15 SQ5 | '03 RS6 | '16 RS7 | '11 458 Italia
    Past: '13 S6 | '12 P85 | '13 P85+ | '10 E63 | '12 S65 | '09 A4