Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTM turns up the wick on the 2010 Audi S4

Hybrid View

MTM turns up the wick on the 2010 Audi S4

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/05/m...-2010-audi-s4/

430hp from just a ECU tune!

would love to see a 500hp S4 with additional tuning!
    Last edited by combo3010; July 6th, 2009 at 09:37.

Nice
    '01 - A4 B6 2.0
    '05 - A4 B7 2.0 TFSi "rs4 look"
    '06 - A8 D3 4.2 TDI
    '08 - RS6 C6 :D

great car ! just imagine 4.7 for 100 kmh! This is insane

That is a lot of gain by just an ECU tune... @ 30% increase!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post

Ben
    I happen to agree with you here Ben, it does sound excessive. Unless the true figures for that engine are closer to 360hp which given it's acceleration times and weight would sound more realistic than 330hp, then it's only a 20% increase that though still high is much more believeable.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Unless the true figures for that engine are closer to 360hp, then it's only a 20% increase that though still high is much more believeable.
    That may be the case. 20% is very doable with a mighty fine tune. I believe that is the ballpark for the old B5 S4 chips.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post

Ben
    Ben

I was frankly astonished they could get 30% more power from ECU alone but when you look a bit deeper you see that it's only about a 15% peak torque increase. The stock engine has torque managed to drop off at about 5.5k revs, the MTM upgrade ups peak torque sure but also let's the peak torque stay much further up the rev range. Audi haven't opened the taps fully on this engine!

Marv

Very nice numbers from the MTM S4! However, regarding character, I think its a deliberate choice. Indeed, those who tune Audis typically seem to be more into engine and exhaust modifications than suspension tuning as far as I can tell - I think a full fledged MTM S4 with revised suspension and brakes and the sport diff would be much closer in spirit and performance to a RS car than only a partly modified one. Of course, you could in turn tune a RS car to be more hardcore also - but the character seems to be more by typical customer choice than intrinsic to opportunities.

Slightly off topic, MTM or other tuning and those of you who have bought it: do you worry about durability and resale value? I am asking because I once had a MTM re-mapped S3 and while I really loved it, it was sadly not exactly an advantage when I finally sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroFun View Post

Slightly off topic, MTM or other tuning and those of you who have bought it: do you worry about durability and resale value? I am asking because I once had a MTM re-mapped S3 and while I really loved it, it was sadly not exactly an advantage when I finally sold it.
    I've never had a durability problem with MTM - they are pretty thoughtful about how they tune without overdoing it. They also have a strong links with Audi. Then again I've never gone beyond a stage 1 software tune. New intake, exhaust, fuel, turbo, nitrous etc is a whole different game.

With regard resale, the new MTM cantronic tune uses a dongle that plugs in over the ECU. You can simply take it off and the car reverts to normal behaviour. If you happen to buy another Audi then MTM can just reprogram the dongle and you can plug it into the next one.

Abt Sportsline do 435 hp.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

That is a lot of hp from just an ecu. But maybe this engine is that good..?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    That is a lot of hp from just an ecu. But maybe this engine is that good..?
    I imagine it's more a case of Audi being very, very conservative about it's true output figures.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I imagine it's more a case of Audi being very, very conservative about it's true output figures.
    Spot on Leadie. At least in my case anyway.
    I had the MTM upgrade put on my S4 at the beginning of last week. The dyno on the car before the upgrade showed 347bhp!
    Dyno with the upgrade was over 400bhp but by the time we were doing the testing it was getting too hot to get good readings (~32 degrees C in south of england last week). I'm going back next week for a propper dyno run. I'll post the graphs when I have them.

Now Audi has to come with a really good engine for the RS5. I know it's settled already, but with the S5 3.0 coming starting week 45, and then with the MTM tune for it .. I might just get the new S5 and chip it instead of buying the RS5 for some 20hp more. Hopefully the RS car will bring more than 20hp increase, maybe some weight lost or other goodies.. or else the S4/5+chip=RS5.

I agree fully with Pampas on this point, the S5 with a tuned 3.0 V6 seems more interesting than a NA 4.2 in the RS5.

Quote Originally Posted by S6V10Avant View Post
    I agree fully with Pampas on this point, the S5 with a tuned 3.0 V6 seems more interesting than a NA 4.2 in the RS5.
    LoL, anyone for a 335 Vs. M3 dillema?

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    LoL, anyone for a 335 Vs. M3 dillema?
    That sucks, I really hoped Audi knows better than that ... somehow I still hope ..

After all, why spend 20K more on a RS5 when I can get the S5 with close to same performance, I should be happy .. somehow I am NOT !!!

I know the B7 S4 to B7 RS4 difference was greater (70bhp) but the character of the RS is SO different to the S - S = soft boulevard cruiser, RS = edgy performance vehicle.

If Audi have retained the same character difference (which is about a lot more than just power - it's about handling and edginess, etc.) between the S5 and the RS5 then I'd still opt for the RS5 - especially as it will have a characterful V8 exhaust note and not a bland V6 exhaust note.