Thread: New DRC install questions.

New DRC install questions.

Last week, after surviving for 11 months, my fourth DRC system repair/replacement suffered a complete and immediate failure while I was on the last leg of a round trip from Houston to Austin. (This failure was very uncharacteristic to the others I have had or read about from others, and I will describe it at a later time).

Now all the parts but one valve are in and we are waiting to start the redesigned DRC replacement procedure. They have also received the new "tools" to do the pressurization and testing. This will be the first "new and improved" parts install that my tech has performed. I had hoped not to be the guinea pig project, but I have no choice.

So my question is this...

Did the service departments that have already done some of your cars have a technician come in from AoA to assist or observe the in-house tech through the procedure for their initial install? Does anyone else remember reading that something like that was available and/or recommended by AoA, similar to a training seminar?

Well,

I would think if the dealer just calls Audi tech assist they will walk your tech thru the first repair.

Critical points from where I sit.

1. Make sure the new special tool is the one that has a manual pumping valve that the tech has to sit there and pump, pump, pump while watching the gauge to reach proper pressure.

2. Its not critical or even needed to change the central valves if you have the above special tool. (My CVs were not replaced and my car is perfect)

3. All the air must be bled and proper pressure introduced into each "X" link. The only way to assure that is to use the special tool with the manual pumping valve.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    Last week, after surviving for 11 months, my fourth DRC system repair/replacement suffered a complete and immediate failure while I was on the last leg of a round trip from Houston to Austin. (This failure was very uncharacteristic to the others I have had or read about from others, and I will describe it at a later time).

Now all the parts but one valve are in and we are waiting to start the redesigned DRC replacement procedure. They have also received the new "tools" to do the pressurization and testing. This will be the first "new and improved" parts install that my tech has performed. I had hoped not to be the guinea pig project, but I have no choice.

So my question is this...

Did the service departments that have already done some of your cars have a technician come in from AoA to assist or observe the in-house tech through the procedure for their initial install? Does anyone else remember reading that something like that was available and/or recommended by AoA, similar to a training seminar?

All Audi techs have access to Audi TV which they can watch an instructional video with step by step instructions on how to use the new parts etc.
    There were also circulars and tech update pages sent to all dealers.
    I would be more concerned about the IQ of the tech...

My tech is the only guy I trust to touch my car, and he has become an expert in DRC systems thanks to my car's problems, without much upfront help from AoA.

But both I and my tech saw how Audi communicated DRC repair procedures (or lack of them) in the past, and I'd like to be sure everything is done right the first time this time.

Which dealer are you using? Mine are ready for replacement, and the RS6 rep told me to take it to the dealer for "diagnosis" and they would get the parts to them. Glad to know someone here already has the tools. Thanks for being the local guinea pig!

Oh, and do tell us about the failure while you're at it.

Scott/Bob;

I was in Millennium a while ago and spoke with Mike about the timing. I volunteered to be last! Not so much because I didn't want to be the guinea pig but because my DRC is still in denial and thinks it is working. Hopefully with enough positive energy and the correct planetary alignment I won't have to resort to small animal sacrifices before my turn arrives.
    -----Current-----
    '03 RS6/ Avus Silver/Black interior/CF trim/RNS-e + Sirius + BT/SE exhaust/RS6+ pedal kit/20" forged wheels
    -----Retired-----
    '01 S8
    '90 V8 Executive
    '86 5000 CD Turbo
    '84 5000
    '82 5000

Last edited by RS6-4dr911; June 23rd, 2009 at 16:59. Reason: major blunder

Audi. Just north of 1960.

LOL, I call foul on that edit! (damn, I wish I had quoted it with my reply above)

Jon, Kevin should be starting Wed or Thurs on my car. He is going to call me when he gets it lifted so I could swing by. You should try to do the same.