Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to perform a pressure test on the RS6?

How to perform a pressure test on the RS6?

Is there a special tool from audi or something you can make on your own?

Any help appreciated!

hey p3u, did you manage the pressure test..??
    yes there is a special tool, but you can make your own - go buy a new coolant tank cap, then take old one (even if nothing is wrong with it) and break the centre pressure valve section out (it actually clips out), then remove the innards of the pressure valve, then get a 1/4" or 3/8" quick coupler and drill/fit it into the cap where the valve goes (you need the pressure valve housing as it has the o-ring on it to seal in the coolant tank) - then get a pump WITH GAUGE to fit the coupler and give the system 1.2 to 1.5 bar (dont know what that is in psi) - any leaks will show up...
    oh, one thing, you need to fit your modified cap to the coolant tank....

I think he's talking about the air intake system.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

there are not so many parts that can leak, if you tighten your hoses well then take intercoolers to the ground and bring em to the radiator shop for a leak test (usually its free), i did this with mines and found leaks on corners

www.WheelsGallery.com

All about wheels and cars.
    Free image gallery, sell or trade your wheels online.

Bumper removal?

Do you need to remove the front bumper to remove the intercoolers? I thought they could just dop out from underneath? I am planning on removing mine soon for an inspection.
    Thanks, Angus

yes, bumper and headlights, cause upper hoses are very tight and its gives you more room to work
    i will be taking down them again this week, maybe I'll make DIY for this job with pictures

Quote Originally Posted by skyegtb View Post
    Do you need to remove the front bumper to remove the intercoolers? I thought they could just dop out from underneath? I am planning on removing mine soon for an inspection.
    Thanks, Angus
    www.WheelsGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Audi-RS6 View Post
    yes, bumper and headlights, cause upper hoses are very tight and its gives you more room to work
    i will be taking down them again this week, maybe I'll make DIY for this job with pictures
    That would be much appreciated and very helpful, please do!
    BR, Angus

As your pictures show. The black soot trail is a dead giveaway that your ICs are leaking.

2nd the DIY on the bumper and IC R&R. Please start a new thread with the proper subject title. And include the above pictures.

Nice job

agree, would love to see a DIY on this one if you have the time.

Cheers

Good info, but does anyone know how to pressure test?

We need more detail.

What the heck are you trying to pressure test!

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    Good info, but does anyone know how to pressure test?

lol, for vac and or boost leaks.

Well,

Those are two different procedures. Which is it?

"Vac" I assume your wastegate lines and wastegate dashpots. Well, you will need a small mechanical device that tests vaccum and or pressure. Pump in one direction it makes vac and the other makes pressure. Simple device....check autoparts stores or online stores. 50 bucks topps

"Boost" I assume you want to test the intercooler pipes and intercooler. This will be a ton of work and custom caps and fittings with a gauge. 10+ hours of work maybe more and some fittings and caps. And you will need a air compressor to charge the lines. Huge job.

Do you know what your looking for?

What are the results of the tests that were asked for?

This all could be wasting time if you dont have results of the Vag tests.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Well,

Those are two different procedures. Which is it?

"Vac" I assume your wastegate lines and wastegate dashpots. Well, you will need a small mechanical device that tests vaccum and or pressure. Pump in one direction it makes vac and the other makes pressure. Simple device....check autoparts stores or online stores. 50 bucks topps

"Boost" I assume you want to test the intercooler pipes and intercooler. This will be a ton of work and custom caps and fittings with a gauge. 10+ hours of work maybe more and some fittings and caps. And you will need a air compressor to charge the lines. Huge job.

Do you know what your looking for?

What are the results of the tests that were asked for?

This all could be wasting time if you dont have results of the Vag tests.

I've been logging continously for over a week, seems to be requestiong 100-150mb more then what it actually makes, hence wanting to test.

But, has the problem occured?

I dont know if you can get all your charge pipes off and test them. You may just test the IC's.

But, if the real problem has not occured in a week. I would not be tearing the car down to search for that needle just yet

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    But, has the problem occured?

I dont know if you can get all your charge pipes off and test them. You may just test the IC's.

But, if the real problem has not occured in a week. I would not be tearing the car down to search for that needle just yet
    I shouldnt have to tear apart anything before doing a pressure test, as it will show if there is a leak. There is an adapter made for the 2.7 that goes on the Y pipe, I need to find something similar. I shouldn't have to remove anything unless I discover a source of a leak.

Funny thing is since I have been doing the continous logs to track down the inconsistent power I haven't had the issue. I did replace the brake switch at the same time, issue happened once on the first day of install, but not since the one time.

Even though the problem has not happened in over a week, which is amazing, the fact that the boost requested is not being meet by the actual amount makes me wonder. 100-150mb less the what it is supposed to make seems to be off quite a bit, or is this typical of the beast?

DIY for intercoolers is posted...

back to pressure test

Vacuum leak:
    usually comes from small hoses under the airbox, replacing them will fix most of the issues (personally tested, since I had code for Second Air System airflow too low, simply remove airbox and buy hoses in auto parts store, 40 min job.
    I can make pictures of those hoses if needed

Boost leak:
    you cannot really test it, I tried
    you can have a leak after the turbo sends the pressurised air, so testing it from the intake is waste of time. and after the intake there are 3 big hoses on each side, and one small hose going to the Bypass Valve, the rest is metal, so in theory you can have either intercooler (which looks like most common) leak or hose leak
    I will be fixing my intercoolers tommorow, I'll make some pcitures of all hoses...
    www.WheelsGallery.com

Guys, sorry it may sound a stupid question, but what that leak in intercooler can do? loose power? high temp? no quick response???
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari