Thread: TT-RS with DSG?

TT-RS with DSG?

Can anyone confirm or deny whether Audi is working on an up-rated DSG box strong enough to handle the extra torque of the TT-RS's 5-cylinder engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Brakedust View Post
    Can anyone confirm or deny whether Audi is working on an up-rated DSG box strong enough to handle the extra torque of the TT-RS's 5-cylinder engine?
    What you need to be asked is whether Audi will be using the MLP platform for the next A3 or not. If the answer happens to be yes then I doubt they will go to the expense of developing a gearbox.
    Search and you will find the truth.

audi has one for the upcoming V8 engine replacement and for the RS5- for the TT layout, however not sure it can be adapted. yet.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    audi has one for the upcoming V8 engine replacement and for the RS5- for the TT layout, however not sure it can be adapted. yet.
    Unless I am greatly mistaken the two gearbox internals (DQ500 and DQ250) have nothing in common and one can not adapt to the other and vice versa.

DQ250

DQ500

An A3 built on the MLP platform? That sounds interesting (although unlikely) please tell me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakedust View Post
    An A3 built on the MLP platform? That sounds interesting (although unlikely) please tell me more.
    Don't read to much into this, it's only a theory that some of us think might happen to separate Audi from the rest of the VAG group, the MLP platform is modular and can be stretched or shortened to suit the application. Whether this would be a cost effective way of developing a new A3/TT and allow the same interior packaging is someone I know very little about.

But from a purely performance/handling perspective it would definitely be better because you have more control over where the engine ends up in relation to the front axle. Plus you get the wealth of engine/gearbox combinations from the rest of the range.

Just look how much better the Subaru Impreza 4WD is compare to a S3 or TT RS.
    Probably one of the best 4WD systems out there.

There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Unless I am greatly mistaken the two gearbox internals (DQ500 and DQ250) have nothing in common
    They would, but the lower pic is the DL500, the one for the longitudinal platform. The DQ500 would be the one we all are (or at least I am) waiting for

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post
    They would, but the lower pic is the DL500, the one for the longitudinal platform. The DQ500 would be the one we all are (or at least I am) waiting for
    My bad. Yeah it was the DL500 I was meaning, at least I got the picture right which is something.