Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porsche 997.2 GT3 Drivers Republic impression

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    On the open road and as a daily driver the R8 is untouchable among supercars but when put up against a true track star as the 997.2 GT3 is then I can't see the ordinary R8 putting up much of a fight.
    I may see RXBG's point about pricing. Both are high quality, extremely fast 2 seaters that hold only so much luggage (nod to the R8) and according to this review, both are just as comfortable on the road as on the track.

So for the money vs the R8 V10, the GT3 sounds like the winner.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Just for those interested-new 997.2 GT3 Ring time is 7.40min...
    :bigeyes:

Dear Friends,

if i am allowed to say, for me- the GTR is no match for the 997.2 GT3. You got to keep in mind, the GT3 is manual. If the decission of adding PDK would have been set, the ring time would have been in the GTR claimed area. And this time would have been reproduceable without a doubt.

Driving wise, the GT3 is like you got wheels mounted to your torso. :cool2:

Best german pure track demand-orientated street legal car.

Qisha

PS: R8 GT3 excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

if i am allowed to say, for me- the GTR is no match for the 997.2 GT3. You got to keep in mind, the GT3 is manual. If the decission of adding PDK would have been set, the ring time would have been in the GTR claimed area. And this time would have been reproduceable without a doubt.

Qisha
    :cool2:

Dear Friends,

Qisha

PS: R8 GT3 excluded.
    Dear Qisha, do you mean that PDK makes the car really faster than manual version? It will be great really but hos is that possible?

Porsche 911 GT3 Posts 7m 40s Time on Nurburgring

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090424....on-nurburgring
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Porsche 911 GT3 Posts 7m 40s Time on Nurburgring

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090424....on-nurburgring
    Amazing by a car with "only" 435hp. Must be one great driving-machine.

All thumbs way up in the air for Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    Amazing by a car with "only" 435hp. Must be one great driving-machine.

All thumbs way up in the air for Porsche.
    Keep in mind it weights 3000lbs, so it is basically barely heavier than a Honda S2000, nearly a full 1000 pounds lighter than the GT-R. For me, that is the way to go. Like a certain Colin Chapman used to say, "Just add lightness".

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    Keep in mind it weights 3000lbs, so it is basically barely heavier than a Honda S2000, nearly a full 1000 pounds lighter than the GT-R. For me, that is the way to go. Like a certain Colin Chapman used to say, "Just add lightness".

Ben
    I do have that i mind, and that is NOT a bad thing.

But it also has 435 of those magical Porsche ponnies, very strong ponnies that is.. But as you say, lightness is one very important factor.

it all depend how drivs the car.

a gtr driven by Horst von Saurma Sport Auto test driver, wouldnt deffinitly hit the 7.3xx, give it between 7.5 and 7.4xx ring time.

the same Horst von Saurma will be faster with the new gt3.

I think it is not fair to compaire ring times with special factory drivers with sport auto ring times...

Just remember dtm driver on the rs4b7, was it not Stippler witch dit a 7.57 ring time, and Sport auto Horst von Saurme did the 8.09.

Hugh difference from driving skills....

Porsche never made a special ring time for example an 911 turbo and puplished this time as Nissan did.
    Walter Röhrl or other Porsche Factory driver would for sure make some amazing time..

Qisha
    if you buy a new GT3 will the warranty also void (like GTR) if you go with this car onto the track(what it is obvious build for)? ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    what was the GTR's---7.3 something?
    7:26.7 now.

But I like the idea of an 8500rpm 3.8 flat-six.

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post

Ben
    I will take a lighter car over more horsepower any day. A light car with lots of horsepower is even better. I spent my "day off" yesterday doing back to back drives on the same road with 2 different cars, the 997.1 GT3 and the Scuderia. I'm not even going to compare the 2, as they are in totally different leagues, but they are both more than capable and have the power and handling to take just about whatever corner you throw at them. One thing common to both of them is light weight.

Later my wife and I went out to dinner in her car, an E63 wagon, which has more HP and more weight and it felt like an rock in comparison.

Everything about the Porsche reeks of "Engineering". The Ferrari is the car Porsche could have made if they didn't have to work with the constraint of MSRP.

Love the vehicles you've got (or want) despite their shortcomings, because next year there will always be one that's faster. In spite of that, there's a level of enjoyment in vehicles that I find difficult to quantify or compare unless I've actually been behind the wheel of a particular car. Racing on paper is great for getting benchmarks, but don't lose sight of why we buy these stupid things

If the GTR was an entire MINUTE faster than the next iteration of the GT3, I'd still go with a GT3. This is not to start a flame war as to which vehicle is best.
    2007 997 GT3 Carrera White
    2009 Mercedes E63 Wagon, Black/Black
    2009 Ferrari F430 Scuderia, Rosso Corsa

Sold:
    2003 RS6 Ebony Pearl, Black Interior, NAV, Exhaust, XM Radio.
    2005 Maserati Quattroporte, Sport Package, Nero Carbonio, Cuolo Sella Seats.
    2006 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Love how alot of forums are comparing figures/stats of cars recently. Would also love to see owners extract similar quoted figures out off their cars! For me, it's more about the driving experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbozilla View Post
    I will take a lighter car over more horsepower any day. A light car with lots of horsepower is even better.......

If the GTR was an entire MINUTE faster than the next iteration of the GT3, I'd still go with a GT3. This is not to start a flame war as to which vehicle is best.
    J, good to see you back on board! Nice fresh stable aswell!