Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on RS5 engine

Update on RS5 engine

Heard this morning: RS5 will be the first Audi model to have new V8 4.0-litre TFSI engine.

This is same engine to be used in new A8. It is smaller in size as well as in capacity than existing 4.2 litre V8. It also introduces a new and exotic form of twin-charging. I don't know the full details yet.

I don't know anything about new 8-speed tiptronic or whether new longitudinal S-tronic can handle torque. But it is highly likely that RS5 will share the same set-up as next A8, albeit with different performance characteristics, to minimize costs.

It is going to be a fantastic car.

I hope this is true, but what we've heard in the spy-videos, the engine is screaming out: "I'm a rev-machine"

Where did you get this from??I didn't see one site which is claiming it is going to be a supercharged or turboed....

Cannot reveal source.

BTW, it was always the plan for RS5 to have this engine. And yes, it does rev pretty good.

Qisha my firend, I think that claims in original post requires some comment from you...

BTW, this is already third thread with almost the same claim by tailpipe. Do not get me wrong but, you seems to want 4.0 TFSI more then Audi Marketing and Technical Department...

would be more then sick if this is true

but nothing agains you @tailpipe other sources like new AMS magazine and autobild said also it will be 4.2 HDL with 450 PS. so in the latest testmule on youtube you can also hear a HDZ. i think your not right my friend.
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

I will repeat myself once again... I would love to see this engine in RS 5, but I just don't see that one coming. 4,2 is what I think it will get!

tailpipe- i dream about this kind of thing every night.

qman would say "soon you will find out my friends"- which would just drive us more crazy.

but i still believe the consensus- NA V8 460 hp with DSG. which would bring the official 0-60 down from 4.6 for the RS4 to 4.3 with the DSG (and 4.2 in the R8)
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

1:

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    1:

Good one Qisha

Yes some people never give up
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    1:

nice one reply

Listen to the sound from the engine on the latest video footage of the RS5 hammering around the ring, it's a N/A ultra high revving engine. Now unless Audi are trying to throw all it's competitors a curve ball with this test mule and are really intending to fit a forced induction engine then they definitely have us all fooled because I am as convinced as ever that it's as always will be a N/A engine.

The only unknown on my part is the output figures and at their respective rev points. As for the actual performance figures and what it will achieve, well that will really be determined when it's overall weight is known and how it's gear ratios have been set up.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Sorry but I think Audi would be making a mistake with a N/A engine. Coupled with the fact that N/A engines are being deleted on most 2010 North American models itleast, it's a safe assumption the engine will be charged someway.

This is a quote from Qisha - from the other RS5 Thread...

I rate the BMW 4.4 Twin Turbo and Jaguars new Supercharged V8 both as the most advanced V8s on the market right now. A masterpiece of engineering would be a combined- twincharged engine...

Qisha
    maybe the new engine Tailpipe is talking about - is this masterpiece of engineering?
    just thinking...

I'm taking a lot of heat for my outspoken comments. But I stand by what I've said, notwithstanding last week's article in Germany's AMS. Audi is very happy for everyone to believe that the RS5 gets an up-rated version of the existing 4.2 V8 FSI. Remember, Audi never confirms or denies the technical set-up until a new model is actually launched. Prior to the launch of the latest RS4, everyone thought it would be a souped-up version of the existing 4.2-litre V8 without FSI technology. One person reported that it would use FSI a year before it arrived; that was me.

Since the last RS4 introduced FSI technology, its V8 engine has become Audi's primary V8 offering, albeit used in various states of tune across different models. Similarly, the new TFSI (twincharged) 4.0-litre engine will offer similar flexibility. Trust me, this engine is coming with a vengeance, because Audi needs it to maintain its increasing technology lead. What also needs to be said about it is that, on paper, the new 4.0's specifications suggest a performance that will blow even Porsche's latest V8s into the weeds, while offering superior economy and emissions. I will say no more except wait and see.

Yes, but what's the point of ''blowing'' Porsche, or any other member of the VAG...?
    That engine will find its place in all of them in the shortest period of time.

BTW, I still think that RS 5 is getting 4.2l.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    I'm taking a lot of heat for my outspoken comments. But I stand by what I've said, notwithstanding last week's article in Germany's AMS. Audi is very happy for everyone to believe that the RS5 gets an up-rated version of the existing 4.2 V8 FSI. Remember, Audi never confirms or denies the technical set-up until a new model is actually launched. Prior to the launch of the latest RS4, everyone thought it would be a souped-up version of the existing 4.2-litre V8 without FSI technology. One person reported that it would use FSI a year before it arrived; that was me.

Since the last RS4 introduced FSI technology, its V8 engine has become Audi's primary V8 offering, albeit used in various states of tune across different models. Similarly, the new TFSI (twincharged) 4.0-litre engine will offer similar flexibility. Trust me, this engine is coming with a vengeance, because Audi needs it to maintain its increasing technology lead. What also needs to be said about it is that, on paper, the new 4.0's specifications suggest a performance that will blow even Porsche's latest V8s into the weeds, while offering superior economy and emissions. I will say no more except wait and see.
    I sincerely hope you're right. I would love to see such an engine. I wouldn't be able to stop bragging about Audi. Qisha's statement about the twincharger, however, was meant for a future car- not the RS5. But we will see.

One thing is for sure. If the RS5 gets a twincharged motor of some sort it will spell the end of the V8 R8 because I don't think the turbo can be cooled back there. Interestingly, I have never seen a spy picture of a V8 R8 roadster.

I trust that you trust your sources Tailpipe. And its refreshing to see such confidence about an alternative to the "boring" updated RS4 motor...but I still doubt it. If in fact Audi pulls all the stops and surprises all of us it will blow the competition out of the water and put Audi's engineers at the head of the industry. Truly.

It's going to be a long hot summer..... till fall.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Yes, but what's the point of ''blowing'' Porsche, or any other member of the VAG...?
    That engine will find its place in all of them in the shortest period of time.

BTW, I still think that RS 5 is getting 4.2l.
    I don't think Audi ever set out to blow Porsche out of the water; it just happened. Until the merger took place, Audi and Porsche were working in silos. Now that they are all contained within the same group, they've started to compare notes. And it looks like Porsche technology isn't quite as good as Audi's!

(See separate post on this subject in VAG group thread.)