Thread: Engine Oil Temperature Question

Engine Oil Temperature Question

About a week or two ago, I started to notice that the oil temperature reading has been close or on the 200 Fahrenheit degrees mark. I usually don’t push the rpm over 4,000. The weather has been between high 60s and low 70s Fahrenheit for the past two weeks. Prior to that, under the same driving condition and outside temperature, the reading has been around 175 degrees. Do any other RS6ers have the same experience? Should I be concerned about it?

hey jct2033, im going through my conversion tables to work back to celcius (south africa), but our cars are marked from 60 degrees to 180 degrees, with 120 degrees in the middle of the gauge. when we are giving the cars a good hiding on a 30 degree celcius day, the oil temp pegs at 120 degrees - which in fahrenheit is (or should be) 248 degrees. this is about the limit for engine oil, so at your 200 degrees, i wouldnt even worry....

200' isn't even warm for synthetic oil. 220-260' is more of an operating evironment that most synthetics thrive in, or even a little warmer. The cost of running an engine hotter is pre-ignition and other damages of rubber and plastic pieces in the engine and under the hood. So 250' oil temp on a hot day is no problem for synthetic lubrication (good quality). 200' is cool but will be fine too (still warm enough if run long enough to burn off impurities). After running my car on a real hot day, I idle it down for a minute or two and will open the hood to let the engine compartment cool quicker (thinking about those rubber/plastic pieces getting brittle/ageing quicker).
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Justin,

How did the repairs go? Is everything looking good?

I think you need to run the car just alittle harder. Get the temps up to burn off any deposits.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JCT2033 View Post
    About a week or two ago, I started to notice that the oil temperature reading has been close or on the 200 Fahrenheit degrees mark. I usually don’t push the rpm over 4,000. The weather has been between high 60s and low 70s Fahrenheit for the past two weeks. Prior to that, under the same driving condition and outside temperature, the reading has been around 175 degrees. Do any other RS6ers have the same experience? Should I be concerned about it?

Thanks guys for helping me on this one.

Dave, The repair went well. The body shop repaired the rims and front bumper. I also had them work on the front fenders, hood, and rear bumper. I replaced all four tires which I am almost done of breaking them in. Now the beast is "almost" like new.

I was just gonna post that I have been pushing the car hard to try out the new tires and the temperature thing went away. So that must be it. Anyway, I am happy the beast is alive again.

Yeeks, I didnt see anything wrong with those other areas. Your car cant look any newer....its got to feel good. Glad everything worked out.

Which tire did you go with?

Thanks guys for helping me on this one.

Dave, The repair went well. The body shop repaired the rims and front bumper. I also had them work on the front fenders, hood, and rear bumper. I replaced all four tires which I am almost done of breaking them in. Now the beast is "almost" like new.

I was just gonna post that I have been pushing the car hard to try out the new tires and the temperature thing went away. So that must be it. Anyway, I am happy the beast is alive again.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Yeeks, I didnt see anything wrong with those other areas. Your car cant look any newer....its got to feel good. Glad everything worked out.

Which tire did you go with?

There were some minor scratches from driving on So Cal freeways not from the little incident.
    > >
    I installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus to save 10 bucks, as I am thinking of selling the beast. On the other hand, they actually are pretty good.

Have you confirmed that your DRC is screwed?

Again,

Glad that all worked out.

My car is fine. Its not perfect but has lost some pressure. I make more of it than I should. I just dont wish to wait till August. I would like to attend more driving classes and runs.

It always works out.

There were some minor scratches from driving on So Cal freeways not from the little incident.
    > >
    I installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus to save 10 bucks, as I am thinking of selling the beast. On the other hand, they actually are pretty good.

Have you confirmed that your DRC is screwed?

Dave,

I am with you. Audi replaced my DRC systems three time in the past 18 months and the car does feel right. It's a 5-day job (at minimum) every time the shocks pop. I am hoping the new shocks will work better.

I am glad that you dont have to go through that yet.