Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: audi tyre homologation

audi tyre homologation

I`m fucked up yesterday !!!!!!

I installed a new set of 255/35 zr 19 dunlop sport maxx gt tyres at a dealer...

I drove and think...that is not OK !!! it sounds not good...
    the dealer did not checked the space inside...but I´m very shocked, that the dunlops are not homologated for the rs6...I never think about it, I only bought !
    the dunlops are very fat....too FAT for the rs6 !!!!!!!!

here some pixs:

before I drove the pirelli rosso....only pirelli rosso, conti sport contact 2 and dunlop sp 9000 are made for the rs6...that sayed audi to me yesterday, after I stock my car there... :roll:
    mfg
    Daniel

RS6plus -- blue pack -- h&r suspension -- 20" rs6 c6 wheels -- fully loaded and wagner cooled !

Michelin PS2 as well.

Are you saying that you had 255/35-19 before and you didn't expirianced no problems, but with Dunlops, same size you had one...?

yes andy !

absolut the same size....but with dunlops is the tyre to faaaattt !!!!
    mfg
    Daniel

RS6plus -- blue pack -- h&r suspension -- 20" rs6 c6 wheels -- fully loaded and wagner cooled !

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    yes andy !

absolut the same size....but with dunlops is the tyre to faaaattt !!!!
    If somebody have told me this, I wouldn't believe...

Something new for me, really!

for me, too....a expensive experience !!!
    mfg
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    for me, too....a expensive experience !!!
    To bad really... I don't now what to say.

Put on some 5mm spacers and you'll be fine.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

yes but the tires are still to big for the 9x wheels...
    mfg
    Daniel

The DUNLOP sport maxx GT (R01) is good for the RS6 (C6). Mine had these tires from factory.
    Michalis

I think, c6 and c5 are different, but I can not say, if my tyres are the r01 !!!
    mfg
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by mdk View Post
    The DUNLOP sport maxx GT (R01) is good for the RS6 (C6). Mine had these tires from factory.
    Yes, but C6 is slightly bigger...

The problem might be that the PS2 tread depth is 9/32 and overall diameter is 26" and the Sport Maxx tread depth is 10/32 and overall diameter is 26.1" so that makes the Sport Maxx slightly taller than the PS2. This is a very small difference but every mm counts when you are talking clearance issues. I think that is 1.2mm and from looking at the pics if the tires were 1.2mm shorter you might clear the rubbing issue.

So guys, Unfortunately, I have no RS6, I have just A6C5......but I want to tell you that all of you are lucky......I'm from Moscow (Russia)...we have no good roads, thats why.....maximum size of the wheels, which I can use in my car is 17"......otherwise I should forget about the "upper control arms" ))))

Daniel, I had the same experience with PS2.

My car came from the factory (I think anyway...) with 255/35-19 Pilot Sport 2. I renewed the tyres in 2007 with a new set of PS2's in the same size, no problems. Then I renewed again in 2008, PS2 with same size: does not fit in the front!

It touches the strange hump in the front wheel suspension arm. We looked at this, and really there seems no reason strength-wise for this hump to exist, so I ok'd it, and the tyre shop guys shaved a few mm off that aluminium. Now the PS2's fit ok.

So this applies for:
    -stock 19" RS6 factory rims
    -255/35-19 Pilot Sport 2, Dunlop Sport Maxx ... and probably a lot of other tyres in this size as well

Dear Daniel.

if you want to use the Michelin PS2, you will have to use a Special PS2 that is produced for the RS6 (MKI). This one has a more narrow Flank on the inside, preventing rubbing on the control Arm.

Michelin Order No. 892888 255/35 R19 96Y XL

Sadely this special RS6 (MkI) version is running out and will not be in production any further. All other versions of the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 are not cleared for OE use.

Dunlop:

There is a special tire for the RS6 (MKI) as well. Dunlop Sport 9000 RS. The regular Sport 9000 and the Sport Maxx are not cleared for OE application.

No problems with the Continental Sport Contact 2 and Pirelli PZero Rosso.

Qisha

Hi Qisha. What is the model # or code for Contis for my 2003 rs6 avant? Any special reference? I am also looking at vredestein's. Whcih code or any special refernce I should use when getting one?

Dear alexo,

the Continental Sport Contact 2 is no longer in production as needed: 255/35 R19 96Y. You can choose the Sport Contact 3, 255/35 R19 96Y XL R01 (RS Spec).

The Sport Contact is a well balanced tire without a weakness, less noise, good lifetime. Same with the Pirelli.

I would not consider Vredestein.

Qisha