Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TT RS options

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    some of it is published in Sport Auto drive impression article in March 2009 issue.
    Now you confused me again In that article (hadn't read that part before) it says that the free (grrr) option 'sports suspension' increases the dynamic but without loosing comfort (no idea how that can be possible though, seems to defy the laws of physics). So the SS sounds like the better solution for the R8 and probably for the RS as well as it's free, faster and doesn't offer worse comfort than the MR.

Plus I remember that a common notice on other TT reviews was that the MR was rather similar in sports and normal mode, i.e. both settings were described as rather hard by many testers. Which makes the actual advantage of the MR even smaller if that's still the case with the RS.

So I guess I'm back at square one: what exactly do I get for the 1100 euros that I wont get with the SS?

Damn, I wish Audi would just hand out both versions to the press for an afternoon to help people decide on this.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post
    So I guess I'm back at square one: what exactly do I get for the 1100 euros that I wont get with the SS?
    You get more comfort for daily city driving. That is the point.

You get more comfort for daily city driving.
    But the increase in comfort is more a homeopathic dose than a different feeling if the sentences sport auto wrote are interpreted correctly (and applicable to the RS).

If that was the case I wouldn't shell out 1100 bucks for it, especially as it's free of charge on the TTS.

But the increase in comfort is more a homeopathic dose than a different feeling if the sentences sport auto wrote are interpreted correctly (and applicable to the RS).

If that was the case I wouldn't shell out 1100 bucks for it, especially as it's free of charge on the TTS.
    Just on TTS you could not get Sport Suspension.

Just on TTS you could not get Sport Suspension.
    But that shouldn't affect the price of the option in my opinion. If it's free if I'm paying 11k Euros less for a TT I expect it to stay free on higher priced models.

That's why I'm so anal about determining it's actual worth for the driving experience, as it just seems wrong to buy it for the full price.

Everyone is assuming that the software for the MagneticRide in the TT/RS is the exact same as in the TT/S. Maybe it is but then again maybe it isn't.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Everyone is assuming that the software for the MagneticRide in the TT/RS is the exact same as in the TT/S. Maybe it is but then again maybe it isn't.
    It's definitely not.

Hans.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

And the difference is?

Sport Suspension is as firm as Magnetic Ride in Sport mode.
    @Qisha or someone who drove it, can you confirm this?

This topic is discussed in other forums as well at the moment and as it seems the consensus of at least the german car magazines was that the MR works best in normal mode while sport mode is just a bit harder, but not essentially better.

So I'm actually wondering if the sport suspension might even offer a more balanced ride compared to the MR in sport mode?

I mean there has to be a reason why it was not only developed but also made standard even though MR already offers two modes.

Example-R8 equiped with MR is faster around Klein Kurs Hockenheim and Nordschleife in Sport mode. Audi has done the thing right with MR for R8 which is working as it should, unlike PASM on Porsche were 997 Turbo is faster around Klein Kurs Hockenheim and Nordschleife in standard(comfort) mode. Sport mode on PASM is simply said only good for flat surface.

Dear SigmaS6,

both suspensions, the regular RS- as well as AMR have bee re-engineered for use within the TTRS.

In Sport mode, the rebound and suspension rate matches the regular RS suspension. In normal mode the rebound is about 15% less, leading to a more "comfort" feedback.

Therefore the differencies in Sport mode versus regular suspension is marginal.

AMR is threated as a option, since the TTRS is seen to be a pure driving machine and the regular suspensions matches this characteristic best. AMR is only available for customers that are looking for a "comfort" daily drive with the option to be pure.

Based on AMR´s response characteristic it is in advance if it comes to compensation of unevenness of the road. This should be threated as a benefit if it comes to highspeed driving-, no "bumping" like within regular steel suspensions.

Last but not least it is up to the customer if- or not this "dual mode" feature is interesting. Price wise, yes.

The price is still acceptable if you consider the re-engineering for best overall performance. It is only based on the regular AMR but not equal to the TTS AMR.

Qisha

Qisha - that last sentance is a bit confusing. I thought I understood that the RS AMR was specifically re-engineered for the RS until you said :

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha
    It is only based on the regular AMR but not equal to the TTS AMR.
    So is the RS AMR based on standard MR and not the "Sport MR" from the TTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    In Sport mode, the rebound and suspension rate matches the regular RS suspension.
    But isn't the MR still on the sunny side of this comparison as it actively fights the rolling motion the body tries to execute in corners?

In normal mode the rebound is about 15% less, leading to a more "comfort" feedback.
    Is that more or less noticable than the difference between the two modes in the regular MR?

Therefore the differencies in Sport mode versus regular suspension is marginal.
    And the difference to the comfort mode? I.e. is the sport suspension a back breaker or are we talking about marginal comfort gains the MR can offer?

if it comes to highspeed driving-, no "bumping" like within regular steel suspensions.
    This includes both modes of the MR?

Last but not least it is up to the customer if- or not this "dual mode" feature is interesting.
    But it sounds to me that you'd recommend it anyway based on it's technology, regardless of the need for comfort?

The price is still acceptable if you consider the re-engineering for best overall performance. It is only based on the regular AMR but not equal to the TTS AMR.
    I wonder why the customer only gets this information if he reads threads like this. Shouldn't the PR-department be interested in explaining to the customer why it became all of a sudden a full price option? At least I'd been much calmer on this issue if I knew it was the customizing costs for the RS that I'm supposed to pay instead of the hardware that went free with every TTS.

I believe what Qisha is saying is that the MR in the TT/RS is based on the same MR as the normal TT and TT/S but tuned different to both the others and that it's performance in sport mode is similar to the stock suspension but with the added advantage of comfort when not wanting to push at 10/10th.

It is without doubt an option that will help re-sale when that time comes.

if i buy a TT RS I will not tkae that option for sure. now that I know its as good as the MR anyway.... and I don't think people will buy a TT RS to get confort but to get a sportscar...

Quote Originally Posted by youry View Post
    if i buy a TT RS I will not tkae that option for sure. now that I know its as good as the MR anyway
    That's not the way I understood Qisha, to me it sounded as if the MR was at least on par with the SS and in several situations even noticably better.

That's not the way I understood Qisha, to me it sounded as if the MR was at least on par with the SS and in several situations even noticably better.
    I think you have got it.

agreed but the real goal of the MR is to add confort rather than adding performance. that was my point. in addition I would most likely change the suspension by a KW V3 whihc wousl rsult in superior suspension (while removing some extra confort, but thta is not the goal for me) its looks and performance.