Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lease vs. Purchase

Try Carmax. They will buy your car for what you would get for trade in or a bit better.

Had a great experience with them selling my TT.

J
    ----
    Jordan Conley
    03 RS6
    01 TT Roadster
    95 A6Q 2.8
    [IMG]http://www.rs6.com/gfx/racing/001a.jpg[/IMG]

Originally posted by jconley
    Try Carmax. They will buy your car for what you would get for trade in or a bit better.

Had a great experience with them selling my TT.

J
    Unfortunately, the closest Carmax location to me is Baltimore/DC and I live in Massachusetts... I wonder if it would be worth driving down, selling, and flying back.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

One added bit of info...
    Here in NJ, the amount of a trade in is deducted from the purchase price of the new car when calculating sales tax. The $ I saved in tax made up for enough of the difference in price I would have gotten for my trade had I sold it personally.

My accountant here threw a bucket of ice cold water on leasing today. At least in my situation, it doesn't sound like even if it's 85+ % business use, that I can make financial sense of it, even though I would like the lower upfront cost. Something about taxable fringe benefit added to my W-2 , and that depending on fair market value of the car (RS6 = high value).

Is this such a bad deal because I'm having it leased by my company?? I would lease it personally, and then try to get reimbursed for the business portion of the expense, if I could. Is that what all you experts are talking about?

I never have leased, and would not have considered it if I hadn't been watching this thread. But I also don't need to get my clock cleaned in an audit.

It may depend on what type of business you are in. The field I am in it is common practice to write off up to 85% of the lease. I have had gotten this information from two seperate accountants and I have done it for numerous years with no problems. Maybe getting a second or third opinion may not be a bad idea as more information is better.

Bauer

01 S8
    92 S4
    03 RS6 orderd

Originally posted by Bauer
    It may depend on what type of business you are in. The field I am in it is common practice to write off up to 85% of the lease. I have had gotten this information from two seperate accountants and I have done it for numerous years with no problems. Maybe getting a second or third opinion may not be a bad idea as more information is better.
    Agreed. I am not an accountant, and my adive would be ultimately to trust an accountant, but do get more than one opinion.

j
    ----
    Jordan Conley
    03 RS6
    01 TT Roadster
    95 A6Q 2.8
    [IMG]http://www.rs6.com/gfx/racing/001a.jpg[/IMG]