Thread: ULW Audi S5 prototyp.

ULW Audi S5 prototyp.

Stadler zur Leichtgewicht-Philsophie von Audi
    Stadler will weniger Gewicht

Rupert Stadler setzt auf Verbrauchsreduzierung durch weniger Gewicht. Einen um 400 Kilogramm erleichterten Prototypen des Audi S5 mit 2.0 TSI-Motor und 265 PS gibt es schon

Bei der Reduktion von Verbrauch und Co2-Ausstoß setzt Audi nicht nur auf sparsamere Motoren. Wie Vorstandschef Rupert Stadler zu Beginn des Automobil Salons in Genf im Interview mit der Auto Zeitung berichtete, soll konsequenter Leichtbau zusätzliches Potential schaffen.
    „Wir haben den Prototypen eines S5 fertig, der rund 400 Kilogramm weniger wiegt, als das aktuelle Serienmodell“, erklärte Stadler.

Dazu wurden bei Fahrwerk und Karosserie konsequent hochfeste Stähle und Aluminium aber nur wenig Karbon eingesetzt. Stadler: „Vorgabe war, dass das neue Auto nicht teurer wird als der aktuelle S5.“

Beim Motor wurde der Achtzylinder mit 365 PS durch das 2.0 TFSI-Triebwerk aus dem Audi S3 ersetzt, das 265 PS leistet. Mit dem Motor erreicht der Prototyp die gleichen Beschleunigungswerte, wie das 100 PS stärkere Serienmodell.

Die exakten Verbrauchswerte wurden noch nicht ermittelt, liegen aber deutlich unter den Werten des Serien-S5.
    Stadler: "Jetzt müssen wir testen, ob unsere Kunden auch in dieser Fahrzeugklasse ein kleineres Triebwerk akzeptieren.“ Optisch sollen sich beide Modelle kaum voneinander unterscheiden.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

english or spanish plz
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

sounds good. but why no 2.0 TFSI pumped out 300hp??? 265 hp is much tooooooo less. the lightweight is a good thing, but with that drasticly reduced power it will be no more fun. atleast it have lightweight and good power (nearly same output that the current S5) then it will be perfect. (iam sure they can take more hp out of the 2.0TFSI). also if audi will do this thing. then it will be lighter then the RS models. and that is totally wrong !!!. RS models should be the lightest models!!!
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

Dear Friends,

in short english terms:

in order to fulfil future Co2 regulations the Audi top management has given a research assignment regarding a lightweight Audi S5. The prototype is ready by now. To achieve a reduced weight the, V8 has been replaced by the 2.0 TFSI engine (as known in the Audi S3 265HP, 350NM). Combined with a different material mix, weight is reduced by 400KG. All in total the performance specs are matching the actual S5 V8 numbers. Co2 output and fuel consumption do not have public meassurement status yet-, of course they are reduced more than significant. Now it is up to the customers if- or not they are willing to accept a engine downsize within this class.

Qisha

If this does indeed happen (which I hope will) then I think you will see the new 2.5TFSi making it into Audi's RS4 and RS5 of the future.

To hear that magical sound in more Audis would be a wonderful thing.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Audi, give us a 340Hp 1250kg RS5

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    If this does indeed happen (which I hope will) then I think you will see the new 2.5TFSi making it into Audi's RS4 and RS5 of the future.

To hear that magical sound in more Audis would be a wonderful thing.
    Would this mean packaging the next gen A4/5 with transverse engine - I hope not as it implies Haldex with big front torque bias. The R5 is surely too long for A4/5 compact dimesnions

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Would this mean packaging the next gen A4/5 with transverse engine - I hope not as it implies Haldex with big front torque bias. The R5 is surely too long for A4/5 compact dimesnions
    No I think the engine wouldn't be mounted transversally at all or have Haldex, it's just that for Audi to consider such a dramatic step in engine size for it's S model would mean a similar dramatic step for their RS model as well. The next emission requirement in 2015 (I think) will call for some 'out of the box' solutions.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    No I think the engine wouldn't be mounted transversally at all or have Haldex, it's just that for Audi to consider such a dramatic step in engine size for it's S model would mean a similar dramatic step for their RS model as well. The next emission requirement in 2015 (I think) will call for some 'out of the box' solutions.
    Indeed - manufaturer average 130g/km CO2 or stiff penalties.

Light weight, lower power is good for nimble feel but not so good for acceleration at high speed where drag is more important than weight...

Sound very good

Not that i don't like the V8 "grouwl" (i love it actually ), BUT we have to find solutios that enable us to drive performance Audis in the future and obey the ecological circumstances.

A Prius is not really that appealing to me
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

in short english terms:

in order to fulfil future Co2 regulations the Audi top management has given a research assignment regarding a lightweight Audi S5. The prototype is ready by now. To achieve a reduced weight the, V8 has been replaced by the 2.0 TFSI engine (as known in the Audi S3 265HP, 350NM). Combined with a different material mix, weight is reduced by 400KG. All in total the performance specs are matching the actual S5 V8 numbers. Co2 output and fuel consumption do not have public meassurement status yet-, of course they are reduced more than significant. Now it is up to the customers if- or not they are willing to accept a engine downsize within this class.

Qisha
    This is huge news!
    Will it use S-tronic? I'm starting to come round to the idea that 'light is right' and 400kg weight reduction is absolutly mammoth.
    Do you have any idea if this is likely to happen and when to expect it (and price?...smaller engine = less £ but lighter weight materials = more £)

Thanks in advance...I'd be very interested in such a model.
    Truth In The Blacklist

I might be the only one out there but I'm not excited at all... are Mercs and BMW doing the same with their engines?! C63 returning to C230 or M3 with a 4 cylinders? Migth be wrong but I doubt that.

Yes, they can do all the weight saving they want I'm ok with that but reducing the engine size & power is out of the equation for me. Well it's fine for the A series but not in RS range.

I know the R5 2.5L will be great in the TT but that's exactly where it should stay in a two seater not in bigger sedans or wagons.

If I want a cart I know where to find one... For me it sounds like Mitsubichi EVO or Subaru STI... small & powerful engine with no confort (or the minimum you can have) to acheive great performance numbers. Most people can tune a STI to 400-500 hp but that's not the only thing Audi's buyers are looking for otherwise I would have spared about 60k buying an STI.

So if this is where Audi's going with all that I might be better considering other alternatives (and I won't be alone I'm pretty sure!)

Let's bring the 4.0L TFSI and maybe that idea of shuting down unecessary cylinders when cruising... You cut the emissions and you still get the power & SOUND of the V8 not the peasky sound of a tuned Acura...

Dear Friends,

we are talking about the "S" series. The "RS" series will remain untouched at the top of the line up. In which form ever...

I would assume more public information on this with a A5 facelift.

Qisha

Everyone, it's only a prototype at the moment.

I think this is a very interesting experiment, downsizing is perhaps the future?

I'm sure I'd prefer to drive a "CSL/Cup-style" S5 with an S3 engine (I didn't hear anyone complain about it) to a hybrid or an electrical car...

I think Ferrari is going the same way, and it can't be a bad thing can it?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

at first...

1: its the transversal engine from the S3 in the S5???

2: i hope that the power will be much more, equal to the 3.0 TFSI. (265hp are stupidy less)

3: then they must make the RS models lighter than the S models (if the new S models will be 400kg lighter) so a RS5 must be light or lighter than that. beccause RS models should be the top of the range. and if the RS models will be heavier, that would be so stupid and silly from audi. they would shoot themself then.

4: also lightweight sounds very good. but they have to take the power up to the competitors. it will make much more sense to take this lightweight into a more hardcore RS model range like i said in my thread. a RS5 clubsport, that will work very well with the lightweight, A DREAM!!! not for S models thats crap!!!
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

we are talking about the "S" series. The "RS" series will remain untouched at the top of the line up. In which form ever...

I would assume more public information on this with a A5 facelift.

Qisha
    Qisha,when will be a5 facelift? 2010 or 2011?