Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TT RS German Press info

Quote Originally Posted by The RS6 View Post
    They most certianly don't want (chipped) TT RS's with broken gearboxes all around the world...
    I don't think that's how it works Audi doesn't engineer it's parts for the needs of 3rd party tuners and waits till they finished messing with their ECU...

What I find a bit confusing is that Audi doesn't seem to see the necessity to comment on it's manual-only policy, as there seems to be quite a demand for the missing option.

If they can't communicate the reason for dropping the DSG or not having it ready after that lengthy timespan of testing I could imagine that some buyers will turn away from the TT-RS as they feel they can't get what they want.

Al i know it will not fit in relation with the longer inline 5 engine.
    Audi worked miracle's to get that inline five under the bonnet with quattro Haldex and manual gearbox.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

man thats crap. i hoped we see a DSG. i believe audi can do it and develpment a new stronger DSG which can fit in the TT-RS. man they must do this!!! dont be so stupid audi, please
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

If that's the case and there will never be a TT-RS with a DSG they should tell that to the customers. Currently I'm under the impression they could offer it but don't see a market for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post
    If that's the case and there will never be a TT-RS with a DSG they should tell that to the customers. Currently I'm under the impression they could offer it but don't see a market for it.
    Audi never stated that, so why do you have that impression?

Quote Originally Posted by trick View Post
    Audi never stated that, so why do you have that impression?
    They never stated the opposite either, so I guess it depends on the perception you have of the Audi officials and the marketing department.

They didnt state that you couldn't put 17" wheels on the RS either. [/devils advocate]

My perception : assume nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by trick View Post
    They didnt state that you couldn't put 17" wheels on the RS either. [/devils advocate]

My perception : assume nothing.
    Well actually they did say,
    die Sporttaste sowie die 18-Zoll-Hochleistungsbremsanlage
    in English that means 18" braking system and the last time I tried I couldn't get 17" alloys on an 18" braking system.

The reason for no words about the S/Tronic is because it's not available as of yet.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    The reason for no words about the S/Tronic is because it's not available as of yet.
    But I get the impression that people are splitting into two camps on this matter, one that believes it will be offered just a bit later and one that believes that it's impossible to fit it in, i.e. it will never be an option.

Would be nice if Audi would say some words about this in Geneva.

What's the max torque that the 7-speed DSG can handle, wasn't it 450nm? If so, that's what this 2.5 turbo puts out, so guessing the reason why there isn't an S-tronic.

There are two 7-speed DSGs, one is the DQ200 which can only handle 250NM (designed for the lower Golf models) and the not introduced yet DQ500, which is said to handle up to 550NM.

The 6-speed DSG DQ250 is afaik specified to handle 350NM, exactly what the TTS puts out.

Ah yes, I think I misread something or read some bad information.... yes, the 7-speed DSG in the new S4 can handle up to 550nm (406 lb-ft) so theoretically it could have been used in the TT-RS.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaS6 View Post
    There are two 7-speed DSGs, one is the DQ200 which can only handle 250NM (designed for the lower Golf models) and the not introduced yet DQ500, which is said to handle up to 550NM.

The 6-speed DSG DQ250 is afaik specified to handle 350NM, exactly what the TTS puts out.
    The DQ 200 box is FWD only.
    The DQ500 is in fact the DL500 for the S4 and Co.

Jarod.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Ah yes, I think I misread something or read some bad information.... yes, the 7-speed DSG in the new S4 can handle up to 550nm (406 lb-ft) so theoretically it could have been used in the TT-RS.
    S Tronic in S4(and several models like A4,A5 and Q5) is designed ONLY for AWD layout with longitudinal engine layout.

Basically Audi has to design new special S-Tronic model for TT-RS
    And it takes time

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    And it takes time
    But they started with the TT-RS development way more than a year ago. Why would the gear box take much more time than the engine or the rest of the car?

I agree that it doesn't make much sense to start developing it from scratch after the RS was released though, as it will be out too late given the life time of the Mark II.

Dear Friends,

the point is not "why cant it be done"-, of course there is a way to fit a S-tronic in a transverse engine layout, even with the inline five. BUT the matter is, the TTRS quote is limited and the only Audi model to share the cost for re-enginering would be the A3. Since there is no need for a even more solid S-tronic within the A3 range, the cost of development is down to the TTRS only-, hard to justify. It is not for certain that the TT successor will keep the transversal layout...

As long as a possible RS3- and/or a demand within the VW model range will be cleared for joint venture, manual only... it was a hard time pushing the TTRS through.

By the way, drive that little car, let the emotions work and i guess you might forget a need for S-tronic.

Qisha

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    By the way, drive that little car, let the emotions work and i guess you might forget a need for S-tronic.

Qisha
    Now you sound like a marketing manager!