Thread: Old DRC vs New DRC

Old DRC vs New DRC

Hi all

Don't tell me search is my friend - I've been through the whole DRC horror with the previous RS6, (fixed), now sold, and new one on order. Been for a test drive and truly amazing. But, it still niggles that the DRC issue is surfacing on RS4s, and some one said it is slower to become apparent there as they are lighter. Please, can some one tell me whether the new RS6 Avant DRC is different to the former one. Yes, I know that that the new one has three different settings (more to go wrong?). Has Audi changed anything? Wasn't it some allergy in the metals that caused the problem? It is still being promoted as truly wonderful in the promotional material here (like, "flat around the corners"). It is a waste of time asking the salesman, so please, if anyone knows anything, please let me know.

the new rs6 is simply too new for anybody to be popping up with DRC problems, however, the fact that the gen 2 RS4 DRCs are known to be problematic doesn't lend a lot of confidence to the gen 3 DRC on the new RS6, just my 2 cents.

I was flat out surprised that Audi chose to stay with th DRC system in the B6 RS6. Bad move I think. If it really works and is reliable then they should consider upgrading the old system with this new technology or at least stepping up and admitting there is a problem. I've not been tracking the RS4 DRC issue at all. How many RS4's were sold wordwide?

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/44145.phtml

We should all share the love.

DRC is a piece of crap. DRC=POC

New or old. It makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    I was flat out surprised that Audi chose to stay with th DRC system in the B6 RS6. Bad move I think. If it really works and is reliable then they should consider upgrading the old system with this new technology or at least stepping up and admitting there is a problem. I've not been tracking the RS4 DRC issue at all. How many RS4's were sold wordwide?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    DRC is a piece of crap. DRC=POC

New or old. It makes no difference.
    I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, otherwise it would be all over my keyboard and screen now.

DRC on C6 RS6 is different to RS4 and different to C5 RS6. As DWD said is the 3rd generation.
    Mine (C6 RS6) is too early for any signs BUT ... I have been reading out loud all DHall1 DRC-attacks and got scared (the DRC not me) . I expect it won't give up on me.

If I face any probs I will let you know!
    Michalis

Hi all

Thanks for all this - but I am still confused as to has Audi fixed the DRC for the new RS6 Avant? Yes, the new RS6 is kind of new, but that is no comfort if the DRC is the same old DRC on the previous RS6 Avant and the RS4 and the new RS6 has simply not been driven enough kms by anyone for the same old problems to show up. Please, can anyone tell me has Audi fixed the issue on the new RS6 Avant or is it the same old system that seems remarkably simple yet can go so wrong and Audi will not acknowledge it and the dealers cannot recognize it nor fix it (yikes, do I really need to trot into the dealership with the "how to fix the DRC" downloaded from this forum?) and this new RS6 Avant costs a lot of money and really, I don't feel like going through this whole DRC issue again. I can fully sympathise with those who will never buy another Audi again over this issue, but the new RS6 Avant is really, really good so I am buying it. Thanks for bearing with me on this issue but if someone can tell me that Audi have fixed the DRC that would be great.

sallyh as far as I know from a little research I did is that the old DRC cylinder was on the top of the shock, connected in one line and keeping oil tight with the aid of seals.
    The DRC cylinder on the new RS6 (C6) is attached to the side of the shock, not in line but connected via oil lines.
    I can make a photo of the new one if you wish. Someone else of the old one.
    Michalis

Sallyh,

Dont get me wrong. I love the C5/RS6. Given its day of release, it too was a very expensive car. Fast forward a couple of years and does Audi care or give a crap about the owners. NO Has this changed over the years? NO Go and talk to any RS4 owner and they will tell the same story.

Audi Certified PreOwned does not even cover the DRC. That should tell you something. Its funny, in all the preproduction packets and literature and every road test of the C5 RS6....what do you read? DRC this, DRC that, DRC does this, DRC does that. Well, it was touted as the second coming of suspension designs. Again, fast forward a couple of years and you have a Trojan horse.

DRC=POC

Now, for some of us that have the extended warranties. We can turn around and put the screws back to the folks that attempt to screw us. So, until 2014 and 100k miles I can put the screws back to these folks and just enjoy the car.

If you know what your getting into and have a plan. I say go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by sallyh View Post
    Hi all

Thanks for all this - but I am still confused as to has Audi fixed the DRC for the new RS6 Avant? Yes, the new RS6 is kind of new, but that is no comfort if the DRC is the same old DRC on the previous RS6 Avant and the RS4 and the new RS6 has simply not been driven enough kms by anyone for the same old problems to show up. Please, can anyone tell me has Audi fixed the issue on the new RS6 Avant or is it the same old system that seems remarkably simple yet can go so wrong and Audi will not acknowledge it and the dealers cannot recognize it nor fix it (yikes, do I really need to trot into the dealership with the "how to fix the DRC" downloaded from this forum?) and this new RS6 Avant costs a lot of money and really, I don't feel like going through this whole DRC issue again. I can fully sympathise with those who will never buy another Audi again over this issue, but the new RS6 Avant is really, really good so I am buying it. Thanks for bearing with me on this issue but if someone can tell me that Audi have fixed the DRC that would be great.

DRC conceptually and functionally is sound. It's the implementation of the idea and design that was poor.

It was first designed and built with the apparent attititude that it would never fail unless the car was in an accident. They did not build in any monitoring system to check the pressure, nor design it to be serviced at the dealership, I.E. be able to repressurize in a standard shop, not replace the main components.

I am interested in knowing just where the leaks have occured on the RS4's. If it was the same seal issue, that is simply (filling your own f word) lazy engineering. If something new has leaked, again poor engineering.

Now the version three is adjustable! How is that done? Valving? Some kind of Pump to change the pressure? Anyone know?

If they wish to presist with this DRC concept, then I would agree making all the RS6's old and new Whole Again would make long term BRAND sense. Otherwise Audi can expect another Unexplained Acceloration Disaster.

Mike

From the looks and sounds of it. The RS4 leaks are from the shocks at the same seal point. Click on the Audiworld class action thread I have provided above. There is a nice pic of a RS4 shock.

Insert F word here. ________ idiots.

The C6 RS6 may have electronic shocks to change valving inside the shock. Its not rocket science here. Our LX470 suv has a similar oil suspension system that can change shock stiffness at the flip of a switch.

Brand sense and Audi dont go in the same sentence together. However, Audi sales were up 19% in Dec. Go figure. Also of note, reading in the WSJ last week. The Euro car makers are gearing up to have increased market share in the US. VW and BMW were mentioned. Plan to make more cars here in the US....I donno about that. We shall see if the quality fit and finish is retained.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

Quote....

I am interested in knowing just where the leaks have occured on the RS4's. If it was the same seal issue, that is simply (filling your own f word) lazy engineering. If something new has leaked, again poor engineering.

Now the version three is adjustable! How is that done? Valving? Some kind of Pump to change the pressure? Anyone know?

If they wish to presist with this DRC concept, then I would agree making all the RS6's old and new Whole Again would make long term BRAND sense. Otherwise Audi can expect another Unexplained Acceloration Disaster.

Mike[/quote]

Sorry, I meant C5 and C6 RS6, Not B5 and B6. Yeah DRC is a POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    I've heard that there is an adjustable valve in the top of the damper that can be opened or closed to alter the oil flow rate. This might make sense with mdk saying there is an attachment outside the damper body - this might be the driver for the valve?

As for reliability, I drive 40+ miles each way commute each day, I'm not exactly delicate and the roads have plenty of 'texture' and hard crests/dips. 15,000 miles (and 1st AVS service!) in and no sign of any problem so far.

+=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

great pic

Hi all

Thanks for all this - so, some change had been made to the DRC for the latest RS6 Avant. Great, I'll keep the order on a wing and prayer and the strength of a test drive and the love of the car and the gaping absence on the sale of the previous one. I agree that the whole concept of "adjustable", that is "comfort", "dynamic", "sport", is enough to scare the living wits out of anyone with any experience of DRC failure. But, I do have a plan, having been through the whole DRC thing before, the three year warranty should stand me in good stead the very minute I sense anything feel odd. The trouble the first time around was complete ignorance that a car company could create such a great car and treat its customers so shoddily, or at the very least be guilty of benign denial that any problem existed. I think at the heart of it is the fact that people get their DRC fixed, and it goes wrong again. This should not happen, and if it is because Audi don't train their guys to fix it correctly, this should change, but if it is because it is inherently unfixable in a permanently reliable way, then Audi should stop putting it on their cars.

audi recognition of drc "challenges"

Audi's response to C5 owners DRC "challenges" over the last 5 years remind me of the person who:
    "denied the facts staring him in the face and thought that "denial" was a river in Eygpt!"

Oops! I replaced the pic and didn't realise Flickr munged the URL. Can a mod replace with this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/...c5db025af4.jpg
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport