Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autocar road test R8 V10

Autocar road test R8 V10

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...10-FSI/241153/

Very nice overall, but I expected more than "only" 4 stars. How come they seem to think that the extra money over the V8 is not as well spent?

The numbers in the data are pretty shitty.

Well, they loved it in the first drive video on youtube. funny how that works.

Autocar numbers were slower than the Evo numbers, which is very unusual. Normally the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    Autocar numbers were slower than the Evo numbers, which is very unusual. Normally the other way round.
    I'm unsure about this but I feel all times should be conducted at the Milbrook proving grounds, that way track surface variations can be removed and only drive skill and weather are to differences between mag results.

Though I am in agreement, Autocar usually do out-perform EVO in acceleration times. Might have been an under the weather example of the R8v10.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Interesting thing is that most serious German magazines(AMS and Sport Auto) likes R8 5.2 FSI more then R8 4.2 FSI and they claim that V10 is better and more focused drivers car. I fully agree after short test drive in R8 V10 last week.

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Interesting thing is that most serious German magazines(AMS and Sport Auto) likes R8 5.2 FSI more then R8 4.2 FSI and they claim that V10 is better and more focused drivers car. I fully agree after short test drive in R8 V10 last week.
    Your opinion has changed since driving it then because I remember you reservations that the extra weight of the engine would have effected it's handling for the worse. Great news to hear Audi have exceeded your expectations.

crappy data.

re: criticism of its price. i don't know what the price spread is over there, but i don't think it should cost more than 15% over an equally equipped V8. if it had the full 556 hp then maybe 20%. you could also say i am saying the LP560 is waaaaaaaaay overpriced.

also--- though i agree it is far from outdated, seeing the S5 MMI system and graphics in person reminds me that the next R8 is still over 4 years away. and that'll be a looong time for this one to carry on- even with the recently updated nav system.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

(uhh, earth to everyone, the extra money for the V10 is NOT well spent)

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroFun View Post
    How come they seem to think that the extra money over the V8 is not as well spent?
    Maybe, because the R8 V8 is such a great car, and it is - BUT the V10 is worth EVERY penny more.

You will not find such "civilized" (if desired) sportscar, whit that performace just waiting to be let loose, only to return to the "normal" orbit, after having been to driving heaven.

A little bit "poetic" - i know, but the R8 V10 is the most desireable car for me, especially after i had the chance to drive one for a week.

If you have the extra cash - always - i repeat - always go for the V10.
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Maybe, because the R8 V8 is such a great car, and it is - BUT the V10 is worth EVERY penny more.

You will not find such "civilized" (if desired) sportscar, whit that performace just waiting to be let loose, only to return to the "normal" orbit, after having been to driving heaven.

A little bit "poetic" - i know, but the R8 V10 is the most desireable car for me, especially after i had the chance to drive one for a week.

If you have the extra cash - always - i repeat - always go for the V10.
    agreed about the extra cash thing.
    but sometimes the extra cash is a matter of personal subjectivism. you may have the money, but can you justify it?

since i do not own an emirate or a piece of expensive desert that can justify my silver plating the clutch in my cars i have to apply my head to moving up to the V10. granted, the US pricing has not come out. but if they ask me to pay a dear 40% more they can stick it. if they ask me to pay 15% more then perhaps i'll do it. in reality, even in my neck of the woods where every trip incorporates highway miles and some twistsies, the chance of me seeing the extra horses a significant amount of time is minimal. if i went to sebring twice a month it'd be a different story. and so, i am compelled to keep a V8 if the numbers don't make sense.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Oh, the printed mag version of the very same test in fact gives the R8 V10 4.5 stars out of 5 and ranks the car 1st in the relevant peer group ahead of 911 Turbo and Lambo LP560-4. That is more like it, although they still just like latest Evo claim that the extra weight blunts the car's handling vs. the V8.

As regards the price, I really think its a bargain on all accounts in the UK in particular with the pound where it is and given the standard equipment. However, I think that you have to separate the decision regarding should you trade up if you already have a nearly new V8 from the completely different decision that would you buy one over the V8 if you were in the market for a new R8 anyway.

I know I would buy the V10 for sure if I was into a brand new R8. However, if I would already have a R8 V8 and would be happy with it (which I am sure I would be), I would not personally sell a 1-year old V8 at 30-35% loss just to get the newest and baddest V10 toy around, but very much respect those that can and will do it.

good point QuattroFun re: the new buyer vs trade-up buyer. absolutely, if it is only 10-15% more the V10 is a no brainer (and why the roadster will not have a V8 option and why the V8 will be phased out in the coming year). however, for current V8 owners, losing 35% on your current car tallies up the bill at ~40% more than the current car!!!!!! is it that much better? 15% yes. but it is not 40% better.

there you have it.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

strange test
    the data is sluggish
    I gope it will be really better in life

Since we have pretty bad test date in this IMO totally irelevant Autocar test here are numbers from few German tests...

AMS

0-100km/h: 3.9s
    0-200km/h:12.3s

Auto Bild

0-100km/h: 3.7s
    0-200km/h:12.1s

Sport Auto

0-100km/h: 4.0s
    0-200km/h:12.9s

Note that recently ALL cars are the slowest in Sport Auto acceleration tests.

And to add EVO numbers:

0-60mph: 3.9s
    0-100mph: 8.4s
    0-120mph:11.7s

11.7s @ 120mph would roughly meant about 12.4s @ 200km/h.

Anyway, the R8 is about much more than pure figures, it's probably the best supercar made, combining all the abilities of the best but with none of their drawbacks.

The r8 v10 is definitly a great car.

But the new 911 turbo facelift is in his way.

500 hp, 0-100 in 3,5 secs and Pdk.

We will see how r8 v10 will compete against the new 911 turbo.

And not to forget the new 911 turbo s with aprox 530 hp and 3,4 sec to 100kmh.

I think this 2 cars will show us clearly how god the r8 v10 really is. If porsche can improve the 911 turbo facelift like the gt3, it could be a really hard battle for the r8

In US the car will be most definitely over $160k.
    Sorry but for that money I'd rather have a slightly used Lp560...
    S63TT