Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warranty Issues

Warranty Issues

So ...

About 3 weeks ago, my service notification comes up.
    A couple days before I had scheduled to bring it in (for a loaner), the check engine light comes on.

I bring it in, tell them pertinent info, have them do the scheduled service (basically just lube/filter~) and run the code.

Turns out, the torque converter is going bad. And the trans output seal is bad. Ok, CPO warranty covered, no issue.

In taking the car apart, a tech notices the DRC is shot ... air in the system. Full system replacement needed, not CPO warranty covered, $6900. I tell them to eat it, they replaced the front right last October under the original warranty, if it's bad now, it's their fault, it should be covered. They come back after a few days, nope, cant cover it, front right last October was due to a control arm failure, not air in the system. I say air is in the system because the work was bad. Back and forth, they're not budging. I tell them no way in hell I'm paying nearly $7k (knowing full well i can do Bilsteins for $1500~), so just button the suspension up when you're ready to deliver the car back to me after the covered work (transmission).

That was 2 weeks ago.
    They still have my car.
    They called today and say they'll update me again.
    The last 3 updates are, "just stay w/ the loaner, we still have your car" ... wow, really? you still have it? i didnt notice.

Anyway, I digress.

The reason I'm writing is ... well, does anyone have any good advice for this situation? Do I have any recourse? Can I take the issue up to any Audi of America level or something similar, or am I really just screwed this badly?

Is this not the worst service anyone has ever heard of and/or received? I will certainly never go back to this dealership again, but I'm also contemplating on getting rid of the Beast and staying away from Audi entirely. And that's sad, having owned 3, up until this point, perfectly fantastic Audi vehicles.

Well I got the same answer on the DRC so its true Audi is not fixing it under CPO period. I think you are stuck there if you hadn't had the previous work done...however since they did replace one shock I think you may have a very valid point with them, I think the tech books tell them they MUST replace the central valves when they replace any of the shocks. I have been told that numerous times so they did not really properly fix the system the first time....also they need to tell you how air got in the system, not really possible i would think...the fluid leaks out but i don't think its replaced by air coming in. So I do think you should go to the next level above the dealer on that issue to a regional rep.

When my torque converter went it took 3 to 4 weeks to replace it. Its a long job to take the car apart completely and none of the replacement parts are in the US. My service people at the time said it took 10 days just to get the parts from Germany. So i think the amount of time they are taking should not be a concern. I had the transmission go later and that took just as long and it was a 14 day wait to get the parts from ZF/Audi Germany.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Where do you live? Which dealer is this at?

DRC/ Huge issue. The dealer should have fixed the car right last october. You cannot just replace 1 shock. period. If the dealer replaced 1 shock only, that is how the air got in the system. Ask the dealer how they know the system has air in it? Are the struts leaking? If so, which ones.

Do the research on the DRC and get the above questions answered. Then....go and tell the dealer to pull up all the service bulletins on the DRC that tell the dealer to replace everything on that circuit. Ie RF/LR and control valve all must be replaced if the system is opened for any reason. You then have them by the b$lls.

How many miles on this car? I would not let something like this make me sell the car. Just put on the coilovers and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by excellente View Post
    So ...

A couple days before I had scheduled to bring it in (for a loaner), the check engine light comes on.

I bring it in, tell them pertinent info, have them do the scheduled service (basically just lube/filter~) and run the code.

Turns out, the torque converter is going bad. And the trans output seal is bad. Ok, CPO warranty covered, no issue.

In taking the car apart, a tech notices the DRC is shot ... air in the system. Full system replacement needed, not CPO warranty covered, $6900. I tell them to eat it, they replaced the front right last October under the original warranty, if it's bad now, it's their fault, it should be covered. They come back after a few days, nope, cant cover it, front right last October was due to a control arm failure, not air in the system. I say air is in the system because the work was bad. Back and forth, they're not budging. I tell them no way in hell I'm paying nearly $7k (knowing full well i can do Bilsteins for $1500~), so just button the suspension up when you're ready to deliver the car back to me after the covered work (transmission).

That was 2 weeks ago.
    They still have my car.
    The last 3 updates are, "just stay w/ the loaner, we still have your car" ... wow, really? you still have it? i didnt notice.

Anyway, I digress.

The reason I'm writing is ... well, does anyone have any good advice for this situation? Do I have any recourse? Can I take the issue up to any Audi of America level or something similar, or am I really just screwed this badly?

Is this not the worst service anyone has ever heard of and/or received? I will certainly never go back to this dealership again, but I'm also contemplating on getting rid of the Beast and staying away from Audi entirely. And that's sad, having owned 3, up until this point, perfectly fantastic Audi vehicles.

So ...

Call 866.892.2834.
    This is AoA's special number for RS/8-series owners. Explain your situation and concerns. I'm sure the problem will dissappear rapidly.

FWIF, I agree that they should have replaced the central valves and all four struts when the DRC went bad the first time. I went through this with mine a while back, and the dealer said that replacing the entire system is the standard of care when the DRC goes bad. It took a little wrangling and some phone call to the above number to get the required documentation to pass on to the aftermarket insurer, though. No way would I pay $6k+ out of pocket to replace the DRC when great alternatives are out there at a better price (KW V3, Bilsteins, etc).

Would anybody have a copy of this special documentation for the DRC service? I think we should all carry a copy around in the glove box.

Could someone host a scan of the document and put it up as a sticky?

hint, hint

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercat View Post
    Call 866.892.2834.
    This is AoA's special number for RS/8-series owners. Explain your situation and concerns. I'm sure the problem will dissappear rapidly.

FWIF, I agree that they should have replaced the central valves and all four struts when the DRC went bad the first time. I went through this with mine a while back, and the dealer said that replacing the entire system is the standard of care when the DRC goes bad. It took a little wrangling and some phone call to the above number to get the required documentation to pass on to the aftermarket insurer, though. No way would I pay $6k+ out of pocket to replace the DRC when great alternatives are out there at a better price (KW V3, Bilsteins, etc).

I'll contact my service manager and see if he still has it.

AoA won't cover DRC, you might have a little bit of luck if you are still under the original warranty but if you're in CPO or out of warranty, they simply won't. Ultimately, I just bit the bullet and went with an aftermarket solution because your DRC will most likely fail again even if Audi covers it this time.

Also, even though the DRC is a cross-linked designed, there is _no_ Audi technical bulletin which states that DRC must be replaced in pairs. This was another problem I had when my car was in the shop.

Actually, the DRC shocks dont need to be replaced in pairs, if one is faulty and the other is fine, the only thing that needs replacing is the faulty shock and the system must be bled and recharged with a new central valve for that pair. The CV must be replaced and it is in writing in the RS6 self study users guide.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    When my torque converter went it took 3 to 4 weeks to replace it. I had the transmission go later and that took just as long and it was a 14 day wait to get the parts from ZF/Audi Germany.

How much the torque converter and the transmission cost you???
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

I think we need some additional answers from "Excellente". Maybe some answers to the questions I posed above. Then armed with the rest of the story we can conclude a solution.

I dont like it when folks get quick to the draw about calling other folks the worst people/service on the planet without first gathering all the information and attempting to solve the problem rationally. I am in the service business myself and pride my work on the best service possible. But, we all have to pay for some things from time to time. Sorry, extended warranties dont cover everything. Health insurance does not cover everything. Just the way it is.

Let me pose a situation here. Lets say this car in question has 1 leaking strut. Ok, Audi Certified warranty does cover the central valve. Pay for the strut and get the central valve replaced by warranty and be on with it. Am I all wet here??????

I have also sent "Excellente" a PM to pitch in on the thread he started or we are all wasting time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hy Octane View Post
    Actually, the DRC shocks dont need to be replaced in pairs, if one is faulty and the other is fine, the only thing that needs replacing is the faulty shock and the system must be bled and recharged with a new central valve for that pair. The CV must be replaced and it is in writing in the RS6 self study users guide.

well, the ugly beast of the DRC has reared its head several times. Paul (Hy Octane) has replaced his a handful of times. Mine has blown up on me as well. The number of people who had DRC problems are extensive even here on our boards. Frankly, I think Dave hit the nail right on the head and which is why I ultimately went and just paid out of my own pocket to replace the entire DRC system with KW V3.

When my torque converter went it took 3 to 4 weeks to replace it. Its a long job to take the car apart completely and none of the replacement parts are in the US.
    When my torque converter was diagnosed as shot, my dealer scheduled me to bring the car in early in the week, expecting to have it completed within the end of the week. Sure enuf, it was done after 3 days.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Print this and take it into the "Service monkey".

http://www.titsup-racing.com/RS6_Training_Manual.pdf

Clearly, shows that if a damper (shock/strut) is replaced....the central valve must be replaced to ensure operating pressure levels. Further, if the car is lowered on the ground without operating pressure levels fully restored.....you will ruin the dampers (shock/strut) on that particular circuit.

Does all of this sound familiar to your situation? It should. No wonder you have "air" in the system.

Dealer ruined the circuit if he/she did not repressure the system before lowering the car to the ground. At the very least, the dealer should replace 2 struts and a central valve at no cost to you. Period

If this is all the case and the dealer will not budge. Please post the name of the dealer so that we can all avoid that particular group of monkey wrenches.

So ...

That was 2 weeks ago.
    They still have my car.

Anyway, I digress.

You may want to read your aftermarket warranty carefully. When I was shopping for a warranty service, I was told that if you swap out the DRC to an after-market system, it would void the streering and suspension portion of some warranties. Mine (Fidelity) won't cover the shocks but will cover the lines, fluids and valves...go figure.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best- Occam's Razor

Excellente,

DRC should be covered under CPO. According to AoA, the dealer (the tech) needs to be certified by Audi to service RS6. Try a different dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by JCT2033 View Post
    Excellente,

DRC should be covered under CPO.
    Again the full DRC is not covered by CPO...only the central valves, not the shocks. I went through this getting mine fixed under CPO.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by vangelis View Post
    How much the torque converter and the transmission cost you???
    It was under warranty thank goodness. $6 to 8K if not under warranty is estimates i've seen with rebuilt trans.

Again the full DRC is not covered by CPO...only the central valves, not the shocks. I went through this getting mine fixed under CPO.
    /
    That's strange. I got the full DRC replaced twice using Audi CPO. I paid $50 deductible each time.