Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow.... (Intercooler)

Wow.... (Intercooler)

This car will have overheating problems.

I dont even understand why someone would do this.

There is a reaason why the Audi intercoolers are down low in the fender and the intercooler airflow goes out into the wheelwell. Please dont change this design. How many times did Audi win Lemans?

Go buy a book. Go read Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost".

Quote Originally Posted by Audifan92 View Post
    Last edited by DHall1; December 26th, 2008 at 17:14.

yes major overheating problem....

Frederic

lol, that's a little too fast and furious

Someone's totally missed the point with the RS6....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Balsen View Post
    yes major overheating problem....

Frederic
    besides the overheating it looks terrible! This syle has a name in Denmark, when it's looks homemade, a little to much..... it's called "Brian-style"
    2003 RS6 saloon +++
    2006 A3 Sportback 3,2 Q DSG (build for motorsport - 8.32 Bridge to Gantry)
    1999 S4 Avant (for sale)
    2004 Seat Altea 2,0 TDI (give me just one chance to do some econ here)

The air flow on the normal intercooler on the RS6 is actually very very efficient.
    You can get 600hp with the normal intercooler architecture....
    Position of the intercooler is no the weak point of the RS6.

Frederic

I have a front mount in my Acura NSX.. temp never gets even to the halfway mark.. so would this be such an issue?

On the NSX, the engine is not behind the intercooler...

In this RS6, the intercooler is heating the radiator wich is not so efficient anymore. And then heat from intercooler+radiator are straight to the engine block ! ! ! !

Totally stupid. On normal rs6, heat from intercooler are on each side and go out by the wheel holes. Radiator is very efficient because air flow straight from outside...

Frederic

Everything comes down to the properties of heat transfer.

Where does all this heat come from and where is it going to go? Heat comes from the engine explosions in each cylinder. Bigger explosion more heat. Some of the heat goes out the exhaust some is absorbed into the engine block, heads, manifolds, turbos...ect.

Coolant flows to keep engine temps reasonable but then how do you keep the coolant cool? Heat exchanger

If you start lining up heat exchangers in the grill of the any car....as the ambient air goes thru each exchanger the heat is transfered into the air...well now the air is not so ambient because it just soaked up all the heat from the first exchanger....now it goes thru the next exchanger already at a higher temp then ambient. Now the next exchanger cannot transfer as much heat and the cycle continues until no more heat can be displaced into the air flow.

BOOM goes the engine.

That is one of the reasons each and every heat exchanger needs its own piece of the pie. Pie being the power juice of clean cool airflow. Ever notice all the little scoops for this or that on race cars? All heat producing parts need that life blood of cool air. Ever notice the larger side scoops on the V10 R8? They are larger than the V8 R8. For the RS6, Audi did a good job of collecting all the frontal cool air available by placing things in the direct air pathway. Thats why there is an intercooler in each fender with its own supply of fresh air that dumps out into the wheelwell and the radiatior gets its own share from the grille.

Hows that gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Balsen View Post
    On the NSX, the engine is not behind the intercooler...

In this RS6, the intercooler is heating the radiator wich is not so efficient anymore. And then heat from intercooler+radiator are straight to the engine block ! ! ! !

Totally stupid. On normal rs6, heat from intercooler are on each side and go out by the wheel holes. Radiator is very efficient because air flow straight from outside...

Frederic
    Last edited by DHall1; December 29th, 2008 at 20:26.

Smart engineer when looking for the right position of an intercooler is looking at air flow in front of the intercooler but also behind...
    Stupid tuner don't know what they are doing while it looks cool.... MTM will never do such thing...

Frederic

Everyone thus far has presumed the carcass of this "Brian-style" automotive butchery to be an RS6 - perhaps it's only a 2.7T poser? Admittedly the thermodynamic masterbation above still holds true, it just may not matter as much.

RS6/4dr....if your making reference to my post. F-off.

As for the assumption of the above car being a RS6 and and not a 2.7tt. Take a look at the fenders, I doubt a poser would swap out the entire front clip of a 4.2 or RS6 just to have the rear fenders not match.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    Everyone thus far has presumed the carcass of this "Brian-style" automotive butchery to be an RS6 - perhaps it's only a 2.7T poser? Admittedly the thermodynamic masterbation above still holds true, it just may not matter as much.

My, my, don't be so f'ing touchy.

I made no specific reference, I've engaged in such activity myself, but you give away your sense of guilt and shame with such a response.

As for the fenders, pretty sure those can be added to a 2.7T quit easily. Without a VIN, we're all guessing. Enjoy your evening.

ah ha. So please let me know why all those 500-1000 HP supras, with their massive FMIC setups don't go "Boom"

My motor may be behind my seat, but my heat distributing radiator is directly behind my front mounted heat exchanger. And my temp still never gets even to the halfway mark. I doubt my nsx motor loses much heat to "radiation" otherwise my ass would get awfully warm.

Well, most of those Supra's dont track race and are mainly used for show or dyno queens. 1/4 mile runs dont count either.

Call Reg Reimer in Canada who ran a One Lap MkIV Supra a few years ago. He ran into all the problems noted above in my rant of cooling.

I wont waste my time on such rants and just piss on others threads from now on. How about that RS4dr.

Please give me a break about "I made no specific reference"

Quote Originally Posted by peiserg View Post
    ah ha. So please let me know why all those 500-1000 HP supras, with their massive FMIC setups don't go "Boom"

My motor may be behind my seat, but my heat distributing radiator is directly behind my front mounted heat exchanger. And my temp still never gets even to the halfway mark. I doubt my nsx motor loses much heat to "radiation" otherwise my ass would get awfully warm.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    RS6/4dr....if your making reference to my post. F-off.
    Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    My, my, don't be so f'ing touchy.

I made no specific reference, I've engaged in such activity myself, but you give away your sense of guilt and shame with such a response.
    That's not the language to use here. Please take better care before posting.

Back ON topic please.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Priceless quote that will prompt my response 100% of the time.

[quote=RS6-4dr911;Admittedly the thermodynamic masterbation above still holds true,[/quote]