Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KW suspension fitted with Mods..

KW suspension fitted with Mods..

So installed the new suspension today - with a buddy of mine "Go Big Truck Performance" in Ventura CA. He had some excellent ideas on how to do the install so i coul;d adjust all the shocks without ever taking a tire off my car.
    We cut the tops of the front shock mounts with a 1 3/8 hole saw then removed the guide bit.. test fitted the mounts and use them as a guide for the saw to cut through carefully into the engine compartment.
    In the rear i measure where the allen would need to be to adjust the shock when fitted then cut a slot in the housing (vechile) Covered with rubber and self tapping screws. Jacked the car back up and with the wheels hanging could get to the allen no problem - removing the wheel would help but is not nesessary.
    Fitted the front sway bar from HotCkixs but the rear is the wrong one - straight across with just a single bend at each end - totally unlike the factory one. There was just no way we could get bolts in - will contact HotCkixs ASAP on this. New tires on to / Michi PS2s.. THANKYOU SANTA.

Hope the pics explain the mods better - why have a fully adjustable set up you just can't set up?? Hope this gives the brave hope and some ideas on a good KW saver.

Merry Xmas to All.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 suspension 001.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	7408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 suspension 005.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	7409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 suspension 022.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	7410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 suspension 026.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	7411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 suspension 014.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	7412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 suspension 019.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	7413  

quality doesn't come in a twist off.

I like those changes.

More more more pics please. What settings did you choose...height and shock setup along with stance to go with the above settings.

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadShot View Post
    So installed the new suspension today - with a buddy of mine "Go Big Truck Performance" in Ventura CA. He had some excellent ideas on how to do the install so i coul;d adjust all the shocks without ever taking a tire off my car.
    We cut the tops of the front shock mounts with a 1 3/8 hole saw then removed the guide bit.. test fitted the mounts and use them as a guide for the saw to cut through carefully into the engine compartment.
    In the rear i measure where the allen would need to be to adjust the shock when fitted then cut a slot in the housing (vechile) Covered with rubber and self tapping screws. Jacked the car back up and with the wheels hanging could get to the allen no problem - removing the wheel would help but is not nesessary.
    Fitted the front sway bar from HotCkixs but the rear is the wrong one - straight across with just a single bend at each end - totally unlike the factory one. There was just no way we could get bolts in - will contact HotCkixs ASAP on this. New tires on to / Michi PS2s.. THANKYOU SANTA.

Hope the pics explain the mods better - why have a fully adjustable set up you just can't set up?? Hope this gives the brave hope and some ideas on a good KW saver.

Merry Xmas to All.

I'm running the stock settings as they were shipped on the KW,s.. will wait till the new rear sway bar is in before adjustments.. i want it stiffer than a stock RS6. Right now only just got it hm.. the steering felt very responsive in tight corners - like on rails .With the rear sway in on hardest i'll have to see.. then i'll start adjustments.

A note on the KWs.. out of the box.. the fronts are very low.. i mean i'd not like to lower it any more than that (about maybe 1" lower than factory i'm guessing) and the rear was way high.. we backed off that 4 turns on the spring setup that brought it down.. more like factory - with rear passengers it comes down some so.. ( looks alittle raked - pics next week.) When i get back onthe lift for the rear sway job i'll probably bring the front up 1/2 inch to level it up - my front lip spoilers must be considered ha,ha.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadShot View Post
    I'm running the stock settings as they were shipped on the KW,s.. will wait till the new rear sway bar is in before adjustments.. i want it stiffer than a stock RS6. Right now only just got it hm.. the steering felt very responsive in tight corners - like on rails .With the rear sway in on hardest i'll have to see.. then i'll start adjustments.

A note on the KWs.. out of the box.. the fronts are very low.. i mean i'd not like to lower it any more than that (about maybe 1" lower than factory i'm guessing) and the rear was way high.. we backed off that 4 turns on the spring setup that brought it down.. more like factory - with rear passengers it comes down some so.. ( looks alittle raked - pics next week.) When i get back onthe lift for the rear sway job i'll probably bring the front up 1/2 inch to level it up - my front lip spoilers must be considered ha,ha.
    Very nicee,, thanks for the info as this will be my next mod after receiving the RNS-E this week and install it. By the way, you mentioned that you have front lip spoilers and I can see at your avatar photo that you have a front different lip (am not sure), I was wondering where can I get a different front lip spoilers and maybe rear diffuser CF or something.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

Srry - made them myself.. no plans to do a run on theses at the moment.

Name:	Putting Green unfinished 00701.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	7414  

Nick, gotta plan for a meet up soon!

Hey Duck. Merry Xmas... Off till the 11th so let me know.. i need to take her for a blat so just let me know and i'll be there... any one else around????

Anyone who has lowered their car with an aftermarket springs or suspension had problems with the camber? I'm going to replace all of my control arms during my KW / Hotchkis install and wondering if I should go with the Stearns adjustable upper control arms?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I think this would be a very good idea. Given that at the stock ride height we are looking at -1.4 degrees on the fronts. You lower from there and that number just gets more negative.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Anyone who has lowered their car with an aftermarket springs or suspension had problems with the camber? I'm going to replace all of my control arms during my KW / Hotchkis install and wondering if I should go with the Stearns adjustable upper control arms?

My technician has told me to go find some CPP adjustable control arm (who are out of business), I can't seem to find any information on the Stearns. But just as a point of reference, my right front still seems to be having a little too much negative camber.

For Sterns arms go to www.purems.com or to Stern at sternproducts.com I can't find info anymore on the CPP arms? Are they still made? The Stern's arms do use factory bushings which mean they will be quiet and soft but as we all know, the bushings will still fail early and need to be replaced.
    Roy, WA

No, CPP is now completely out of business but you can still occasionally find it around. I was a day too late for a set on audiworld.com

Someone mentioned that the stearns may not support the weight of the RS6, but thanks for the links, will contact them and see what they say.

Stearns claim they are actually stronger than stock although they are a couple of ounces heavier though but not much, and hung from the top I don't think it contributes to unsprung weight. The problem with our cars isn't the metal wearing out, it's the bushings and they chose to go with factory bushings, although I don't know if the bushing material has been improved since our cars were produced. There will still be that rubber compliance with the factory bushings that we wouldn't have had with the CPP arms. But the Stearn's will solve the camber issues.
    Roy, WA

Here is the original Audiworld post for the Stern Arms.
    http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/43120.phtml
    Roy, WA

The rear adjuster access

Just firmed up the shocks all the way around 2 clicks each - took about 20 minutes -NICE. Will let ya know how that feels in a few days. The KW factory setting felt really good - much more responsive, No roll to speak of - a completely different car although who knows how long my DRC was toast and i was used to that ride (Yuck) so hard to compare to Audi factory eh. Anyway stiffened everything up some more to compare now i have a base line on the KW.s.
    Included is some pics of the rear adjuster access with the back jacked up on that side - wheel stays on (really - ya have to love it LOL!!!)

Name:	DSC03197.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	7459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flap open.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	7460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear hand clearance.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	7461  

Woow , that is really a perfect idea. I just bought my KWs and Hotchiks sway-bars and waiting for them, maybe a week or 10 days will be received. I will go for that mod for sure ,,, thanks man for the pics
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

Glad i could help - i can't imagine dropping the wole system for adjustment, Ouch!
    I made plugs for the front access holes with the hole saw and a peice of thick rubber. Put a cotter pin through the center to use to pull them as required. Make sure you put some grease over the top of the allen to stop crap and corruption getting in there or water and your good to go. And have some primmer on hand to clean up those edges.

The rear sway that was the wrong one -- drove down to Hotckis to do the part swap (there receptionist is nice!!) Turns out the one they had shipped me was for a mini cooper!!! HA,HA - no wonder it didn't come close

Drove around abit today with the tighter set up. Definatelly feels like a track set up - theres that feeling your on a very tight spring. Noticable differences (this is at 2 clicks tighter all the way around) There is absolutely no squat on take off!! You may not think theres any now but at this setting its very pronounced - feels alot quicker at this point... you don't feel that head thrown back sensation much as theres no bounce back from the squat.
    Ride feels very firm - actually Very Tight.. cornering is excellent but i thought it was amazing at the stock set up. The back end feels maybe too stiff in corners.. atleast on the roads, you wonder when she will go... yet to push it that hard. On the freeway its way more choppy - At stock KW set up there was really not much rattle in the cabin but on this firm setting that changes considerably.
    Theres a freeway speed bridge corner near me that has an expansion joint on the far end of the apex.. usually bounces most cars badly with that feeling you could roll it. With the Kw.s the car had none of that but there was a tiny skip as the back end felt light (like it was off the deck and moving to the outside) Just a split second of it and then no problem, no bounce and more speed. But thats a hard feeling to get used to - i think too stiff for the streets at -2 so i'll adjust back 1 click all the way around tomorrow and see how it feels. If the back is still skipping then off one more in the rear to factory with +1 in the front.

I'm not a track guy - just a driver so excuse the crude explanation. If there are any questions on how it feels doing anything else just ask and i'll see if i can get it done - Oh yeah, hard brakes.. F-all dip- if any- that feels crazy!!!. Really it's quite a treat to drive at a track type set up - crazy sensations feeling a car in a whole different way. If the streets were track smooth i'd keep it as is but the U.S isn't the auto barn and they don't really do much Rd improvement in CA lol ( thats why the Governor drives a Hummer!!! )