Thread: Steering Noise

Steering Noise

Ok so I have been hearing some strange noises from the steering/suspension in the last few weeks. I had the dealer check it out and the replaced a back strut but said the steering was fine, but it is getting worse. So I am going to take it back to them but I wanted to see if any of you have had the same problem.

I hear a clicking which to me sound which sounds like joint popping and I am also not getting a loud whine sound. It is going to sound funny but like a goose. Sounds metal on metal.

I know that is not a lot to go on by thoughts?

have them check the steering column.

This makes no sense to me.

You have steering noises and the dealer replaced a "back strut"?

Please clarify.

If a DRC strut was changed. You better do some reading on the proper repair of DRC. I think you should do some searching with the search function.

Quote Originally Posted by stubro View Post
    Ok so I have been hearing some strange noises from the steering/suspension in the last few weeks. I had the dealer check it out and the replaced a back strut but said the steering was fine, but it is getting worse. So I am going to take it back to them but I wanted to see if any of you have had the same problem.

I hear a clicking which to me sound which sounds like joint popping and I am also not getting a loud whine sound. It is going to sound funny but like a goose. Sounds metal on metal.

I know that is not a lot to go on by thoughts?

Thanks I will do the search on the DRC that is a great point. Yes I took it in for the front noise they said they found a bad back strut and that the noise was more than likely caused by that which didnt make sense but ok I will give it a try.

I first through it was the sterring column becuase that is when I felt it but now it is getting worse the DRC might make sense. I will do teh research and post the final findings here for others later.

Now this makes more sense. Please call the dealer service manager and ask how many RS6s have they serviced? And if he/she is up to speed on the proper repair of DRC related issues.

Reason. This dealer probably screwed up your entire DRC if only 1 rear strut was replaced.

Now your rear strut, central valve and front strut are shot. Your car is not safe to drive on the hwy. I am not joking.

The first front noise could have been the steering rack mounts or front control arm bushings. Now that the DRC is opened up...you have to replace all the DRC components in that circuit. Ie if the RR strut was changed.....you need the LF strut, the central valve and another RR strut. Yes, the strut they just replaced needs replaced again along with the items I just listed.

http://www.titsup-racing.com/RS6_Training_Manual.pdf

Page 46-47 will be what your looking for in the above manual. This is Audi's own publication, end of story.

Better start doing some searching on DRC related issues and how to properly fix the system. And see the above manual. Knowledge is your friend.

Dont end up in a ditch on the side of the hwy.

Thanks I will do the search on the DRC that is a great point. Yes I took it in for the front noise they said they found a bad back strut and that the noise was more than likely caused by that which didnt make sense but ok I will give it a try.

I first through it was the sterring column becuase that is when I felt it but now it is getting worse the DRC might make sense. I will do teh research and post the final findings here for others later.

or have tires blow out on you

BTW, great find on that manual Dave!

WOW great info . They do have a few RS6 mechanics but you know what the Svc Mgr is new and I can see them screwing that up. The car is sitting at the airport, I am in Brazil this week, so safe in the parking garage.

Thanks again!!!!

Greg,

Yeah, the link was here on the forum in another thread.

Call it my Christmas gift to RS6.com for all the help.

Kinda funny reading that document.

QUOTE=DuckWingDuck;147997]BTW, great find on that manual Dave![/QUOTE]

OK taking the car in on Friday. Talked to the fmr. svc mgr who is a friend and he said there is a tool to recharge the system now. I have read the posts where it says that is only charges to 5 bar so I will ask about that and I will ask for a pressure test on all.

They did cover my strut under CPO and then found after it was not covered so there is a littel goodwill there. I have read the tons of posts aroud the DRC and I will send him the links as well to read up. They have sold and serviced a ton of RS6s and he said they havent had to replace more than one strut at a time.

So I will take it with a grain of salt and see what happens and I will of course keep you all updated. Thanks again for the help.

OK here is the update. The steering noise was a rack bolt that was lose. That has been fixed.

An update on the DRC.
    The one strut that was replaced was checked along with all the other ones. Each has 14bar of pressure. The dealer says they have an ungodly expensive tool to add pressure to the system and yes above 5 bar. He said the self study guide we have was updated in the audi system on how to fix DRC. He logged in and showed to me on how to fix it. Again I trust this svr mg and have for years. He showed me the system and said if there are issues they will fix them. So I am a happy camper. Oh and btw for xmas I Revo'd it for good measure. ho ho ho.

OK here is the update. The steering noise was a rack bolt that was lose. That has been fixed.
    That happened to me too
    ***Big Drew***

Re:Vision Auto Salon
    Revisionauto.com
    801 E. Gude Dr
    Rockville MD 20850

Remember to pray to the car gods daily

My car is in for DRC repair as well. I printed out this document in full (60 pages) showed the Service Manager, Audi Regional and Fidelity Rep the manual. (They all happened to be there when I showed up at the dealer to swap out the Enterprise rental for an A4 Cab).

I was also told this procedure is outdated and they too have a new tool/system in place that allows them to replace the leaky strut, refill and charge the system. I have yet to see this new procedure however they promised to print it out and hand it to me when I pick up the car in about a week.

I'm also posting this message as a new thread so it is not lost in this one.

More to follow....

Very good. Yes, there is news of a tool to do this.

Also thanks for starting a new thread.

Lastly, what did Fidelity say about the leaking strut? Did they cover the strut? and which Fidelity policy do you have?

Thanks for the update. We need to get more concrete information out to the group on how to proceed with a few of these common repairs for our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    My car is in for DRC repair as well. I printed out this document in full (60 pages) showed the Service Manager, Audi Regional and Fidelity Rep the manual. (They all happened to be there when I showed up at the dealer to swap out the Enterprise rental for an A4 Cab).

I was also told this procedure is outdated and they too have a new tool/system in place that allows them to replace the leaky strut, refill and charge the system. I have yet to see this new procedure however they promised to print it out and hand it to me when I pick up the car in about a week.

I'm also posting this message as a new thread so it is not lost in this one.

More to follow....

Arrow

Is this at reeves in tampa? I will be in tampa friday and next week and like to talk to them about my car

I kinda wonder if they can do a temp recharge on my four leaky ones for my trip home

An update on the DRC.
    The one strut that was replaced was checked along with all the other ones. Each has 14bar of pressure. The dealer says they have an ungodly expensive tool to add pressure to the system and yes above 5 bar. He said the self study guide we have was updated in the audi system on how to fix DRC. He logged in and showed to me on how to fix it. Again I trust this svr mg and have for years. He showed me the system and said if there are issues they will fix them. So I am a happy camper. Oh and btw for xmas I Revo'd it for good measure. ho ho ho.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet