Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R8 V10...

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    There aren't really any truly powerful FF road cars. Why? Traction. I'd like to experiment with some of the more powerful FF cars as I'm not convinced that they'd be any easier to correct. Cars like the 306 GTi6also ended up in a hedge more often than not.

I guess it depends on the oversteer mechanism. If the FF car is somehow set up for gradual oversteer, which is difficult, then your theory holds true. However, traditional FFs understeer strongly at first and then snap oversteer when the front bites. The latter is much harder to correct.

I agree there isn't too many powerful FWD cars and it's traction that's the problem. But I disagree that they are any more difficult to make oversteer gracefully than anything else. The reality is that most people are average at best and understeer is the easiest telltale sign that ultimate grip is being approached. The reason that most FWD and AWD car understeer is that most people brake when shit happens, that's fine when it's the nose that has let go but it's a disaster when it's the tail which have let go.

The snap you are describing is the equivalent to a tank slapper with a rwd car, the outcome is just as problematic for the average driver and just as dangerous.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Back on Topic Guys hehe...

Kreso, are those the final figures for power? Also, why might it not be coming to Paris?

regards,
    Damien

Power figures are from ETKA so, pretty final...
    Intro in Paris? Slim chances...

R8 V10 seems to be less entertaining than R8 V8...
    And the gearbox is also obsolete...
    And no QTV...

In my opinion - RS5 will be much more new in the view of latest techs Audi have at their disposal...

I will bet that RS5 will be a bomb in the market differing from that for R8 V10 which wouldn't be able to compete with GTR, facelifted Turbo, LP560-4, 430 Scuderia and others.. the price difference will also be not that much..

Am I not right???

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    And no QTV...

In my opinion - RS5 will be much more new in the view of latest techs Audi have at their disposal...

I will bet that RS5 will be a bomb in the market differing from that for R8 V10 which wouldn't be able to compete with GTR, facelifted Turbo, LP560-4, 430 Scuderia and others.. the price difference will also be not that much..

Am I not right???
    I have to ask-do you know what are you talking about?

QTV? In mid engine car with visco based AWD? I better stop here...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    I have to ask-do you know what are you talking about?

QTV? In mid engine car with visco based AWD? I better stop here...
    A bit blunt but I was also debating to ask the same question.

QTV should improve the performance of the normal RS models to the sort of standard the R8 already enjoys but I doubt it will be better, the basic layout and suspension design of the R8 are the things which makes it so special, not it's awd system.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I agree there isn't too many powerful FWD cars and it's traction that's the problem. But I disagree that they are any more difficult to make oversteer gracefully than anything else. The reality is that most people are average at best and understeer is the easiest telltale sign that ultimate grip is being approached. The reason that most FWD and AWD car understeer is that most people brake when shit happens, that's fine when it's the nose that has let go but it's a disaster when it's the tail which have let go.

The snap you are describing is the equivalent to a tank slapper with a rwd car, the outcome is just as problematic for the average driver and just as dangerous.
    A 'tank slapper' is a clumbsy regain of control AFAIK. I've experienced both power oversteer and entry oversteer with RWD and AWD cars (R32 GTR) and they are far easier to correct in both types of oversteer than the snap oversteer that FWD can bring on. The problem with FWD snap oversteer is that the rear is barely touching the ground and there's virtually no weight there, so trying to achieve grip once again isn't easy. It just catapults round its boat anchor front end, which has all but stopped moving regardless of accelerator position. It might be different in a sportier FF car where the rear pokes out a little when braking into a corner and front end momentum is maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by artur777 View Post
    And no QTV...

Am I not right???
    Hi Artur, lets not jump to conclusions here. So far we have no specifics on the gearbox (6-speed, r-tronic, or s-tronic) and on whether QTV ( I assume you mean Quattro Torque Vectoring) will be imtroducted on the V10 variant of the R8. I think the V10 R8 will be more "entertaining" aside from it being just an R8 with a V10 engine.

NO. It will be the same R8, just with V10 engine. Manual and R Tronic gerbox options.

QTV is NOT needed and NOT possible with mid engine layout.

NO. It will be the same R8, just with V10 engine. Manual and R Tronic gerbox options.

QTV is NOT needed and NOT possible with mid engine layout.
    Forgive my lack of knowledge Kreso but why would QTV not be possible with a mid engined layout. I have read about it a bit and understand that, "highly compact and can be contained with very limited intrusion into an existing differential packaging envelope". Also as the R8 is mid engined ( and QTV distributes torque from the engine in continuously between the rear /axelswheels), shouldn't it have sufficient space for the QTV package?

thanks,
    Damien

KresoF1,

I may be not so advanced in car techs, but cpuld you pls explain why QTV isn;t possible in mid-engine layout?

QTV - is just to distribute torque between wheels of the rear axle?
    why isn;t it possible?

sorry if the question is stupid...

First, R8 alread use rear LSD. Second, QTV differential is too big for R8(or Gallardo LP560-4). Third, QTV differential in new S4 is designed from the scratch to work in junction with Torsen based AWD so, inplatition in Visco base AWD with power split of 70/30 is not possible. Fourth, QTV would not improve drive dynamcis of R8 since it already use LSD for rear wheels. Fifth, QTV is not fully mechancial diff but, electronically controlled one. In theory it should work very nice just, very nice in S4, NOT in R8. Sixth, R8 use rear tires of 295 or 305 wide! QTV would overheat in a minute with tires that wide. Pure mechanical LSD with ESP in two stages is the best solution for mid engine AWD layout car like R8.

And just to end the hype about QTV... Is it a standard item in S4? NO. Why, when it is not that expensive option(OK, you must buy Drive select as well)? Will QTV be that much better then current AWD setup say it in S5?
    I can tell you one thing-current S5 will be much safer car to drive for average Joe then QTV equiped S4. QTV will make car more rear lively and while that effect is excellent for dry road I am wondering about wet road...
    QTV is not an revolution-it is just advcanced electonical differential that mimic LSD action. Is it a must for all future Audi's? I can not say just my opinion is-do we all want Audi's that drives similar to BMWs?

Kerso,

I agree with the first paragraph relating to the R8 but disagree with your opinion of QTV that it will make the cars more difficult to control, that is plain wrong and misinformation. QTV tightens the line of the car, reducing understeer but only in it's most aggressive setting will the possibility of oversteer become an issue and even then it will be less of a problem than one would get in a proper rwd car fitted with a LSD.

I don't understand why you play down any new technology that Audi bring out. BMW have a similar system in the X6 and the difference it makes over the non-equipped X5 is remarkable. Serious man you need to get with the programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Kerso,

I agree with the first paragraph relating to the R8 but disagree with your opinion of QTV that it will make the cars more difficult to control, that is plain wrong and misinformation. QTV tightens the line of the car, reducing understeer but only in it's most aggressive setting will the possibility of oversteer become an issue and even then it will be less of a problem than one would get in a proper rwd car fitted with a LSD.

I don't understand why you play down any new technology that Audi bring out. BMW have a similar system in the X6 and the difference it makes over the non-equipped X5 is remarkable. Serious man you need to get with the programme.
    Again, not very nice manners from you... You did this already few times to me... Did you drove QTV equiped car(X6)? Why is then X6 slower on wet handling track then X5?

Most of my comment were in regard with R8 and not very since comment about this car by some other member here...

QTV is IMHO nice piece of technology, specially for normal Torsen AWD Audi's. BUT, car like R8 would not benefite from it at all. That is my very personal opinion...

Do you know the difference between you and me? I respect your opinion and you do not respect mine. Clear as a sky...

I am sportscar enthusiast and my R8 is as perfect sportscar as it could be. You are very, very BIG Audi fan... I am probably just average Audi fan in comparsion...

Again, not very nice manners from you... You did this already few times to me... Did you drove QTV equiped car(X6)? Why is then X6 slower on wet handling track then X5?

Most of my comment were in regard with R8 and not very since comment about this car by some other member here...

QTV is IMHO nice piece of technology, specially for normal Torsen AWD Audi's. BUT, car like R8 would not benefite from it at all. That is my very personal opinion...

Do you know the difference between you and me? I respect your opinion and you do not respect mine. Clear as a sky...

I am sportscar enthusiast and my R8 is as perfect sportscar as it could be. You are very, very BIG Audi fan... I am probably just average Audi fan in comparsion...

I can't understand how my remarks were viewed in such a way as to be insulting but if they were I apologize, it was not my intention, only to explain that this constant playing down of their new technology could be regarded as negative in the extreme. I also agree with what you said about the R8 and my comments were addressing the QTV technology.

P.S.

Yes I have driven the X6 and compared it to the X5, I can't say if there is much of a difference in the wet but you definitely notice the diff doing it's work and it's remarkable how much better the X6 holds it's line compared to the X5. You wouldn't think they were basically the same chassis.

Also remember my comment that even when QTV does oversteer it will be a lot more controllable then a rwd car with a LSD, even you have to admit that to be true which is basically my point.

Oh, please behave
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Erik,

Seriously, there was nothing in either of my replies to warrant a warning. I was just pointing out some facts that I have noticed.

Hey, there are no warnings given.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail