Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Gen A8.

Tailpipe-

don't know where you live, but in the US unemployment is at near 10% with no significant change in 12 months and none expected for the next 2 quarters.

i don't think audi would delay releasing the engine solely on the economy. it just wasn't ready for the A8 launch.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    Tailpipe-

don't know where you live, but in the US unemployment is at near 10% with no significant change in 12 months and none expected for the next 2 quarters.
    Yeah, I saw Tailpipe's comment too and was like, huh?!?

He's in the UK.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

The economy is all perception (mostly because we are all idiots), so if we believe Tailpipe his word will become reality. If we doubt him, our doubt will become reality.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJohn View Post
    The economy is all perception (mostly because we are all idiots), so if we believe Tailpipe his word will become reality. If we doubt him, our doubt will become reality.
    Ahh... the Ol' "Reality is what we perceive it to Be"...

Well, our company's numbers are STILL down 40% from 2006 numbers, so I "perceive" it is still crappy.

Ben

Sorry for the OT.
    Ron Paul Fan

The economy is down because people stop spending because the economy is down. The economy will be up when people start spending because the economy is up.

The reason why the banks made bad investments is because of the perceived value of the financial product. But then someone asked about the actual value, and suddenly the percieved value dropped, causing the recession. The content of the product is irrelevant.

The people who create this perception of value are the ones making money on both the inflation and recession of the economy. The money they made inflating the value of financial products is now used to buy up the companies they ruined by ruining the economy by selling worthless products.

There is no Gold standard, or any other standard, which means the value of money is 100% perception, and the physical value is zero. Money is worth exactly what we think it is worth to someone else.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

I'll just add that I live in London, which is Audi A8 Central.

Here there are signs of life. Bankers (and I'm not one of them) have got their bonuses back. But perhaps the biggest change of all since the last Recession, is that we're less dependent on the US economy than we used to be - although we still catch a cold when Wall Street sneezes.

Economy cars ain't selling anywhere in the UK. But Porsche Panameras, Range Rovers, Ferraris, Merc S500s, Bentleys and Lexuses are all doing well.

PeterJohn, i love your post!!!!

+10

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJohn View Post
    The people who create this perception of value are the ones making money on both the inflation and recession of the economy. The money they made inflating the value of financial products is now used to buy up the companies they ruined by ruining the economy by selling worthless products.

There is no Gold standard, or any other standard, which means the value of money is 100% perception, and the physical value is zero. Money is worth exactly what we think it is worth to someone else.
    Especially enjoyed this part...
    Ron Paul Fan

Autocar has driven the Audi A8 (3.0 TDI) and the impressions are quite good.

In just about every criteria, the new A8 makes a very convincing case for itself. So much so, that it should now be considered an automatic inclusion on the short list of anyone in the market for an up-market four-door. Yes, it’s that good.
    Full article in here.

There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Please do NOT post any more pics of that interior as it might get me to like the rest of that boring car.

Damn that interior...

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

i don't like the steering wheel, prefer the round version.

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    Please do NOT post any more pics of that interior as it might get me to like the rest of that boring car...
    Come on Ben, admit that you love it...!

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    i don't like the steering wheel, prefer the round version.
    Plus one, on that one!

BTW, I really have to say that more that I look at pic's of it, I see new ''hidden'' details, and I like it more and more...!

Quote Originally Posted by Lmg View Post
    Looks great in that colour.

What colour is it?
    Dear Lmg,

this is a new color that has been introduced with the A8.

Oolong Grey metallic.

Qisha

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    BTW, I really have to say that more that I look at pic's of it, I see new ''hidden'' details, and I like it more and more...!
    I think that's the key to Audi's design longevity. Some models may not immediately scream 'look at me' but they age well. People still compliment my B5 and that design is fifteen years old! IMO the same cannot always be said of equivalent BMW and Mercedes designs, most of which look quite dated sooner in comparison.
    2003 Audi S4 saloon (gone but not forgotten...)
    1998 Audi A4 1.9TDi quattro Sport saloon

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Lmg,

this is a new color that has been introduced with the A8.

Oolong Grey metallic.

Qisha
    Thanks, Qisha.

It looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mockenrue View Post
    I think that's the key to Audi's design longevity. Some models may not immediately scream 'look at me' but they age well. People still compliment my B5 and that design is fifteen years old! IMO the same cannot always be said of equivalent BMW and Mercedes designs, most of which look quite dated sooner in comparison.
    That's actually intentional. Audi counts on the lease market (if I remember correctly, in Europe leasing represents 70% of Audi sales), and the leasemarket counts on resale value. So Audi makes sure the new models don't make the old ones outdated, keeping resale value high, keeping the leasing companies happy.

I wouldn't want it any other way. The car is already huge. It doesn't need a radical appearance to make it stand out. That would just make it tacky. I hate the new generation "flame-job" or whatever it's called beemers. I liked it when a 7series looked like a 5series looked like a 3series. People still complement me on my sleek e39 Touring. They don't always know it's a 5series, but who cares anyway. You don't wanna drive a fashion statement. Things that look new also look old pretty fast. You want something that just looks good.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

Autocar reviews the Audi A8 4.2 TDi and the usually xenophobic Brits-unless it is a BMW-that inhabit the corridors for this publication found it very capable, calling it "a very fine car." The writer tries to make a comparison with the new, and not yet tested Jaguar XJ, and of course, the Jaguar is the more "sporting" machine.

The comments made by readers are even more comical. One commenter actually states that Audi needed Jaguar's technical assistance in developing the aluminium Audi Space Frame. Evidently, he fails to realize that Audi has well over twenty years of experience of working with aluminium in volume production. This equates to several generations including three generations for the A8, the A2, the R8, and the aluminium/steel hybrid construction of the TT.

Another states that the interior of the A8 is subpar because the wood trim appears, at least to him, as artificial plastic wood. Evidently he needs to upgrade his monitor or have his eyes check by a well qualified Ophthalmologist; probably are very difficult task with the UK's NHS. The interior photographs several posts above exude sophisticated, elegant design fixated on authentic materials.

The link to the AutoCar review is found here:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...uattro/247389/

Well done Audi, well done. I look forward to driving this car, and probably owning this car, in the not too distant future.