Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corvette ZR1 Laps the Ring in 7:26.4, Beats the 2009 Nissan

Harsh... that is a nice word for the ride... I was just thankful that I strapped myself in well in the 07 non Z06 Vette I rode in...

I would have a difficult time spending $103k on a new Corvette (V10 RS6, easier time). Ok, yeah GM stuffed in a supercharged LS9 motor. Ok yeah it makes gobs of horsepower. But is it really worth $103k?!? The Z06 was around $70k... Is there $33k worth of performance? For the deadhard new corvette fans, I would say yes. For the guys that want the most bang for the buck, I wouldn't be so sure...

Three things are for sure:
    1. There will be a flood of Z06's on the market soon...
    2. There is some fool(s) that will wrap one/several around a tree or a lightpole thereby increasing the "rareness" of the ZL1.(Case in point(s): Enzo's, R8's, F40, F50... )
    3. Depreciation is a bitch...

Give me a '63 split window or a '67 427 tripower convertible, anyday over this one...

Meh...just bring a V-Spec GT-R as Benman said.
    I would have a GT-R over this any day, but mainly because I just don't have enough skills to drive such monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the corvette does so well on the ring yet all European reviews laugh at it's chassis for ride quality and finesse?
    Some European mags are shit. Let's face it, it's just beaten a £400k Zonda F Clubsport by 1.42 seconds on the most trying track on the planet. Very narrow, bumpy in places etc.

Z07,

There is a difference between grip and chassis balance/finesse. Through huge tyres on it anything and you will up it's cornering speeds.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Z07,

There is a difference between grip and chassis balance/finesse. Through huge tyres on it anything and you will up it's cornering speeds.
    Sure about that word "anything"???

http://www.terex.com/main.php?obj=pr...b57b49f8c1436c

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    You have to try one of these on skinny tyres, they are a death trap.
    Search and you will find the truth.

You have to try one of these on skinny tyres, they are a death trap.
    If I had to take the corvette over that big truck, well twist my arm, I would take it...

Corvette 1.5 ton plus/minus and 650HP
    Terex 91 ton and 1050 HP...

Many US cars are piece of *hit according to European standards, but C6 Vette is exception and there are few more. It's not that easy to change peoples (and journalists) perceptions here in Europe. I have driven Z06 (on the track) and it was very good. ZR1 must be total ovekill, as Z06 has already plenty of power to put it mildly.

I would take big cube RWD V8 any day over Pentium controlled 4WD turbo rocket, regardless what lapitmes they can achieve. Those cars are for fun, not for racing and you never use that last fraction of their capabilities. But sound you hear every time and going sideways around corners is too much fun to miss it.
    2004 RS6 Avant

not sure why there is so much hating on the ZR1 here. from what i can see the ZR1 interior is at least up to par with the GTR's. no, it will not be as easy to drive (not that the GTR is a cream puff either), but it is significantly faster. and what NO ONE has credited the ZR1 with is the the fact that it produced such astounding numbers with a regular manual transmision. no DSG. no star wars awd system and electronics. just the magnetic suspension.

had the vette been given a DSG it would have obliterated the GTR. furthermore. for all those who talk up the spec V. that car's power will not be a huge step up since the GTR's official hp figures have been kept low in anticipation of this variant. the 3.6 TT V6 is maxxed out. the spec V's performnce will come mainly in the way of weight loss. so what you will have is a cheaped down GTR interior and an engine that is one step away from having a heart attack. it'll cost close to 100K and make the ZR1 a better value.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    from what i can see the ZR1 interior is at least up to par with the GTR's.
    I'd agree with that statement...

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    had the vette been given a DSG it would have obliterated the GTR.
    You left out AWD.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan