Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RS4 V8 vs 997 2S video

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Have you ever driven a Carrera?
    I wasn't talking about the driving pleasure.... It sure has a lot of it... but here in germany in the huge cities too many houswifes and overdressed/pimped women (don't know to explain better) are driving a stock carrera.. the Fascination of Porsche starts with the Turbo, GT3, and so on... but a carrera has no flair... The RS4 is in this case for me the more fascinating car. You can think about it what you want, that's my opinion... even if the carrera is the better performing car... the same goes with the M3.. a great looking and performing car, but the guys i see driving it are mostly slimy and potential owners of a brothel... I know these are prejudices, but they are fullfilled most of the time
    Vorsprung durch Technik

Quote Originally Posted by itisme View Post
    I wasn't talking about the driving pleasure.... It sure has a lot of it... but here in germany in the huge cities too many houswifes and overdressed/pimped women (don't know to explain better) are driving a stock carrera.. the Fascination of Porsche starts with the Turbo, GT3, and so on... but a carrera has no flair... The RS4 is in this case for me the more fascinating car. You can think about it what you want, that's my opinion... even if the carrera is the better performing car... the same goes with the M3.. a great looking and performing car, but the guys i see driving it are mostly slimy and potential owners of a brothel... I know these are prejudices, but they are fullfilled most of the time
    I understand what you mean. The porsche cliches apply worldwide. But you have to ask yourself why?....They make fantastic cars. They gain a reputable image -> people buy into the image and not the car -> they tarnish the cars image. Sad but true (and very profitable for porsche)

Personally I would prefer a Cayman or a GT3 for pure driving pleasure but none of the points you raise have anything to do with driving and everything to do with image.

If you watch Top Gear...Jeremy Clarkson moved the M3 from Uncool to Cool on the 'Cool wall' precisely because all those M3 badge whores have moved to the audi RS4/R8 and the RS4 was moved to the uncool section....anecdotal i know, but if your fascination stems from image only you may soon realise that those people who drive carreras are all soon driving RS4/TTRs and R8s.
    Truth In The Blacklist

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    I understand what you mean. The porsche cliches apply worldwide. But you have to ask yourself why?....They make fantastic cars. They gain a reputable image -> people buy into the image and not the car -> they tarnish the cars image. Sad but true (and very profitable for porsche)

Personally I would prefer a Cayman or a GT3 for pure driving pleasure but none of the points you raise have anything to do with driving and everything to do with image.

If you watch Top Gear...Jeremy Clarkson moved the M3 from Uncool to Cool on the 'Cool wall' precisely because all those M3 badge whores have moved to the audi RS4/R8 and the RS4 was moved to the uncool section....anecdotal i know, but if your fascination stems from image only you may soon realise that those people who drive carreras are all soon driving RS4/TTRs and R8s.
    very well said and so true... performance wise I think they are each on their own very good cars and all worth of their existence. I don't car if one is some sec. faster in straigt acceleration and the other one in cornering and the next one in wet condition... If I pay that amount of money for one of them, image is the big deal. Performance is perfekt on each of them. So the image is the thing to look after for me, because I do somehow identify myself with the car I drive. And that is what every enthusiast does, I think... even a Mitsubishi Evo XX driver drives his car out of conviction, and this is the big reason why discussions like that will always be with that much of emotion in it and everyone is convicted with his own passion for his brand/car and won't admit easily that anotherone is better than his...
    Vorsprung durch Technik

Seriously people why all the hate and conspiracy about m5board. I have been to Gustavs 2nd event. Although I don't really know him that well he is cetainly a normal guy and not the devil like some of you seem to think (have you ever even met him in person).

At the event I raced several BMW's. I raced gustavs m5 and I think I won by a bit however I lost two attempts against the M3 CSL even though my shifting was near perfect and I know that the second race was pretty even start. I would like to race the M3 CSL from 0-max but unfortunatly I don't know any M3 CSL owners willing to do so or any M3 E92 owners either (in Latvia or Sweden).

I certainly am not biased towards BMW (if in doubt read my lips... no sorry plates) but I have to admit the BMW's are tough cars to beat. Would I want one... hell no, but that's just me. Also like many people have pointed out rolling starts are not to Audis advantage. Also there is one thing that kinda gets at me and that is that I never tried the rolling start from first gear. I think that might just have been enough to beat the CSL or at least tie.

Anyhow my next car might not be an Audi. I am going to test drive the RS6 next week and then I have some tough decision to make. Wait for R8 V10 or GTR VSPEC or go for the RS6 now. I like the RS6 but for me it's kinda like a grandad car :-). Also I have the option of getting rid of the RS4 and going for a gallardo or something but with my fiancee talking about having babies every other day that seems like a hard sell unless there is a baby seat option and I go for pink ;-). And seriously what plates would I have on a gallardo!? Ferrari H8R is too long...

So far I haven't lost many races on the roads and I've raced quite a few cars that should whip mine. However did loose to a tuned RS4 B5 which kinda hurt, but more due to the fact that I didn't feel comfortable going 220Km/h + on public roads with modest traffic :-(. However a week later I won over a M3 E92 so it made me feel better :-).

The RS4 is a great car but still I haven't seen any facts I trust 100% which is best M3 E92 or RS4. I'll know that once I get to race an M3 for real. From 0-??? and also rolling starts. Then at least I'll know which is better for ME. Both cars are enginerring masterpieces.

Just my two centims.

// jpb

Quote Originally Posted by bobey View Post
    Seriously people why all the hate and conspiracy about m5board. I have been to Gustavs 2nd event. Although I don't really know him that well he is cetainly a normal guy and not the devil like some of you seem to think (have you ever even met him in person).

At the event I raced several BMW's. I raced gustavs m5 and I think I won by a bit however I lost two attempts against the M3 CSL even though my shifting was near perfect and I know that the second race was pretty even start. I would like to race the M3 CSL from 0-max but unfortunatly I don't know any M3 CSL owners willing to do so or any M3 E92 owners either (in Latvia or Sweden).

I certainly am not biased towards BMW (if in doubt read my lips... no sorry plates) but I have to admit the BMW's are tough cars to beat. Would I want one... hell no, but that's just me. Also like many people have pointed out rolling starts are not to Audis advantage. Also there is one thing that kinda gets at me and that is that I never tried the rolling start from first gear. I think that might just have been enough to beat the CSL or at least tie.

Anyhow my next car might not be an Audi. I am going to test drive the RS6 next week and then I have some tough decision to make. Wait for R8 V10 or GTR VSPEC or go for the RS6 now. I like the RS6 but for me it's kinda like a grandad car :-). Also I have the option of getting rid of the RS4 and going for a gallardo or something but with my fiancee talking about having babies every other day that seems like a hard sell unless there is a baby seat option and I go for pink ;-). And seriously what plates would I have on a gallardo!? Ferrari H8R is too long...

So far I haven't lost many races on the roads and I've raced quite a few cars that should whip mine. However did loose to a tuned RS4 B5 which kinda hurt, but more due to the fact that I didn't feel comfortable going 220Km/h + on public roads with modest traffic :-(. However a week later I won over a M3 E92 so it made me feel better :-).

The RS4 is a great car but still I haven't seen any facts I trust 100% which is best M3 E92 or RS4. I'll know that once I get to race an M3 for real. From 0-??? and also rolling starts. Then at least I'll know which is better for ME. Both cars are enginerring masterpieces.

Just my two centims.

// jpb
    Is there a video between you and Gustav's M5?

Quote Originally Posted by KK265 View Post
    I've personally raced Gustavs M5 at one of his events. The M5 beat the RS4, there's no doubt about this and I think the run was fair. I didn't run my car as agressive as he did and in the heat of the moment I forgot to switch off both air con and traction control. This would aboviously have made a difference.

Nonetheless, the two cars should be very close performance-wise all factors same.

In general, I too have seen a lot of biased comments on the m5board, but this goes both ways and conspiracy theories are tiring and speculative at best. For good comparisons one should obviously always stick to professional tests. For entertainment though - I think any m5event or other youtube video ticks the box.
    Audi RS4
    "The ringmaster"

BMW M coupe
    "Itīs a lot like nothing else"

Yes there should be as Gustav filmed it (or rather it was filmed from his car). However I asked him about this twice but he said he couldn't find it. As it really wasn't a big deal for me I kinda forgot. So eiher it never was filmed (maybe forgot to press record or something :-) ) or the clip is somewhere on one of his tapes and considering how much video he must have of cars I'm not surprised he can't find it :-).

However we could meet again and redo the race. I'd like to start in first gear next time and see if that makes any difference. However at the moment I am traveling very much so it would have to be in August or September.

// jpb

Yes there should be as Gustav filmed it (or rather it was filmed from his car). However I asked him about this twice but he said he couldn't find it. As it really wasn't a big deal for me I kinda forgot. So eiher it never was filmed (maybe forgot to press record or something :-) ) or the clip is somewhere on one of his tapes and considering how much video he must have of cars I'm not surprised he can't find it :-).

However we could meet again and redo the race. I'd like to start in first gear next time and see if that makes any difference. However at the moment I am traveling very much so it would have to be in August or September.

// jpb
    The problem is that he lost so he "lost " the video.....

The problem is that he lost so he "lost " the video.....

Exactly what i thought.

Thank you!

More movies are coming. Did you see the vidoes and pics of hte third event?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=118994

Haha True! I will start puttign up alot more videos this month

Also, next event might be in September.

or the clip is somewhere on one of his tapes and considering how much video he must have of cars I'm not surprised he can't find it :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Haha True! I will start puttign up alot more videos this month

Also, next event might be in September.
    I would like to see the race between you and bobey.Is it possible please?

Yes, we raced and it was quite even when it was very hot (30-35 degrees celsius).

I would like to see the race between you and bobey.Is it possible please?

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Yes, we raced and it was quite even when it was very hot (30-35 degrees celsius).
    So audis are good for hot air when BMWs are good for cold air...

So audis are good for hot air when BMWs are good for cold air...
    This might be the FSi working to give the advantage to the RS4 is the hot air, maybe something similar happens a altitude.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    This might be the FSi working to give the advantage to the RS4 is the hot air, maybe something similar happens a altitude.
    Today (38 Celsius degrees) I had a few races with an M3 and an Lexus IS-F.

Rolling starts from 60 to 240 km/h.Lexus was 3 car lengths front of me at the end and M3 was the same as RS4.Lexus has very fast changes.M3 could not pass the RS4.In one case he tried on third (70 km/h) when i was on second and I passed him 3 car lengths.So is a myth to me that an stock M3 E 92 humilitates an RS4
    as we show on Gustav's events.

Thanks for sharing. It would be interesting to repeat those tests using standing starts instead of rolling starts.
    2003 Audi S4 saloon (gone but not forgotten...)
    1998 Audi A4 1.9TDi quattro Sport saloon

Quote Originally Posted by Mockenrue View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It would be interesting to repeat those tests using standing starts instead of rolling starts.
    Lexus had traction problem on Greek public road under 38 Celsius degrees.It did 5,7 and 5,8 in two attempts for 0-100.So no chance against RS4.M3 did 5,2 secs also.