Thread: RS6 anti-theft

RS6 anti-theft

Does anyone know if the RS6 has better anti-theft devices from factory than the S4 that came to the USA?
    Just wondering what other buyers are doing to protect them against the scum of this world.

I know it has Immobilzer III, but it doesn't have GECKO, the new system the A8 has
    ----
    Jordan Conley
    03 RS6
    01 TT Roadster
    95 A6Q 2.8
    [IMG]http://www.rs6.com/gfx/racing/001a.jpg[/IMG]

Imho, the problem with devices based on high-tech (which itself created the car-jacking trend due to encoded car keys) are :

- either it's an immediate immobilizer (such as a card which must be around the car to run the engine)
    -> thugs are getting up-to-date and "ask" for it while commiting the car/home-jacking. Or put the driver in the trunk to drive to a remote location to check (example on a BMW X5 4.6is in Paris last May). It can take steel nerves to deny such gizmo's existence when "questionned".

- or it's a remotely-activated device for recovery purposes, so the jacking occured already.

In both cases, they don't really prevent the car-jacking itself.

For that, which is really about protecting yourself before the insured car, I believe these low-tech tricks can do better :
    - go for a flashy color (bright red or yellow, instead of standard grey or black; thugs don't want to drive around in eye-catching stolen cars)
    - always lock doors when driving
    - check around before entering your garage/alley
    - anything suspicious that may require you to stop and exit your car (garbage bin blocking the street/garage entrance, someone knocking off your side mirror), keep driving, and if in your neighborhood, drive by the police station.

Eric
    Last edited by taipan; July 15th, 2003 at 23:06.

Lojak Alerts You

The Lojack system that is being sold with my car will alert you anytime the car is moved. It will either page you or send you a call. That is what the Audi finance officer said. Is anyone aware of this?

The current Lojak system on my S4 does not offer this option, but the new Lojack offered systems do. That's pretty cool if you ask me. That must explain the increase in price for Lojack.

I'm getting this option.

Info here:
    http://www.lojack.com/foryou/early_warning.htm

What is the dealer pricing the fancy Lojack system at?

pricing

The dealer quoted me a price of almost $800.

Just for the sake of clarity, it seems there are two different Lojack products :

http://www.lojack.com/foryou/products.htm

- One Stolen Car Recovery system allowing the police to track the car.
    Now standard on RS6's in France, under the brand "Traqueur". Can also be purchased separately for 290 USD installation, plus either a 85 USD yearly fee or a 280 USD lifetime fee.

- One Early Warning system alerting the owner if the car is moved.
    It looks like an add-on to the pre-required Stolen Car Recovery system.

Eric