Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New S4 engine data

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    someone quotes/claims

350 hp: 6,250-6,900 RPM
    325 lb-ft/440 nm: 2,400-6,250

This would be very nice, exactly what the S4 needs.

lets hope you right. that WOULD be ideal. a bit more power than the outgoing car.

question is. what does audi do to make the same engine produce 290 and 330-350 hp? can't wait to find out.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    lets hope you right. that WOULD be ideal. a bit more power than the outgoing car.

question is. what does audi do to make the same engine produce 290 and 330-350 hp? can't wait to find out.
    290 hp is supposedly achieved @ 4,850 RPM and 350 @ 6,250. So Audi does something to the A6 version so it doesn't gain any extra horsepower past 4,850 RPM. Or maybe they do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    So Audi does something to the A6 version so it doesn't gain any extra horsepower past 4,850 RPM. Or maybe they do nothing.
    Either just change the fuel and timing map - easy software change - or set a low rev limit - also an easy software change.

if it is just about a software thing then that is pure silliness. i'll pimp my wife's A6!

i think there might be more to it. maybe intake and exhaust. i don't see the new base US bound A6 model having a dual exhaust. and in all likelihood, this engine is bound to replace the base A6 engine here, as well us the 3.2 upper level engine in the A4.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    i think there might be more to it. maybe intake and exhaust.
    It's possible that they will fit the S4 version with a variable intake system - short intakes to give good torque low down, but longer intakes to give better power at higher revs.

Personaly I think that it's mistake in this news with mechanical compressor. First news that came from AM&S stated "compressor" but not what kind(turbo or mechanical). If Audi pursue fuel economy than turbo should definitely be choice #1, it's also more efficient than SC - even twin screw. But if they really opted for SC than Eaton is logic only from economy (cheaper than Opcon brands or others such as Whipple) point of view and maybe reliability. In any case 6th generation of Eaton's SC is still Roots, more efficient but it is not compressing air like Twin Screws, just pumping ("blowing") it.
    To get good low end torque they need long runners, short ones are for HP on top of rev range.

Found this on fourtitude.... note that this is for the A6 as it's only 290hp.