Thread: S6 vs. RS6

S6 vs. RS6

S6 owners - anyone previoulsy own RS6 and can give me your comparative comments? TIA
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I don't know do you remember this thread, maybe can help a little...

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=rs+s6

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post

Man that was a blast from the past, I forgot about all those comments I made. :blush:
    Search and you will find the truth.

how do you get your hand on the filter? And what type of filter wrench did you use?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post

That thread was indeed a blast from the past.

Having now owned the "new" S6 for over a year now, it is easier to compare it to my old RS6. In most ways the two cars are quite similar, so the differences I'll note should be taken to highlight the differences at the margin. The S6 may not be quite as fast or visceral -- it of course lacks the RS6's turbo punch -- and it isn't as special as an RS6 , but in other ways the S6 is superior.

S6 has immediate throttle response (FSI and no turbos). My old RS6 had minimal turbo lag, but by comparison it seems glacial in reacting to acceleration input out of a turn or off the line. It may not make a real difference in track times, but the experience is very different. Once its turbos spool up and the revs climb, though, the RS6 has more kick. S6 power band feels much more linear and pulls right out of the gate and keeps on pulling. The steering on the S6 seems more precise, too, though on both cars steering feel and control are excellent.

The S6 also has a better transmission (one more gear, faster and much smoother shifts), has marginally better fuel economy under all types of driving (5% or so), and has a more modern interior and controls (MMI, nav, etc). It just feels more polished. Plus, the S6 has been completely reliable, while the RS6 can require more attention for maintenance and repairs because of its more specialized mechanicals and the greater stresses they are under (turbos, DRC and all). For daily driving, the S6 is more comfortable (in the U.S. the RS6 seats were quite poor; S6 seats rock).

For weekend aggressive driving, like the recent Julian Run (see recent Thread on that), the S6 will keep up with the stock RS6 in almost all situations, given equally competent drivers. Of course, the new RS6 when it arrives Stateside as a sedan will smoke it, but that's apples to oranges.

Can't go wrong with either one. Great cars.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

Nice write up Socal!

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    how do you get your hand on the filter? And what type of filter wrench did you use?

Mike

Mike,

I think you were referring to the other thread maybe?

anyway, I have a lift at work so it makes it a little easier. I used channel locks to break the filter loose, and pulled the filter out by hand through the tight area above and behind the bar. I put the new filter back through the same way being careful not to scratch or score it. And once screwed on, tightened by hand.

sorry for off topic

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    That thread was indeed a blast from the past.

Having now owned the "new" S6 for over a year now, it is easier to compare it to my old RS6. In most ways the two cars are quite similar, so the differences I'll note should be taken to highlight the differences at the margin. The S6 may not be quite as fast or visceral -- it of course lacks the RS6's turbo punch -- and it isn't as special as an RS6 , but in other ways the S6 is superior.

S6 has immediate throttle response (FSI and no turbos). My old RS6 had minimal turbo lag, but by comparison it seems glacial in reacting to acceleration input out of a turn or off the line. It may not make a real difference in track times, but the experience is very different. Once its turbos spool up and the revs climb, though, the RS6 has more kick. S6 power band feels much more linear and pulls right out of the gate and keeps on pulling. The steering on the S6 seems more precise, too, though on both cars steering feel and control are excellent.

The S6 also has a better transmission (one more gear, faster and much smoother shifts), has marginally better fuel economy under all types of driving (5% or so), and has a more modern interior and controls (MMI, nav, etc). It just feels more polished. Plus, the S6 has been completely reliable, while the RS6 can require more attention for maintenance and repairs because of its more specialized mechanicals and the greater stresses they are under (turbos, DRC and all). For daily driving, the S6 is more comfortable (in the U.S. the RS6 seats were quite poor; S6 seats rock).

For weekend aggressive driving, like the recent Julian Run (see recent Thread on that), the S6 will keep up with the stock RS6 in almost all situations, given equally competent drivers. Of course, the new RS6 when it arrives Stateside as a sedan will smoke it, but that's apples to oranges.

Can't go wrong with either one. Great cars.
    Interesting summary. I have a friend with the S6 but have not had a chance to ride in it yet. A very sleek car.

Will you be plumping for the new RS6, out of curiosity?
    Current: 2008 M5 fully loaded, 2008 Tundra 4x4 TRD
    Previous Audi: 2006 S4
    Deposit: 2009 RS6 (cancelled)

That was strange since I was posting from that thread LOL

Quote Originally Posted by got boost View Post
    Mike,

I think you were referring to the other thread maybe?

anyway, I have a lift at work so it makes it a little easier. I used channel locks to break the filter loose, and pulled the filter out by hand through the tight area above and behind the bar. I put the new filter back through the same way being careful not to scratch or score it. And once screwed on, tightened by hand.

sorry for off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
    Will you be plumping for the new RS6, out of curiosity?
    Probably not. Likely will just stick with the S6 for a few more years, as our main family car. I'm on the list for a new R8 though. We'll see what happens, now that the delivery date is finally getting close.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

you gotta get it and take it on the angeles run with us!!