Thread: New A6 speculation (incl. Twin Charged Diesel)

New A6 speculation (incl. Twin Charged Diesel)

2011 Audi A6: Via Artist's Eyes
    Walter da Silva’s continuous march toward design legend seems currently unstoppable. Our artist renderings show the next A6 to be more butch in its delivery, yet still friendly at the same time. As these pictures show, the larger front grille is likely to mirror that of the concept Q7 V12 TDI which exhibits sharp air ducts, while the sides have kinks reminiscent of recent Bangleism.

The A6 is perhaps no longer the design icon of Audi sedans it once was, relying now on other models to redefine itself. A lot of A5 is evident also, as well as new A4 cues. Audi is working on making the A6 much more dynamic as a driver’s car, something that current and previous generations have sorely lacked. To that end a number of gismos will be put to use, including a multi-link rear suspension.

Interior will raise comfort levels by employing such devices as touch-screen LCD to be used with a revised version of Audi’s MMI. The new A6 will be bigger than its current form and will feature a wheelbase that measures around 3 metres and a total length of over 5 metres.

Engines are where a lot of interest could be generated. Volkswagen/ Audi family engines will do duty, including V6, V8, V10 and V12 versions. But the spark, so to speak, could be ignited by Audi’s obsession with diesel, via a rumoured, very powerful but small diesel motor. Sources indicate the motor may be twin charged, using both a turbo and a supercharger to make at least 150kW/ 201 bhp, with over 400Nm of torque on tap.

The Twin Charged Diesel is very interesting. For my country, the importer says 80% of Audis come with a variation of the 4cyl TDI. Granted, that's mostly b/c of taxes on size and horsepower (so the TDI is a cheap way to have lots of Torque) But to see this technology on what is perhaps the most popular engine of the VW-Audi Group is an exciting development. There might come a day that no turbocharger will be without its supercharger sidekick.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

source: world car fans
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

will this 201 hp twin charged engine build by Audi or build by VW???

PS: can Audi build himself a Twincharger engine like VW´s one? i dont like the VW engines in Audi. is it possible that Audi build their own Supercharger + Turbocharger engines (not based on VW´s one)???

please help.
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

Banned
    WOW!! I just love that rendering! I can only hope this is the direction Audi design will go in the future

I disagree with one point, and that is that the current is not dynamic. The A6 4.2 S-Line is a great machine to drive. Easily outclasses the E-Class and overall execution beats in competitors.
    "Four Rings to Rule Them All - Audi"

PS: can Audi build himself a Twincharger engine like VW´s one? i dont like the VW engines in Audi. is it possible that Audi build their own Supercharger + Turbocharger engines (not based on VW´s one)???

please help.
    ~~~And God did ask the stones... wants their Quattro to drive... the stones answered..." no we´re not hard enough".~~~

Quote Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post

please help.
    Stop. It doesn't matter. Go look at the A4 and VW Passat test versus the competition. Audi was first, the Passat was second. They both had the same engine. Mercedes and BMW lost to the A4 and the Passat. http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t..._site_number=2

If anything, there is a reason why Audi/VW or VW/Audi engines are so good. It's becasue they can spend more money on the engine development. Say Audi spends 3 million and VW spends 2 million, that's 5 million for engine development. But on the other hand BMW can only afford 4 million. (These are made up fake numbers, but there probably is some truth in the argument)

I don't think there is a need for a twincharged TDI, a twin turbo 2.0 TDI should be able to produce these figures.

The biggest news from the report is that the A6 will be a lot bigger, that's an 118 inch wheelbase and 197 inches long overall in US measurements. The short wheelbase A8/S8 is 199.3 inches on a 115.9 inch wheelbase.

There is VAGs 2.0 TDI (bi-turbo) ready to go !

204 hp... !

Audi TT TDI will be the first car to recieve it..., I think.

P.S.

There isn't diference between VW and Audi, its one company !

So is Seat, Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti... !

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post

204 hp... !

That means there is no reason for a twincharged TDI.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post

204 hp... !

P.S.

There isn't diference between VW and Audi, its one company !

So is Seat, Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti... !
    and (you forgot) Lamborghini

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    That means there is no reason for a twincharged TDI.
    Torque delivery. Having a compressor for the low end, and boosting up the turbo, increases the powerband, which will increase the overall effeciency of the engine. The horsepower number only shows one moment of the rpm range. So while the number may be the same, the engines might be very different.

Also, Diesels run more effecient as the intake pressure increases, because they count on compression for ignition. The compressor not only increases low end intake pressure, but it also spools up the turbo, so the turbo can built up pressure sooner and higher. This will enable an even more complete combustion of the fuel. (Which ironically is a polution issue, because the more effecient the process, the smaller the waste particles, and the harder they are to handle. They can actually shoot past the katalyst, and can be directly absorbed in the blood via the lungs.)

Diesel at VAG are sold in stages. You can tell them apart by the TDI badge. A base version has a silver badge, the following stage had a silver badge, but the "I" is red, the next stage has a red "DI", and the most powerfull version has a full red "TDI" badge. The article says the twin charged diesel will produce at least 204hp, suggesting the number is for the stage zero, full silver badge, TDI.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

I don't think you will get that much of a benefit versus the complexity of the twincharger setup on the diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by raulg View Post
    and (you forgot) Lamborghini
    Thanks for the correction !

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    I don't think you will get that much of a benefit versus the complexity of the twincharger setup on the diesel.
    The 1.4TSI is actually cheaper to make that the TDI. A compressor is nothing more than a mechanical air pump. Not at all complicated.

And the benifits are huge. Without the compressor, the turbo of the 170hp 1.4TSI would only manage 0,5bar of overboost. With it, it manages 1.8bar.

The TSI also eliminates the main problem with superchargers. Regular superchargers only have optimum performance at a certain rpm (depending on design). The TSI compressor has a two speed gearbox, and cuts out completely once the turbo is spooled up. Thanks to the turbo, the supercharger only has to work at its optimum rpm range.
    Turbo charging has a similar rpm problem with building up boost, but the TSI eliminates this as well.

It's important to understand that the TSI doesn't just double on on boost, like your home made twin charger set up would. The turbo and the supercharger work as a tag team, and fill each others' gaps. Kind of like the sequential Turbo system on the BMW 4cyl, but a lot less complicated.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

Nice car as usual, but I still don't like the doorhandles

I am just saying that a twincharger TDI will probably be more than a twin turbo TDI.