Thread: Audi RS6 Question Please Help!

Audi RS6 Question Please Help!

Alright,

I just bought a used RS6 with only 22,000 miles. I absolutly love the car, and I truly mean that, but The one thing I want to change is the radio system. Ive seen pictures of the European nav systems installed in the rs6, and it looks amazing. Thats the only thing I feel my car needs to really make it feel like an 84k car.(Cant believe that was not stock for a car like this) I have seen threads about people putting european nav units in their RS 6's, but no one really ever says if they actually put it in or not.

So if any one has put a european nav (Either the one that was in the Euro RS6 Lcd, or the ones found in b7 RS4 models, lcd) please let me know where you got it, how much, and if it works or not.

Side note....my car does not have the nav system offered in N.A.(The one that displays words not a map. I dont want any part of that.) Do I need that to install the european nav?

Thanks A lot

Let me be the first to welcome you to the owners club! Make sure to post some info and pic's about your car and update your profile with your location and so on..

If you search "rns-e" on this site I think you'll find everything you're looking for regarding upgraded navigation.

If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Congrats on the car! www.htms.org has all the info you need.

Good information, now all I need to do is buy one. Do you guys think it's really hard to install yourself? or do the pics make it look harder than it is. Im going to ask my dealer about installing it, since im pretty sure the extended warranty doesnt cover the radio anyway.

It's not a horribly difficult installation process to be sure but it is quite expensive if you compare it to an aftermarket solution.

Also, the turn-by-turn system is not bad.

i've done the modificaiton you are contemplating. it is not difficult. i strongly recommend visiting navplus.us (url) where you will see a lot of btdt, as well as vendors with the bits to sell.

get the made-up wiring loom as well.

it's a great mod, well worth it.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

I just bought my RS6 in July (creeping up on 12k mi now) and installing the RNS-e was the best thing I ever did! I picked mine up through NSXjr along with the wiring kit. Other than the reluctant Symphony (didn't want to leave the dash) the install probably only took an hour. If you don't already have the factory nav system then you are probably better off placing a satelite antenna up behind the dash rather than trying to dig the factory one out from the headliner. You will also need to use a VAGCOM (of find someone with one to help) to make the appropiate changes to your car's internal systems so they recognize the RNS-e.
    -----Current-----
    '03 RS6/ Avus Silver/Black interior/CF trim/RNS-e + Sirius + BT/SE exhaust/RS6+ pedal kit/20" forged wheels
    -----Retired-----
    '01 S8
    '90 V8 Executive
    '86 5000 CD Turbo
    '84 5000
    '82 5000

got my (reflashed european unit) rnse off of navplus.us...wiring harness, GPS antennae, radio removal tools in kit, and a few extra things you need to pick up (ties, electrical tape, single long wire, wire taps, a couple of connectors to ease taking it all out later)...easy to do if you follow the instructions posted on navplus.us by 'nene' for the rs6, however i did it in a more simple way (antennae in dash) as also described in the post and in searches here and on Audiworld rs6 forum. I am marknmtt over there. 1000% percent difference in the looks and functionality. You also need to switch out the xm module to one that is compatible with the rnse. Main unit was 1500-1600 for kit (or was anyway) and $400 for the xm module from the dealer...$100-200 if you can find a used one of the right model number.

ps...i did not need to use the VAGCOM as my car somehow figured it out on its own...all functionality was there.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet