Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Audi R8 TDI V12 Concept

Leadfoot,

I definitely want to try one, the same way I tried an Audi 100 S4 years ago. And I know where I am now...

Not to mention an MTM Chip on this V12 TDI...

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by Damienr8 View Post
    1. sounds amazing????
    2. cheaper???
    3. its faster??? - What about the engine is faster?
    4. racing heritige??? - how long has hit been around??? Or are you stating that the fact it has been used in the R10?
    1. I've already answered this.

2. Cheaper to run than a standard R8, it does 24mpg, same as my 4.2 A8, and this is a 6.0 super car!

3. The torque of a 500bhp diesel engine will make the car feel unbelievably quick, similar to as leadie said LP640's and Zonda's.

4. The fact that the R10 race car has dominated the top end of the finishing tables for the past few years, and has won countless other endurance racing titles.

Listen guys I don't know for sure how fast this thing will be but I have been doing the sums and based on what I was told about the weight plus the gearbox choice, I believe that this should be capable of matching the above cars, if not in acceleration to 120mph but definitely after this speed.

PWT will be about the same as the RS6, maybe a little better but torque will be leagues ahead of any other supercar with the possible exception of the CXX and the Veyron (the only ones which spring to mind).
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by +44 Dave View Post
    4. The fact that the R10 race car has dominated the top end of the finishing tables for the past few years, and has won countless other endurance racing titles.
    The V12 TDI from the R10 and the V12TDI for the R8 will have nothing in common...

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Balsen View Post
    The V12 TDI from the R10 and the V12TDI for the R8 will have nothing in common...

Frederic
    Actually that statement is technically wrong Frederic.

They both have 12 cylinders and diesel feeding their lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by +44 Dave View Post
    1. I've already answered this.

2. Cheaper to run than a standard R8, it does 24mpg, same as my 4.2 A8, and this is a 6.0 super car!

3. The torque of a 500bhp diesel engine will make the car feel unbelievably quick, similar to as leadie said LP640's and Zonda's.

1. Subjective.
    2. I don't think that anyone who is purchasing a 150K supercar cares about gas prices, However you are correct in saying that it is efficient.
    3. Please explain the advantages to me of such a high torque figure in a car that weighs more then the existing R8. Apart from standstill acceleration, would that mean faster cornering exit speeds?
    4. Different V12 man. However I acknowledge that you are comparing 2 TDI vechicles.

Can someone elaborate on the torque advantages. Thanks! If I do not reply, I left work early, have a pleasant weekend everyone!

"Horsepowers sell cars, torque wins races..." *Carroll Shelby*
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post

You beat me to it Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    In LeMans maybe but, not in F1...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    In LeMans maybe but, not in F1...
    Well now, I wonder which one would win the race to 220mph if both engines were restricted to the same horsepower. Would it be the F1 machine or the LeMans car.

I think we all know the answer to that one.

In fact put anyone without racing experience in a F1 car and I doubt they will even get it off the line with the first half dozen goes, try the same thing in the R10 and it's a different story.............that's what torque does for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Well now, I wonder which one would win the race to 220mph if both engines were restricted to the same horsepower. Would it be the F1 machine or the LeMans car.

I think we all know the answer to that one.

In fact put anyone without racing experience in a F1 car and I doubt they will even get it off the line with the first half dozen goes, try the same thing in the R10 and it's a different story.............that's what torque does for you.
    First, I was not comparing Le Mans and F1-I just pointed out that there is a difference between different engine conccepts.

Other thing-did you really test drive both S5 and A5 3.0 TDI? Well, I did and IMHO it is way easier to start smoothly with S5 then with A5 3.0TDI(despite very eager E-throttle setup on S5). With A5 3.0TDI you have to work out turbolag(ok, small one but, still there)...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Other thing-did you really test drive both S5 and A5 3.0 TDI? Well, I did and IMHO it is way easier to start smoothly with S5 then with A5 3.0TDI(despite very eager E-throttle setup on S5). With A5 3.0TDI you have to work out turbolag(ok, small one but, still there)...
    Mate, come on. :eye:

I test drive the A5 3.0TDi at it's launch and I found the thing amazing, sure the 335d can pull harder but such was the ability of the engine it just blew me away and changed what I thought diesels were capable of, it would pull for as little as 750rpm in top gear, this is something that very few petrol engined cars can do cleanly never mind a diesel. So instead on the old idea that you enter a city and only the first three gears are of use with this you find it's just as capable as any big petrol engined car. Like I said before, why put an automatic to this when the manual is all the gearbox you will ever want or need.

I know there is turbo-lag but like everything once you are use to the way any car behaves you adapt your driving style to suit, plus lag is only really present when you find yourself in the wrong gear and off boost. And I also said that I didn't drive both back to back, several months had passed when I finally drive the S5 and remember saying that I preferred the S5 but that is the petrol-head (bad chose of words) coming out in me who can't go pass performance if it's available in such a refined package like the S5. But this is not taking anything away from the A5 3.0TDi which is one of the very best diesel engined cars currently available.

But back to the weight of the R8TDi, you say you have seen some spec on the thing, did it happen to show you what was the projected weight of the car as I was informed that 1900kgs was well off the mark and the weight would end up closer to the R8v10 than your estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Mate, come on. :eye:

I test drive the A5 3.0TDi at it's launch and I found the thing amazing, sure the 335d can pull harder but such was the ability of the engine it just blew me away and changed what I thought diesels were capable of, it would pull for as little as 750rpm in top gear, this is something that very few petrol engined cars can do cleanly never mind a diesel. So instead on the old idea that you enter a city and only the first three gears are of use with this you find it's just as capable as any big petrol engined car. Like I said before, why put an automatic to this when the manual is all the gearbox you will ever want or need.

I know there is turbo-lag but like everything once you are use to the way any car behaves you adapt your driving style to suit, plus lag is only really present when you find yourself in the wrong gear and off boost. And I also said that I didn't drive both back to back, several months had passed when I finally drive the S5 and remember saying that I preferred the S5 but that is the petrol-head (bad chose of words) coming out in me who can't go pass performance if it's available in such a refined package like the S5. But this is not taking anything away from the A5 3.0TDi which is one of the very best diesel engined cars currently available.

But back to the weight of the R8TDi, you say you have seen some spec on the thing, did it happen to show you what was the projected weight of the car as I was informed that 1900kgs was well off the mark and the weight would end up closer to the R8v10 than your estimates.
    1900kg is way step. I would guess less then 4000 lbs. However the V10 may have just a bit heavier than the V8 (just an assumption). While we obviously cant judge exactly how the V12TDI will perform, I suppose there will be minor turbo lag.

Can either you or Kreso explain to me how the lag is in the A5 3.0TDI. Is it say similar to the minimal lag on the 2.0t ?

regards,
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Damienr8 View Post
    Can either you or Kreso explain to me how the lag is in the A5 3.0TDI. Is it say similar to the minimal lag on the 2.0t ?

regards,
    Damien
    To me it's a totally different power delivery, the petrol engine you feel the punch of it's power more readily, the diesel car is more of a surge of power that built from low down and doesn't give the same feeling of acceleration until you look at the speedo and see that the A5 is actually the quicker of the two.