Thread: Audi R8 TDI V12 Concept

Weight? Not as low as you think...

Quote Originally Posted by KresoF1 View Post
    Yea...I bet. (see my older posts)

Question for you guys. Let's compare this:
    1. V10 / 8500 rpm / 510hp / 376lb ft
    2. V12TDI / 1000nm / 500hp

Besides fuel economy, what are the advantages of having this engine in the R8 over the predicted V10 (in strictly engineering terms). Take the statement "Audi wants to stun the world by taking the V12 from the R10 and placing it into the R8", out of the equasion.

I would like to hear some informative comments.

Twice the torque.

Not enough?

May be, but then again they are not as high as you believed either...

I'll go out on a limb and say the R8 TDi will weigh 1760Kgs.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Regarding R8 V12 TDI... Gents, it is a concept that is showing to everybody what Audi is capable of doing...

Diesel V12 although awsome engine even when combined with DSG type gearbox is not IN MY OPINION as sporty or involving from sheer drivers point of view as 5.2L V10(high reving FSI) will be. BUT, this is my personal preference as well...

Few things needs to be seen with V12 TDI-first turbo lag. There will be one(small I presume) and we need to see how Audi is actually incorporating DSG(ups!) gearbox to tame it, specially at the starts...

BTW, real chances for this R8 V12 TDI to reach production are very slim. Projected price could be around €190K in Germany(with Mwst)...

Question for all you-if money is no object would you choose it over this:
    -R8 V10 and A4 2.0TDI(yes, these two will cost the same money as single R8 V12 TDI if Audi decide to make it).

I like R8 V12 TDI concept very much. But, after my R8 there is only one choice for me-R8 V10.

Quote Originally Posted by crespo View Post
    Twice the torque.

Not enough?
    Explain to me the benefits of double the torque, on the increase in weight. I assume that exit speeds through corners might be faster. what else?

Regarding R8 V12 TDI... Gents, it is a concept that is showing to everybody what Audi is capable of doing...

Diesel V12 although awsome engine even when combined with DSG type gearbox is not IN MY OPINION as sporty or involving from sheer drivers point of view as 5.2L V10(high reving FSI) will be. BUT, this is my personal preference as well...

Few things needs to be seen with V12 TDI-first turbo lag. There will be one(small I presume) and we need to see how Audi is actually incorporating DSG(ups!) gearbox to tame it, specially at the starts...

BTW, real chances for this R8 V12 TDI to reach production are very slim. Projected price could be around €190K in Germany(with Mwst)...

Question for all you-if money is no object would you choose it over this:
    -R8 V10 and A4 2.0TDI(yes, these two will cost the same money as single R8 V12 TDI if Audi decide to make it).

I like R8 V12 TDI concept very much. But, after my R8 there is only one choice for me-R8 V10.

Kreso, I agree with you on most points. While I admire the engineering concepts behind the V12TDI R8, I would personally choose to have the V10 in the production model.

I personally don't mind the abundance of torque on the TDI but I would prefer the weight advantages and the high revving noise of the V10.

On the question of R8 V10 & A4 2.0TDI or R8 V12 TDI... Its R8 V12 TDI all the way.

Whats revolutionary and new about a big V10 engine ? Infact that enigne is already used by Lamborghini and Audi. A V12 TDI has so much more, its faster, sounds amazing, more torque, racing heritige, world first so exclusively Audi and not to mention more effecient and cheaper therefore !
    Its the way the brand is moving, Audi's diesel technology is brilliant and they are taking advantage of that. We all expected a V10 5.0 (but Leadie, he had tipoffs though lol) i'm glad its something different and would love to read reviews of car and testdrives as this is what the engine is about.

By the way i dont really like what they've done on the styling, its a bit aftermarket in a tokyo drift sort of way

Quote Originally Posted by +44 Dave View Post
    On the question of R8 V10 & A4 2.0TDI or R8 V12 TDI... Its R8 V12 TDI all the way.

Whats revolutionary and new about a big V10 engine ? Infact that enigne is already used by Lamborghini and Audi. A V12 TDI has so much more, its faster, sounds amazing, more torque, racing heritige, world first so exclusively Audi and not to mention more effecient and cheaper therefore !
    Its the way the brand is moving, Audi's diesel technology is brilliant and they are taking advantage of that. We all expected a V10 5.0 (but Leadie, he had tipoffs though lol) i'm glad its something different and would love to read reviews of car and testdrives as this is what the engine is about.

By the way i dont really like what they've done on the styling, its a bit aftermarket in a tokyo drift sort of way
    V12 TDI sounds amazing....

Did you heard R10 TDI race car? You did? And you think it sounds amazing?

For example IMHO Audi R8, Ferrari 430 Scuderia and Lamborghini Gallardo all sound much, much better then R10 TDI race car.

my mistake.

It sounds futuristic, deep like a bloody spaceship. I would know, i did go to LeMans this year so heard the engine going by doing 200mph and trust me it sounds absolutely astounding, nothing like on TV or any videos. It makes the hairs on your neck stand up, and always sounds like its being thrashed.

Sure its different, but my god in the flesh its good. Its on another level to a Ferrari, not even in the same class, its just different, but still great.

1. sounds amazing????
    2. cheaper???
    3. its faster??? - What about the engine is faster?
    4. racing heritige??? - how long has hit been around??? Or are you stating that the fact it has been used in the R10?

It sounds futuristic, deep like a bloody spaceship. I would know, i did go to LeMans this year so heard the engine going by doing 200mph and trust me it sounds absolutely astounding, nothing like on TV or any videos. It makes the hairs on your neck stand up, and always sounds like its being thrashed.

Sure its different, but my god in the flesh its good. Its on another level to a Ferrari, not even in the same class, its just different, but still great.
    100% agreed; I was there too and managed to stay awake long enough to see most of the race. Seeing (and hearing) the R10s coming through Tertre Rouge at 2am was something to behold.
    2003 Audi S4 saloon (gone but not forgotten...)
    1998 Audi A4 1.9TDi quattro Sport saloon

Turbo lag sound negative. Let's call it "Turbo kick". Going from a VW TDI, I kinda miss it in my bimmer. A perfectly smooth push from the engine may be an engineering acomplishment, but having a turbo kick your backside makes all sorts of chemicals rush you brain. I've read quite a few posts from Porsche Turbo owners who miss that in their VTG 997s. Then again, I've read posts of owners who think the turbo lag is still too much.

Turbo lag is annoying when you're not used to a car, but when you learn to take advantage of it, it's kind of a special relatioship between you and your motor. You feel like you're the only one who can tame the beast. In my TDI I learned to hit the sweet stop every time. My Bimmer is kind of boring in that sense.

According to the website that leaked the video, production is planned for mid 2009. With few exceptions, Audi doesn't do fantasy concepts.
    Mazda MX-5 (Miata NB)

More videos...
    http://www.moskitos.ru/index.php?showid=229

BTW, it is Russian web site...
    Looks so much better than the youtube video. Actually looks very nice and sharp.

guys, guys you are speaking like the people who saw Audi coming in rallye with Quattro ! ! ! Or the people who are saying that turbo engine is not a sporty engine ! ! !

This v12 TDI is going to be so torquey that it is going to scare you ! ! ! ! I saw the V12 TDI recently at Wembley. And trust me it is a hell of a beautifull engine ! ! ! And the poor rear tires are crying their mother when the pilot is accelerating...

Frederic

This new R8 TDI V12 Concept is absolutely brilliant and looks awesome too.

Fredrick,

I agree with you on everything, I am amazed that this concept hasn't been welcomed with open arms. The very thought that anyone could make a diesel engined supercar (yes supercar) is fantastic, but the very fact that this with be one of the quickest supercar in the world is mind boggling. The way this car should be viewed is not a competitor to the likes of the F430 or Gallardo but cars like the 599 and P640, the Zonda etc.

It's not evolutionary but REVOLUTIONARY.
    Search and you will find the truth.