Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GTR posts 7:38 on the ring.

GTR posts 7:38 on the ring.

I know we have all been expecting great things from the new GTR but clearly Nissan are following the rules of who should be quickest on the ring. It should read BMW CSL, then Lamborghini or Ferrari and finally finishing with some Porsche at the top. But Nissan has side stepped all of them and gone right to the top with a time of 7:38.

Here is the video of the lap.
    Search and you will find the truth.

O well the CSL isn't dead

Touring car driver Richard Göransson lapped the track in 7 minutes 22.9 seconds with the Loaded CSL.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=17133

By what do you mean the word 'loaded'.

Is this a stock CSL with all the options or does it really mean modifed to the hilt taking the power north of 450hp and every racing spec option available for the car.

You see one (GTR) is standard while the other (CSL) clearly isn't.

There an R8 from Audi which I bet will hammer the both of them.

See my point.

And the best thing Leadie, there's a Diesel Audi that will hammer them?

Amazing time, Nissan has done it. No doubt!

Leadie - I have read that the best time was in-fact 7:37 and that the track had numerous damp section's. Nissan have said they feel a 7:30 is their target and that is with the standard GTR.

There is talk of a Clun spec GTR ala CSL that will weight 200-300kg less and pack 520hp.

It is a sad day for europe when Godzilla is let out to play

Holy crap! Did you guys notice his time through the Carousel?!? He was never below 100kph!?!?! That is insane!

Having had the opportunity to experience the Nordschleife on several occasion as both driver and passenger (even several time as a passenger of veteran racecar pilot Wolfgang Kaufmann), owning a car that can take it in less than 7min40sec would be just surreal. Owning the same car for less than $80K is even more unthinkable! Even the Race spec M3 GTR I got to ride in (Gote knows who I'm talking about) would be hard pressed to beat that time by much (impossible for me to know it's time since they ran both Northern Loop and GP circuit).

All the talk of "cheap" plasiticy interiors... so what, that is one hell of a car! I couldn't imagine that as a daily driver, but the incredible part is according to all the early mag tests, it is a pussy cat when you want it to be! Just amazing... Well Done Nissan!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by rs-mad View Post
    Leadie - I have read that the best time was in-fact 7:37 and that the track had numerous damp section's. Nissan have said they feel a 7:30 is their target and that is with the standard GTR.

There is talk of a Clun spec GTR ala CSL that will weight 200-300kg less and pack 520hp.

It is a sad day for europe when Godzilla is let out to play
    Wrong, it's an exciting day as we can all demand and hopefully be listened to when we say to the other makes, Audi included that you must do better.

speaking strictly of numbers and frank everyday livability it is a great car.

regarding luxury and frank design, that is a whole other.

can't wait to see what the V10 R8 can do. though, with 500 hp, it would sorely need a DSG to match those kinds of GTR numbers.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I doubt on a track like the ring even the v10 R8 would stand much of a chance against the GTR, maybe on a slower track it might but I still doubt it. This thing is moving the game forward as much as the first GTR did.

P.S.

I heard a wee humour that the R8 is to recieve a new V10Tdi and the engine is also destined for the A8 and possibly Bentleys too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    I doubt on a track like the ring even the v10 R8 would stand much of a chance against the GTR, maybe on a slower track it might but I still doubt it. This thing is moving the game forward as much as the first GTR did.

P.S.

I heard a wee humour that the R8 is to recieve a new V10Tdi and the engine is also destined for the A8 and possibly Bentleys too.
    hate to say it. but i doubt anything with a turbo will ever go into the R8. you just can't cool it without modifying the engine cover a la lambo in order to cool it well enough.

i do think that the V10 R8 could get close to the GTR. but it will weigh more. and it will not have a DSG. if they lighten the R8 with CF panels and such it could match it.

but i am ok with the GTR performing better than my upcoming baby. i'd rather lose a race in an R8 than win in a GTR. but that's just me
    Last edited by RXBG; November 7th, 2007 at 21:07. Reason: misspelling
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

This time was achieved using cut slicks. According to designer, Mr. Mizuno, stock car will lap comfortably around 7.55-7.58, which is still very impressive IMO.
    2004 RS6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by ott View Post
    This time was achieved using cut slicks. According to designer, Mr. Mizuno, stock car will lap comfortably around 7.55-7.58, which is still very impressive IMO.
    haha so it was a little bit of cheating then
    Let's hug it out, bi£ch

OTT - Can you confirm this officially?

Quote Originally Posted by rs-mad View Post
    OTT - Can you confirm this officially?
    hey yeah. sneaky of nissan if this is the case. it is all over the airwaves that this is what the car can do. but they should note that it is not on street tires.

if in fact it is true then it is not much faster than the V8 R8.

i'd like to know officially as well. for the sake of conversation with future nissan enthusiasts.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

HONED AT THE 'RING

GTR chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno told PistonHeads that his baby had covered over 3000 miles at the Nordschleife and avoided other circuits as they were deemed 'too easy'.

Nissan's original target was to beat the 911 Turbo at the 'ring but they ended up worrying the Porsche Carrera GT.

They didn't beat the GT's 7min 32sec lap time, but got a 7.38 in semi-wet conditions.

'We used cut slick tyres' said Mizuno.

'I was not interested in full slick times as this bears no resemblance to a road tyre. 1.2G of force was being pulled in wet and over 2 in dry'.
    Full interview is here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=17066

Can't remember where exactly was information about 7.55-7.58 times, but it was the same guy saying, that most of the test drivers run those laptimes with completely stock GT-R.
    2004 RS6 Avant

thanks ott. that clarifies a lot. doesn't take much away from the fact that the car is still a great performer. but it does make it more realistic.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by ott View Post
    Can't wait to see several magazines in a row run the ring in a production GT-R and not get 7:38. 20 second difference sounds pretty big, but then again the RS4 had a 10 second difference or so with almost race tires and a professional driver vs. normal tires and a normal driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Impossible at the moment. The V10tdi is too wide (including intercoolers) to fit in the R8 chassis. And the heat is a much bigger problem on the V12TDI than it is on the V10...

Regards from Paris,
    Frederic