Thread: Upsolute ECU Upgrade Opinions?

Upsolute ECU Upgrade Opinions?

I just bought an '03 RS6 and have been looking around for ECU upgrades but most are in the 2K-3K range which seems ridiculous. I did find an ECU upgrade available from Upsolute which is much more reasonably priced and offers about the same power and torque increases as the expensive upgrades. Does anyone have this or know anything about it? Thanks.

http://www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by ppfonda View Post
    I just bought an '03 RS6 and have been looking around for ECU upgrades but most are in the 2K-3K range which seems ridiculous. I did find an ECU upgrade available from Upsolute which is much more reasonably priced and offers about the same power and torque increases as the expensive upgrades. Does anyone have this or know anything about it? Thanks.

http://www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html
    all depends how long you want the keep the "chipped" car and how much you wish to spent on repairs.....

When you want to chip WV or KIA where replacemet cost for entire car may be in region of engine or gearbox replacement for somethins lihe RS6 that I'd say the best marketing and cheap price may give you good place to order.

Remaping engine software can be done by a good programmer - it is a software anyway so what's the problem. What happens to the car, is different story - and you will find out.

And this statement from their website:

Is ECU-Tuning detectable during the inspection?

No. Your car dealer can not determine a software modification with his equipment (diagnostic port), since the stock program is used to develop the upgrade, all engine characteristics are original.

sounds IMHO like bs and, unless they have software licenses from all manufaturers they "tune" they are potentialy sooner of later looking for nice letter from friendly shark.

I do not remember that someone discussed this companyon this board in relation with RS6 (or Audi) tunnig, their claim with 340 to 370 hp increase on NA S6 with just a chip, well, that alone would put me off.

Reputable tuner would have reasonable testing with the cars they tune - ask them how many RS6 they did in US and Canada - they should give you references. $300 price for chip tune for RS6 is too good to be true...

You have tuners with track record on RS6 in US and worldwide - just search the board here for "upgrades".
    Last edited by gjg; November 4th, 2007 at 08:02.
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

yeah, and check their customer support - it is in Austria, name is Ali. Ask him, how many RS6 they did, where and REAL cos as the $300 per chip has a disclaimer right under .....
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

www.goapr.com

APR is good, GIAC, MTM I would say go with these since they offer transmission reprogramming as part of the package. You will need it if you upgrade the engine ECU with more boost. Revo and some others are less expensive but you are rolling the dice with the stock transmission program.

I'm going with APR in about a month since they have the engine ECU upgrade, transmission reprogram and it can be turned off back to stock via the cruise control interface. This looks like the best package for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    www.goapr.com

APR is good, GIAC, MTM I would say go with these since they offer transmission reprogramming as part of the package. You will need it if you upgrade the engine ECU with more boost. Revo and some others are less expensive but you are rolling the dice with the stock transmission program.

I'm going with APR in about a month since they have the engine ECU upgrade, transmission reprogram and it can be turned off back to stock via the cruise control interface. This looks like the best package for me right now.
    The ability to switch back and forth is definitely the one that I would go with. Copper, have you gotten pricing, if so, mind sharing?

For what it's worth: The improvement in transmission shift quality alone is big enough that even if I could switch to stock via an interface I never would. I have O.CT, cost $2000 for ECU and TCU.

i hate to say it but I was never able to get the results out of APR. I actually lost power originally. Swapped out my DV's and at least wasn't losing power anymore. But the only setting i made any power on was teh 100oct set.

I don't know if it is my car or their software. I swapped 3 OEM parts for OEM parts without any success (all done at their urging). WHen i finally asked for a refund they were very supportive and didn't try any BS, so rest assured if you are not happy they will make you happy. I was dissapointed because i was REALLY loving the ability to swap programs withthe CC stalk.

im working on OCT at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hmm, I don't have any reference point on APR. The ability to change the programs is appealing since I also use this as my business ride and want to conserve fuel for long distance trips around the Southeast and also have a nice smooth feel when clients are riding in the car with me. I heard that the ECU/TCU upgrades make throttle response a bit touchy. Is that the case with O.TC?

APR wants $2800+ installation. I was going to drive to Auburn, AL and have the factory install it thinking they know best and it is only about a 3 hour drive from Atlanta.

Maybe I should reconsider this. I can't seem to get an exact read on MTM vs. GIAC vs. O.TC (forgot about that one actually) vs. APR

APR has the features I want and are (sort of) in my backyard, so I was thinking of this direction.

Any APR peeps have info? Maybe a separate post is needed. I'll copy this and start a new topic.

Copper, just so you know, the install is very straightforward as a do-it-yourself job. Even at a slow pace, like mine , it's a couple of hours at the most. The only minor tricks involved are getting to the TCU (under the front passenger carpet), and needing to remove the protective harness on the ECU (which requires drilling out & replacing bolts - Stratmosphere provided the replacement bolts when I bought my O.CT from them, and presumably other sellers would do the same).

[quote=Copper;112847]Hmm, I don't have any reference point on APR. The ability to change the programs is appealing since I also use this as my business ride and want to conserve fuel for long distance trips around the Southeast and also have a nice smooth feel when clients are riding in the car with me. I heard that the ECU/TCU upgrades make throttle response a bit touchy. Is that the case with O.TC?

Maybe I should reconsider this. I can't seem to get an exact read on MTM vs. GIAC vs. O.TC (forgot about that one actually) vs. APR

APR has the features I want and are (sort of) in my backyard, so I was thinking of this direction. [quote]

my experience (and some others here) with NORMAL driving chipped car has better fuel mileage. Once you hit the throttle, you are in different region. Than again, wanna dance, gotta pay the music .....

Driving in US, unless you are in Montana or track, you will not drive like on German autobahn anyway and unless you would consistetnly use digital mode, fuel consuption should be reasonable... not the 9 mpg one would see on a good day here ...
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

Mr. Copper.

If you can have the car dyno'd before/after at the apr facility I'd say go for it. Although the product didn't give me the promised results, I'm still not sure if it is my car or the software.. one thing I'm sure of tho, is that APR didn't hassle me over the return, which i greatly appreciated.

Hmm, I don't have any reference point on APR. The ability to change the programs is appealing since I also use this as my business ride and want to conserve fuel for long distance trips around the Southeast and also have a nice smooth feel when clients are riding in the car with me. I heard that the ECU/TCU upgrades make throttle response a bit touchy. Is that the case with O.TC?

APR wants $2800+ installation. I was going to drive to Auburn, AL and have the factory install it thinking they know best and it is only about a 3 hour drive from Atlanta.

APR has the features I want and are (sort of) in my backyard, so I was thinking of this direction.

Any APR peeps have info? Maybe a separate post is needed. I'll copy this and start a new topic.

Quote Originally Posted by gjg View Post

my experience (and some others here) with NORMAL driving chipped car has better fuel mileage. Once you hit the throttle, you are in different region. Than again, wanna dance, gotta pay the music .....

Driving in US, unless you are in Montana or track, you will not drive like on German autobahn anyway and unless you would consistetnly use digital mode, fuel consuption should be reasonable... not the 9 mpg one would see on a good day here ...
    Cars running higher boost levels to a point will be more fuel efficient due to the fact that you're making more torque at lower rpm's. That is up to the point where the boost exceeds the level where the heat generated by the turbo makes it inefficient outside the effective boost efficiency envelope.

Is ECU-Tuning detectable during the inspection?

No. Your car dealer can not determine a software modification with his equipment (diagnostic port), since the stock program is used to develop the upgrade, all engine characteristics are original.
    The dealer can detect software in several ways;

Trying to do a service update some software changes the load routines(as the OS is also on the flash in these), also on some trial software.

Driving the car up the road logging requested/actual boost will give an indicator.

On road test just driving the car!

Some tuners leave ID tags that will come up during diagnostics.