Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: R8 5th gear car of the year

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    The Amazon is a big place, don't go and get yourself lost now.
    Got a guide

Supercar is matter of opinion

Personally I think the term 'supercar' is a matter of opinion. To which we can all share without having to resort to name calling, by any party.

I don't believe that Wikipedia is the last word on what 'supercar' really means, yet they also have their opinion, mostly based on facts compiled to today.

Here is what Wikipedia says how a SUPERCAR is defined.

Cheers lads!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    Personally I think the term 'supercar' is a matter of opinion. To which we can all share without having to resort to name calling, by any party.

I don't believe that Wikipedia is the last word on what 'supercar' really means, yet they also have their opinion, mostly based on facts compiled to today.

Here is what Wikipedia says how a SUPERCAR is defined.

Cheers lads!!!
    You never responded to my pm or my question on here about someone else getting a warning.

Could you please now do this, just to make sure the same rules apply to everyone, not just me

Wikipedia: "The proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts."

Well, they certainly got that bit right!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    Wikipedia: "The proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts."

Well, they certainly got that bit right!

2 Groups really

those who think anything with 2 seats, decent performance and a steering wheel is a supercar, and those that know better

I personally don't think anything with two seat and a wheel is a supercar but if the majority of knowledgeable motoring journalists believe the R8 is then who are we to argue. Sorry I forgot, it isn't we who are arguing with that, only you.

At which point does a car with 2 seats and decent performance finally regarded as a supercar in you eyes.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Banned
    I personally don't think anything with two seat and a wheel is a supercar but if the majority of knowledgeable motoring journalists believe the R8 is then who are we to argue. Sorry I forgot, it isn't we who are arguing with that, only you.

At which point does a car with 2 seats and decent performance finally regarded as a supercar in you eyes.
    i don't think the R8 isn't a supercar, i KNOW it isn't and there and many many other people who agree with me.

A supercar to me, is the best of the best, top of the line, no substitute, no compromise. End of.

Tell me, is the Porsche 997 Carrera S a supercar, is the Lotus Exige a Supercar, a Mercedes CLK 63 AMG Black Series? , Merc SL55 AMG ???

You state the best of the best but that means with ever new version the old one is no longer the best and this now means it's not a supercar. So the F430 isn't a supercar now that the quicker and better handling trackday version has arrived. The same applies to the Gallardo and anything else which gets improved.

The only people I reckon share your opinion on the R8 is the rest of your Ferrari fan club. And this is understandable when you think that now Audi are doing what they do, only doing it even better and for less money.

I agree Leadie. To follow up on stim's sig, let's remember the end of the topgear episode:

1 Koenigsegg CCX (with TG spoiler) 1.17.6
    2 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
    3 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
    4 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
    5 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
    6 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
    7 Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4
    8 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
    9 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
    10 Ford GT 1.21.9
    11 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
    12 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
    13 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4
    14 Lamborghini Murcielago 1.23.7
    15 Pagani Zonda 1.23.8
    16 Noble M15 1.23.9
    17 Koenigsegg 1.23.9

Audi R8 1.24.4

18 Prodrive P2 1.24.3
    19 TVR Sagaris 1.24.6
    20 TVR Tuscan 1.24.8
    21 Mitsubishi Evo FQ 400 1.24.8
    22 Noble 1.25.0
    23 Lotus Exige S 1.25.1
    24 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1.25.7
    25 Lamborghini Gallardo 1.25.8
    26 Morgan Aero 8 GTN 1.25.9
    27 BMW Z4 M 1.26.0
    28 BMW M5 1.26.2
    29 Porsche Cayman 1.26.2

Urm look at how it stacks up against those "supercars"
    Last edited by HKS786; October 25th, 2007 at 01:23.

Hammond: I'll settle this once and for all. I'll put this one to the audience. I'm gonna hold a general election - right here, right now.

Clarkson: Are you sure thats a good idea? This is a very popular car (R8) there's a 30k premium on these at the moment. You go ahead if you want.

Hammond: Actually no, I've suddenly decided that a general election right now is a stupid idea...because I might lose.

PS Aston Martins are NOT reliable. The electrics are crap, trust me, had one
    I was being Sarcastic.

Now that the name calling is over I would like to bring another name for the R8 to the forefront for discussion. I also don't consider the Audi to be a "Supercar". I would say it is a "Halo Car". I think Wikipedia sums this up best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_car

The R8 is the best Audi has to offer all wraped up in one car to showcase the brand and call attention to it to futher the sales of its' lesser models. There is a quite extensive list following the definition and the Audi R8 is amongst them. The R8 doesn't IMHO have the performance and the chache to pull off the "Supercar" moniker properly. Please remember the subject of automobiles is one of the most subjective in the world. Let's everyone try to be respectful of each other even if we think differently. Good natured banter is excepted and encouraged, but please refrain from namecalling, and try to stay on topic "everyone".
    Last edited by Audihead; October 25th, 2007 at 05:15.
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

Audihead,

I personally didn't name call and still regard the R8 as a supercar, my gripe is that stIm only feels free to grace us with his presence when he wants to start arguing and talking everyone down, ie. trying to be smart.

If he doesn't agree with the motoring press then complain to the magazines and television programmes that give out these awards. Like I say the man has issues with Audi and the R8 being awarded the recognition it reserves.

HKS786 is correct as am I that the R8 is doing everything the Ferraris and Lamborghinis of this world are doing and in most case it is doing them better and for least money, the TOPGEAR times prove that the R8 is ahead of them all with regards to handling as it's time was achieved on a damp and slippery track, not the bone dry one which the 360CS and GT3RS did theirs. To disregard the R8 as a supercar is to class the Veyron as not being a supercar, both are without compromises in terms of comfort, reliability and usability, the only difference is the speed between them and this is why I asked the question a what point does a car become classed as a supercar?

Banned
    I think for a car to be considered a supercar, the entire car company must build nothing but supercars/sports cars. Ferrari/Lambo Porsche gets in because they build sports cars, so their Carrera GT is a supercar/hypercar.

Ahem - (coughs) - Porsche also make that magnificent (er, not) beast the Cayenne. Fits fine as a Chelsea Tractor but does somewhat drag down the sportscar/supercar/halocar image of the rest of the range

"Halocar" seems a good fit for the R8 to me.

Banned
    You state the best of the best but that means with ever new version the old one is no longer the best and this now means it's not a supercar. So the F430 isn't a supercar now that the quicker and better handling trackday version has arrived. The same applies to the Gallardo and anything else which gets improved.

The only people I reckon share your opinion on the R8 is the rest of your Ferrari fan club. And this is understandable when you think that now Audi are doing what they do, only doing it even better and for less money.
    Erm, again, going to need you to attend reading lesson's, im not exactly sure how many time i have said this but one more time, for the cheap seats, are you ready;

NO 355,360,430 OR GALLARDO VARIANT IS A SUPERCAR

The cars are built in too many numbers, they are not the best of the best, they are totally compromised. Never ever supercars.

PS - the 430 is worth every single penny over an R8, even forgetting the performance, the noise and excitement of the 430, the sense of occasion and the special feeling you have driving it and the fact every journey becomes an event - makes it something the R8 could never ever touch, regardless of anything.

PPS- Actually no, its people i know who own Ferrari's, Lambo's, Porsche's, Aston's, BMW's and Audi's who are share the FACT that is, that the R8 is not a supercar.

You ignored my question about cars such as the SL55 AMG, Porsche 997 2S and Lotus Exige. I want to know if you deem these as supercars and if so or not, why.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS786 View Post
    I agree Leadie. To follow up on stim's sig, let's remember the end of the topgear episode:

1 Koenigsegg CCX (with TG spoiler) 1.17.6
    2 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
    3 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
    4 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
    5 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
    6 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
    7 Koenigsegg CCX 1.20.4
    8 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
    9 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
    10 Ford GT 1.21.9
    11 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
    12 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
    13 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4
    14 Lamborghini Murcielago 1.23.7
    15 Pagani Zonda 1.23.8
    16 Noble M15 1.23.9
    17 Koenigsegg 1.23.9

Audi R8 1.24.4

18 Prodrive P2 1.24.3
    19 TVR Sagaris 1.24.6
    20 TVR Tuscan 1.24.8
    21 Mitsubishi Evo FQ 400 1.24.8
    22 Noble 1.25.0
    23 Lotus Exige S 1.25.1
    24 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder 1.25.7
    25 Lamborghini Gallardo 1.25.8
    26 Morgan Aero 8 GTN 1.25.9
    27 BMW Z4 M 1.26.0
    28 BMW M5 1.26.2
    29 Porsche Cayman 1.26.2

Urm look at how it stacks up against those "supercars"
    All the proper supercars are above it

Thanks for helping me prove my point !!!

Banned
    Audihead,

I personally didn't name call and still regard the R8 as a supercar, my gripe is that stIm only feels free to grace us with his presence when he wants to start arguing and talking everyone down, ie. trying to be smart.

If he doesn't agree with the motoring press then complain to the magazines and television programmes that give out these awards. Like I say the man has issues with Audi and the R8 being awarded the recognition it reserves.

HKS786 is correct as am I that the R8 is doing everything the Ferraris and Lamborghinis of this world are doing and in most case it is doing them better and for least money, the TOPGEAR times prove that the R8 is ahead of them all with regards to handling as it's time was achieved on a damp and slippery track, not the bone dry one which the 360CS and GT3RS did theirs. To disregard the R8 as a supercar is to class the Veyron as not being a supercar, both are without compromises in terms of comfort, reliability and usability, the only difference is the speed between them and this is why I asked the question a what point does a car become classed as a supercar?
    You the one trying to be smart whilst not understanding basic English words

The R8 is NOT doing things better than Ferrari or Lamborghini, you'd have to be a absolute plank to say an R8 is better car than any 430 or Gallardo, its simply a load of shite.
    If you want to being value for money into it, to some the R8 would have this, to me it doesn't. I don't like Porsche's at all, in any way, but i'd much rather spend £100k on a 977 Turbo, GT3, GT3 RS than a £90k R8 - The R8 wouldn't even feature on my radar until it drops to around the £60k mark.

A supercar is the pinnacle a car company can make and certain othert criterea i have said time and time again. Seriously get some reading lessons or get yourself to specsavers. I heard they have some deals on