Thread: Why no more Alloy/steel bodies?

Why no more Alloy/steel bodies?

Is anyone else surprised to see Audi not continuing it's use of aluminium/steel body constructions like they did in the TT. I would have thought it would have been their best way of achieving the desired weight balance they are seeking.

Maybe it's still to complicated for mainstream production in the numbers that the A4/5 and 6 will be produced in.
    Search and you will find the truth.

too expensive probably.

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    too expensive probably.
    +1 I think cost is the most prominent factor here.

I don't think it's cost that is the problem here, I reckon it's the shear scale of production that's the problem. The TT hasn't increased anything over the old model or has the difference between it and the A3 increased over the difference in the old A3 vs old TT so clearly Audi were able to keep the price of production in check.

Look at the model which have all had this type of construction, A8, A2 and TT Mk2, all models with limited production runs compared to the like of the A4.

I do think it will come but clearly production procedures haven't reach to level where this is possible.

$$$$$$$$ and extra production time.
    [IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bushido01s4/mcaskyline.jpg[/IMG]

THe price of Aluminum went through the roof in the last 2 years... from 1600$ a ton to peaks of 2800/3000$... The oems are not willing to swallow the extra cost as the customer is not willing to see the price of the car fluctuate that much... Moreover whelding Aluminum if extremely expensive and difficult in comparrison with steel... combining the 2 is even harder as they can hardly be whelded together efficently. This is incresing costs even more. So unless they will be able to transfer these costs down to their customers they will drive away from thys type of solution for mass production. The return on the investment to supply mass production Aluminum is simply not there.... After all Weight is not our main concern... Power is... so there is where they are investing their money! When Mr. x goes to the dealer and asks about a car he wants to know how much fuel it drinks and how many ponied it's got! not the weight... if females were the only customers for car... maybe the weight would become a key factor in the decision process!!!

You are wrong about the women thing. All they want to know is, do I look sexy in this.

Leadie, my management approved ....
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

Agree!!!! I got that wrong!!!! and I would add... doet it come with gucci carpets and prada seats?

On the other hand when I'm choosing I'm all about CF...

Mmmmmm Carbon Fiber oooohhhhhhhh