Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RS6 Eye witness news from IAA Frankfurt

No 1 RS6 Eye witness news from IAA Frankfurt

Hi everyone

I was at the Audi press conference and Audi RS6 and A4 World premiere yesterday.
    After that I quickly had to head back north and had a fun time on mostly free Autobahns. I didn't get back yet, so I didn't have a chance to download pictures etc. yet, they can be expected early next week. Please be patient, I'm lucky to have Internet in my danish hotel

So here's a brief overview of some thing I learned.

First of all, all car manufacturers have gone nuts to answer the market with environmentally friendly vehicles (not that there is such a thing).
    Although Audi released Q7 hybrid e-diesel etc. the FIRST THING they introduced in the press conference was the Audi RS6 Avant. They are really proud of it, and to show such a performance car with 580 hp among all “green cars” really takes some guts, but it’s the sort of press conference we (at least I) all like.

There were 2 Audi RS6 Avants in the Audi stand, one Ibis White and one Misano Red.
    The misano red had Audi exclusive interior (not sure about the white).

The RS6 body shape is made to resemble to the ur-quattro. Yes it is quite wide, but it looks very good. I was attending the show with some hard core BMW people, and they are all positive to the car and especially the looks.

A very nice touch was that Audi added a metallic line to the door openers, which goes in the same color/material as the trim around the windows.

The RS6 has a rear diffuser, looks pretty mean on an Avant I must say.

The seats are the same as the S6, but with RS6 insignia.

There are no fog lights, just like the M5. They need every square centimetre they can get to cool the engine. Instead there are LEDs built in normal daylights.

The quattro is the same as the A6/S6, 40:60 split.

The Tiptronic has paddles and shifting is 30-40% faster than the old RS6. The tiptronic will do “rev-blips” when going down through the gears, just like the SMG. Can’t wait to try that one! According to my source the tiptronic in the RS6 is just as good as a DSG (not that I fully believe him, but it sure sounds like good news).

Future options will be very similar to last time: sports exhaust, RS6 carpets etc. will be released.

There are new colors available. Or at least they have new names.

There will be an RS6 Limo.

ESP has 3 settings. Full, track mode and OFF... (finally we get the €100.000 button)

V Max removal from quattro GmbH = 280 km/h.

There is no official or unofficial time at Nürburgring, but the 0-200 km/h time is what the R&D department reported.

The press will probably get test cars in the beginning of 2008.

Any bad news? Unfortunately yes. The car will not be sold in the USA, mainly due to emissions and the cost of making new bumbers and other US specific parts. Big mistake if you ask me, if Audi wants to grow on a market dominated by MB and BMW they will have to rethink.

I took pictures of the BMW M5 Touring and the RS6 Avant and I plan to make a comparison with pictures, then you can really see how special the RS6 is.

BONUS: I have 2 Audi RS6 Avant sales brochures. I will have to keep one myself, but what do I do best with the spare one? Lottery, bidding, give it to “RS6.com member of the year”? Please give me your ideas at rs6com@gmail.com or via pm

I hope you learnt something, now I'm off for a pint or two...

Best regards
    Erik B

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Not my pictures, but you get the idea.

The red is quite difficult to take shots of, the wider body doesn't show nearly as good as in reality.

to Erik!!!! That is one huge red uberwagen......

Sadly though it didn't blow me away as I thought it would.......

Erik, thanks for the posting info on RS6.
    Didn't they mention the real time of appearance RS6 in the market (both for Avant and Limo)?

Well done Eric!!! Was it inspiring in life? How did you feel about it? For sure is pecial and the numbers released or speculated so far are a hint of the potemtial of this machine but... the personla feeling when you are standing next to it has a whole lot more involment!!! SO DID YOU FALL IN LOVE?

They didn't mention it, but I have another source for that but my memory...

I think early 2008 for the Avant, then you can own one of the first.
    Release of RS6 Limo around summer 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by MR USER View Post
    SO DID YOU FALL IN LOVE?
    Thanks!

Of course I'm in love, but I'm pretty biased

I like everything except the lack of DSG, but I don't see this being solved in a technical way anytime soon. Then the tiptronic might be pretty good, so we'll see.

And I don't like the fact it won't get to the US, altough it doesn't affect me personally I feel symapthy for those who want it, are ready to pay for it but can't get it.

This will stop the Current RS4 from looking dated

Agree with you about our frinds across the pond... maybe if they make loads of noise.... and kidnapp cuple dealers and AoA emplyees... they might just get a chance.

Else If any american Member of RS6.COM wants to buy an RS6 I will be more than happy to keep it in my garege and I will make sure it's always nicely polished!!! All this for free!!!! JUST PM me!!!

On top of it they can stay over my apartment in Geneva whenever they feel like coming over and driving theur baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post

First of all, all car manufacturers have gone nuts to answer the market with environmentally friendly vehicles (not that there is such a thing).
    Although Audi released Q7 hybrid e-diesel etc. the FIRST THING they introduced in the press conference was the Audi RS6 Avant. They are really proud of it, and to show such a performance car with 580 hp among all “green cars” really takes some guts, but it’s the sort of press conference we (at least I) all like.

And I don't like the fact it won't get to the US, altough it doesn't affect me personally I feel symapthy for those who want it, are ready to pay for it but can't get it.
    Thanks Erik!

I agree, the dang PC tree huggers are messing with our cars! LOL!!!

And yes, I feel sorry for all those over here that want the MkII RS 6 but will likely NOT get the chance to own it. It will need to cost @$120K here, and in that range, I don't see a lot of takers (myself included).

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Sigh... no US RS6? Stupid move Audi, stupid move.

Well, on the plus side, our 2003 RS6's will jump in value quickly.

I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the S6 in a few years or GASP back to BMW I go.

Maybe they will figure it out and are just trying to slam dunk US sales if the demand is there? Who knows.

So disappointed....

Nice write up Erik!

..now, about that other brochure

Thanks Erik for your update info live from the IAA FRankfurt, it's very appreciated.

i wonder if the RS^ limo will have a HO engine. mebbe with 600 hp?
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Thanks for the livereport on the beast, can't wait for more pics and so on! Thumbs up!

Great write-up Erik, as always.

Not many people are commenting on the alloys but I think they are quite possibly the most beautiful rims ever to grace a car and hope that they become available on the options list of the S5 very soon.

As for the car itself, well what can I say without seeing the thing in real life for myself. It looks amazing and no doubt those arches make it look possibly wide and mean looking. As for the gearbox, I was told exactly the same thing as Erik, it's meant to be as close to the DSG as possible in performance without actually being a DSG.

Great to hear the saloon has finally been signed off. But sad news for the US members, hopefully something may happen in the future to allow the RS6 saloon to make it Stateside.
    Search and you will find the truth.

BONUS: I have 2 Audi RS6 Avant sales brochures. I will have to keep one myself, but what do I do best with the spare one? Lottery, bidding, give it to “RS6.com member of the year”? Please give me your ideas at rs6com@gmail.com or via pm

I consider the sales brochures as mine. Was about to have a drive with my RS4 a few minutes ago, this is what hit me in the face.

And yes, its true. Will not be sleeping tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bild0781.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	5531  
    MTM RS6-R MY09 Suzuka Grey
    LP570-4 Performante MY11 Balloon White

Quote Originally Posted by Ricoloco View Post
    I consider the sales brochures as mine. Was about to have a drive with my RS4 a few minutes ago, this is what hit me in the face.
    And yes, its true. Will not be sleeping tonight.
    Oh no! S**t! At least they were kind to lift the car...

You have made it to the Top 3 Automatically out of sympathy.